Do you want more website traffic?
Of course you do, who doesn’t want to get more visitors to their website?
Some website owners believe that it is very difficult to drive traffic to their website but it isn’t. It will take some time, effort and possibly money to do it but it is certainly worth it. You can have the sexiest website on the planet but if it is hiding among the other 1.8 billion websites and you only have a trickle of visits what’s the point?
There are free ways to boost your website traffic and there are paid methods. The main advantage of paying for traffic is that you can test quickly and easily. Some of the free methods will bring traffic quickly too, so let’s take a look at the best 8 ways to boost traffic to your website.
1. Driving Traffic from Social Media
This one will probably not surprise you. The opportunities for you to drive traffic from social media platforms are almost endless. Most website owners are aware of these opportunities but do not know the best tactics to deploy for achieving the best results.
A lot of businesses believe that they need an active profile on all of the major social media platforms. This takes a great deal of effort and coordination and really isn’t necessary. The type of business that you want to promote will dictate which social media platforms are best for you:
- Facebook – virtually any type of business can benefit
- Twitter – similar to Facebook in that many different businesses can benefit
- Pinterest – if you sell your products with images (ecommerce etc) then Pinterest is a must
- Instagram – good for a younger target market
- LinkedIn – if you sell to other businesses then you must have a LinkedIn profile
There are other social media platforms that you can use as well such as Google +, Reddit, Snapchat and Tumblr. Do your homework here. Where does your target audience hang out? You need to get in front of the right traffic.
2. Giveaways and Contests
Once you have established a following on social media and elsewhere you can enhance your website traffic by offering giveaways and contests. People like to get stuff for free and winning things gives them a real buzz.
Before you embark on giveaways and contests you need to accept that there will be spikes of website traffic while they are running and this will severely tail off afterward; There will be some visitors who have no other interest in your website other than the giveaway or contest. But there will be a number of visitors that will stick around.
To get the best results form a giveaway or contest event you will need to promote them as much as possible. The freebies or prizes need to be worth it too. If there is hardly any value on offer then the traffic will be low. Here are some important questions to answer for launching a great contest:
- What is the goal of your contest? Is it just increased website traffic or do you want to increase your social media engagement as well?
- When is the best time to launch your contest?
- What type of contest will you launch? Do you want a simple contest that anyone can enter or one that requires specific skills?
- Which prizes will you offer? Think high value here. Find sponsors to donate prizes.
- What rules apply to your contest?
- How will you promote your contest right up until it ends?
- What tools do you need to monitor the effectiveness of your contest?
3. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
With every page that you create on your website you need to optimize to give you the best chance of ranking in the major search engines. You do not have to be an SEO expert to optimize your website. Just follow a few simple rules and you will be fine. Here are the important areas of on page optimization:
- Keyword research – you must do this first and then create content around your chosen keywords
- Page title – add your main keyword in the title
- Headings – use sub headings in your content and use the H1 – H4 tags
- Body text – include your main keyword and secondary keywords in the body of your content. Don’t overdo it
- Meta description – this is important as it is what the search engines will display under your page title. Add keywords here
There are other important aspects to SEO as well. One of these is the speed of your website and its pages. If you have a slow website then you need to fix it. Another important aspect is how your website looks on a mobile device. Again be sure to fix this if it is a problem. You can get a free SEO audit of your website to get you started.
SEO is a long-term strategy for boosting traffic to your website. You need to do some keyword research and understand the competitiveness of the keywords you want to rank for. There are plenty of experts that you can outsource this task to.
4. Email Marketing
Are you collecting email leads on your website? If you are not then you need to start doing this right now. Staying in contact with potential customers is very important as new visitors to your website will not always take the action that you want the first time around.
There are several advantages to using email marketing to boost traffic to your website:
- It is fairly easy to set up (plenty of help is available if you need it)
- You just need an autoresponder service starting from around $20 a month
- People will respond to well crafted emails
- You can drive traffic on demand
To get people to join your email list you need to offer them a valuable incentive. People are often reluctant to join a list because they know they will receive promotional offers. Give them some valuable content such as a guide or video training. You can offer discounts as well.
5. Content Marketing
Creating valuable content related to your niche is another great digital marketing method to boost your website traffic. It is much better to go for quality and value than quantity. Don’t just pump out low-quality content because you think you need to do this. This will have the opposite effect and your website visitor numbers will start to decline.
There are many different types of content that you can create. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- “How to” blog posts with images
- List based posts
- Case studies
Distribute your high-value content on your blog and on your social media channels. Find out what your audience wants and give it to them. What problems do they need to solve? Mix up the content types for variety so that you maintain your visitor’s interest.
6. Video Marketing
Although video marketing is part of content marketing it deserves a special mention. People love watching videos and if your videos are appealing then they will tell others about them. YouTube is the second largest website in the world and videos on Facebook are the most popular posts by far.
You do not need to hire an expensive studio to create a good video. There are free video editing programs available and you will need a good quality camera and microphone. Over the shoulder videos are popular to teach people how to use software and online services.
To make a great video consider the following:
- How can you stand out from the rest? Add your personality to your videos
- Tell people about your business and what’s coming up
- Add value by providing solutions to problems
- Use a good story in your videos
- Get the right tools – camera, microphone, video editing software, screen recording software
- Write a video script
- Get your video out there to YouTube and social media
7. Guest Blogging
Writing a guest post for a blog that already has a lot of visitors is a good way to boost your website traffic. You need to find blogs related to your niche that has high traffic first. Then find out if they accept guest posts.
Follow these guidelines for successful guest blogging:
- Abide by the guest post rules defined by the blog owner
- Write high quality posts
- Don’t make your post look like an ad
- Providing solutions to problems works well
8. Paid Traffic
Sometimes it pays to put your hand in your pocket and do some advertising. The major advantage to paid traffic is that you will get more visitors quickly. This does not have to cost you the Earth either, but you need to keep control of your spending.
Here are some ideas for paid advertising to attract more visitors:
- Pay Per Click – Google Adwords and Bing Ads are examples. You pay for the amount of clicks to your website
- Social Media Ads – you can boost posts on Facebook and other social platforms. Most of the big platforms have advertising opportunities
- Native Ads – these are ads that don’t look like ads on high traffic websites
- Pay Per Impression – you create a banner and display it on a high traffic website. You are only paying for display impressions here
So there you have it 8 great ways to boost your website traffic. You can use some of these methods or all of them. The important thing is that you take action. Don’t tolerate a trickle of traffic to your website – do everything that you can to increase your visitor numbers.
Sharing is caring!
Please Rate This Article:
If you like this article, then please give us a rating by locating “user rating” (see below) and click on a star between 1-5. If you like this article, then please share this page on your favorite social media platform. We appreciate you taking the time to visit our site.