Join
+ 115 more

Affiliate Marketing Mistakes to Avoid

DGStaff

DG Staff
Credits
Rate Post
5.00 star(s)
Affiliate marketing is one of the most simple online money making options on the internet. You don't have to be an expert to be a success however you do need to avoid the following affiliate marketing mistakes, and if you know very little about affiliate marketing, then do some research.

Success is Not Instant

If you are expecting instant success as an affiliate marketer you are going to be disappointed. You need to work hard and be really patient when you want to be a successful affiliate marketer. It is important not to feel like success should be instant as it will just cause frustration and will probably cause you to give up, and case studies have shown, if you rely on SEO/Marketing, then expect a long wait, and in some cases as long as a year for a new site, why? Because Google does not trust new sites, and you have to earn your way like every other site before you, once Google starts to trust your site, then you will start to see more, and more things happen.

Don't Target a Wide Audience

You do not want to target a wide audience when it comes to affiliate marketing. You need to narrow your niche down so you are focusing on a smaller more targeted audience. This way you are going to have a much simpler time getting a sale for your business, let's say you use AdWords or Facebook, you just can not start an ad campaign, and go in guns blazing, if you target anyone, and everyone, then you will lose. You need to become your own guru on the ad platform you plan on using, otherwise, you may shoot yourself in the foot long before you ever have a chance of getting your site to the next level, and the next level is making money, right?

Don't Try to Promote Everything

Trying to promote everything you can find in your niche is a huge mistake. You need to focus in on 3-4 products that way you can really equip yourself to be able to share the value of these products. If you are focused on too many things you are going to have a difficult time making money, and I know what it is like, you want to target everything because you are afraid you will leave something off that someone wants, and this is a big mistake, you are not Amazon or eBay, and you do not have millions of dollars to setup such a fancy system; Keep the products you wish to target to a minimum, why? Unless you are an AD or SEO guru, then these services are very expensive, and the more products you attempt to promote, then the more costly this will become. What can you bring to the table that no one else is selling? If your plan is to sell the same cheap junk jewelry that everyone is getting from Aliexpress, then you are going to have a very hard time selling the same ole, sale ole, even the public can by this junk from China, and none of their crap would offer any value to your site, and your refund rate maybe higher because of that stuff, for the most part, is just junk.

Don't Quit

This goes back to wanting to find instant success. You need to not quit instantly if you don't find success right away. You need to stick with it until you see success and beyond. Quitting too easily will not make you money anytime soon. So be patient and work hard if you want to be a successful affiliate marketer. It is up to you on how long you should hang in there and continue to market what you are promoting, and this is why they call this trial and error, and you constantly have to be testing to what sells and what does not, and there will always be winners and losers, keep the winners, dump the losers, then rinse and repeat until you build up your list of winners.

Keeping these mistakes in mind will assist you in being able to avoid them and be more successful with your affiliate marketing business.

maestro

Credits
Also another important thing to remember is ways write reviews for your products because affiliates who aren’t reviewing products in their niche are missing out on the internet users who are ready to buy.

Credits
Also another important thing to remember is ways write reviews for your products because affiliates who aren’t reviewing products in their niche are missing out on the internet users who are ready to buy.
I think in this day and age, then reviews will be important, if someone is looking to buy a product or service, and if there are no reviews in order for the buyer to make an informed decision, then the buyer is more then likely to keep searching until they find products that have a number of reviews, and I will be honest, I am partical to reviews myself, so if I go to amazon to make a purchase and see no reviews, then my may look for a seller that does have reviews, and reviews also bring a level of trust to the seller, and if that seller has no reviews, then I may find it difficult to make a purchase.

maestro

Credits
I think in this day and age, then reviews will be important, if someone is looking to buy a product or service, and if there are no reviews in order for the buyer to make an informed decision, then the buyer is more then likely to keep searching until they find products that have a number of reviews, and I will be honest, I am partical to reviews myself, so if I go to amazon to make a purchase and see no reviews, then my may look for a seller that does have reviews, and reviews also bring a level of trust to the seller, and if that seller has no reviews, then I may find it difficult to make a purchase.
Speaking of reviews, it is best to stick to facts and avoid pointless statements that do not add anything relevant. Make sure your audience is aware of the advantages of using the product you are selling because it is a method that’s proven to work for many bloggers

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieranlewix

Credits
In as much as patience is a virtue in affiliate marketing, it can also be a hindrance in succeeding, and when you are starting out as an affiliate marketer, you need to have goals and as you gain more and more experience it is important to monitor your progress and establish if you are meeting any or all of your set goals. If you do this, you will be able to know how and when to adjust tactics if there is no progress. Over-reliance on patience is unhealthy for any business, let alone affiliate marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Credits
In as much as patience is a virtue in affiliate marketing, it can also be a hindrance in succeeding, and when you are starting out as an affiliate marketer, you need to have goals and as you gain more and more experience it is important to monitor your progress and establish if you are meeting any or all of your set goals. If you do this, you will be able to know how and when to adjust tactics if there is no progress. Over-reliance on patience is unhealthy for any business, let alone affiliate marketing.
If you are into affiliate marketing, then I would imagine that there are quite a bit of mistakes that affiliates make, and sometimes they may not even know they are making any mistakes, and if they are new to affiliate marketing, then how do they know they are making mistakes? It really comes down too trial and error, and experience, so when they have set up their 5th affiliate site, then hopefully they learned why the first 4 affiliate sites failed.

Hova

Credits
I think the most common mistake most new affiliates make is they publish content that is of very low quality and sometimes even unreadable. I also feel like another mistake that affiliate marketers make without even realizing is writing a piece that is no well-formatted which will definitely be the number contributor to why people don't read your content.

KellyGeo

Credits
Those are very good points to observe when one is looking at becoming an affiliate marketer. One should bear it in mind that success is never quick when it comes to working online as an affiliate marketer, it takes time before you can earn big. Also, I would like to add that it's important to look for a good company that would value its affiliate marketer unlike what Amazon does with its affiliate marketers.

Heatman

Credits
The last point of not quitting is what interests me the most because I was once told that the actual losers are the ones that quit along the way. Now, when it comes to online jobs as well as affiliate marketing, success comes from a lot of hardworking and commitment to the job but when you look at getting money real fast, there is every possibility of you being disappointed and as a result you would quit the job. But this is not the case with working online because it pays bit by bit until you grow in the business before you start expecting huge returns from your work. Patience is the key to earning money online.

Hova

Credits
I also feel before committing to a particular product you first have to experiment with different other products to get the feel of the market.
Do your research before promoting a product and once you have found that one niche that is going to give you returns for your investment, you do whatever it takes to stick to it. The reason I say this is because most affiliates have unrealistic expectations and once they different results they get discouraged. So stay strong.

Heatman

Credits
I also feel before committing to a particular product you first have to experiment with different other products to get the feel of the market.
Do your research before promoting a product and once you have found that one niche that is going to give you returns for your investment, you do whatever it takes to stick to it. The reason I say this is because most affiliates have unrealistic expectations and once they different results they get discouraged. So stay strong.
You are absolutely correct with this assessment, research is everything and also very important when you want to know more about the horse which you desire to back. Without researching on a product one want to market as an affiliate marketer, such person just goes in blind without better preparation.

Hova

Credits
You are absolutely correct with this assessment, research is everything and also very important when you want to know more about the horse which you desire to back. Without researching on a product one want to market as an affiliate marketer, such person just goes in blind without better preparation.
Search on Google or your favorite search engine for mistakes that top affiliates made before they became experts and learn from them. You don't have to make mistakes to learn from them as many people would like to assume. Poor market research is the top contributor of low sales, so do good research, not just any research and make sure you check the credibility of the owner of the product. Also don't forget to look for the sales copy of the product just to know if the product is doing well on the market.

Kieranlewix

Credits
Search on Google or your favorite search engine for mistakes that top affiliates made before they became experts and learn from them. You don't have to make mistakes to learn from them as many people would like to assume. Poor market research is the top contributor of low sales, so do good research, not just any research and make sure you check the credibility of the owner of the product. Also don't forget to look for the sales copy of the product just to know if the product is doing well on the market.
Market research is a key factor that determines failure or success in affiliate marketing. Lack if it is definitely a recipe for failure. Even with an effective market research strategy, it takes an intuitive affiliate marketer to piece all the information gained together, and figure out how to use it to his/her advantage. On another note, I think that mistakes are necessary if any learning is going to happen. Even with lots of market research, there's always going to be someone who does something better than you, making what you didn't do a mistake.

Hova

Credits
Many affiliates get into the business without a plan or a strategy and this can only lead to one place, failure. I read somewhere about a strategy called 'split testing' which many affiliates have used and had massive success. This strategy requires you put different variations of the same product or a different product in the same niche just to find out which sells more. Once you get your results, you can now focus your efforts on promoting that product(s).

Credits
Many affiliates get into the business without a plan or a strategy and this can only lead to one place, failure. I read somewhere about a strategy called 'split testing' which many affiliates have used and had massive success. This strategy requires you put different variations of the same product or a different product in the same niche just to find out which sells more. Once you get your results, you can now focus your efforts on promoting that product(s).
Split testing should be on the same level as research. If you do not split test anything, then how do you know what works and what does not? If you run facebook ads, then you set up multiple ads, and what you are doing is split testing ads to see which ads you should kill, and which ads will be your money maker. If you run a business, then you should be split testing everything to see what works, and what doesn't, and if you do not know what isn't working, and you are not fixing those issues, then all you are doing is losing money; Themes should be split tested also to see what people like or do not like about the theme, and once your split testing has been completed, then you need to fix all the issues that are holding you back.

Credits
Don't quit that is really where the problem lies people quit too soon and makes it look as if its isn't worthwhile to be an affiliate, we just need to hold on and try again and again because affiliate marketing is doable.

johnywalker

Credits
I hear a lot of people complaining that affiliate marketing is not working for them. I feel pity on these people who think affiliate marketing will give them money instantly. Another problem I see with affiliate marketers us they are trying to promote almost every thing. IN order to become successful, you have to choose products wisely.

chameli

Credits
I think I made a mistake of quitting. On my parenting blog I was promoting amazon products on parenting niche. I placed 2-3 hand curated products on every blog posts. The products were related to the products. However, I could not make any sales in six months. Therefore, I quit. Now I am focusing on ad networks.