+ 38 more

Affiliate Marketing Tips For Beginners!

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Rate Post
5.00 star(s)
Affiliate marketing can be an excellent way to earn money from home, and how exactly do you get started if you are completely new to this money making option?

Pick a Niche

The first thing that you are going to need to do when you begin with affiliate marketing is select a niche that you want to promote; You want to select something that you can get truly excited about so that you will easily be able to share your enthusiasm for the products or services that you are promoting, and remember, this is not about what you are passionate about; In order to find a profitable niche, then you will have to do niche research; Just because you like to write about milking cows does not mean other people will enjoy your passion for milking cows, and you have to find a niche that is popular; Do not attempt to re-invent the wheel as this is not needed, and do not choose a niche that would be difficult to get into.

Create Your Site and Fill it With Engaging Content

The next thing that you want to do create your own website to feature your affiliate marking products. You could start with a free website however it is highly suggested that you pay for a site to be created as it will just look more professional. Next, you will want to fill your website with engaging and helpful content that will best showcase whatever you happen to be promoting, however, if people do not click with your content, site, etc, then this can be an issue, and normally it goes much deeper, such as, did you pick the right niche, does your site engage with visitors, do visitors find your content useful, and various other factors that could be called, cause and effect.

Start Drawing in Targeted Traffic

Now that you have your website created and filled with excellent content you are going to need to start drawing in targeted traffic. There are a lot of ways that this can be done including article marketing and through social media. Drawing in targeted traffic is essential for your affiliate marketing to be successful. You can have the greatest site in the world, written by the top writers on this planet, however, if you are not able to get traffic to your site, then none of that content matters. traffic = money!!!

Collect Commissions

If all goes right after the above steps you should hopefully be able to start collecting commissions. You do need to actively promote your affiliate marketing business to be a success. You cannot just expect to put up a website and do nothing and get paid, and can not tell you how many times I have seen these type of complaints "my site has been up a month, and I am not getting traffic." and so on, and you should not take setting up an online business lightly, because if you have done everything right, then it could very well take several months, and sometimes up to a year before you start seeing the activity that you are looking for, and if you have ever seen comments such as "It takes hard work." or "it takes times." well, it does, these comments were not posted by people just because, they were posted by people that have experience.

Starting an affiliate marketing business is quite simple but you definitely need to make a commitment to working your business to make sure that it is successful.

cheridbell

Credits
Thank you for this post. I thought that I would create a new site and begin there. My next step will be to populate my site. I'm not sure if I'm going to concentrate on products, or a blog that promotes products. Your input and experience lets me know that I'm going in the right direction!

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Thank you for this post. I thought that I would create a new site and begin there. My next step will be to populate my site. I'm not sure if I'm going to concentrate on products, or a blog that promotes products. Your input and experience lets me know that I'm going in the right direction!
What type of products do you have in mind? Your own products or affiliate products? If you are going to do any type of products, then I would do both; normally product pages are pretty thin for the most part, it can be somewhat difficult to sell something in just 300-500 words on the product page, and this is why those words would be the most important, and you can go beyond that by having a blog, as your product page may not change all that much, but when it comes to the blog, then you can constantly update, add more content, etc. and you will also need to be mindful of many products you will have and will be promoting, more is not always better, less is better, and would be less difficult promoting 5 products compared to 100 products that can take you in many directions, and your goal should be niched focusd as these sites tend to do better compared to other sites.

cheridbell

Credits
I plan to own my own products and build around a blog, and other social media. I also plan to open a site for my daughter that will be more trendy stuff and use affiliate products on the site. This will be promoted by Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube.

I plan to grow my site more organically, as I know it takes time to build an audience.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I plan to own my own products and build around a blog, and other social media. I also plan to open a site for my daughter that will be more trendy stuff and use affiliate products on the site. This will be promoted by Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube.

I plan to grow my site more organically, as I know it takes time to build an audience.
yes, growing any type of website through organic traffic may take a long time, and possibly even longer if you do not use SEO in order to build high-quality links to your website, and what you plan sounds about right, as you need organic traffic from several sources compared to a single source, and make your your site is high quality, and easy to navigate when visitors do find your site, and if you do use SEO, then choose your SEO provider carefully, and do not go for SEO packages which are not custom tailored to your needs, as bad SEO can dash your hopes and dreams.

maestro

Credits
The secret is to always make sure that your customers are happy no matter what. So choosing a good company whose products you are going to be selling should always be the first thing to consider. You should choose a website with the best customer satisfaction background and stick to their products otherwise it is going to end up hurting your credibility.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
The secret is to always make sure that your customers are happy no matter what. So choosing a good company whose products you are going to be selling should always be the first thing to consider. You should choose a website with the best customer satisfaction background and stick to their products otherwise it is going to end up hurting your credibility.
It may not be possible to always make people happy, some may become your loyal customers, and others will hate you no matter what you do. When running a business, it just isnt possible to keep people happy at all times, and some people are very demanding thinking the world revolves around them, and it does not, but that does not mean you ignore them, or respect them any less, so there has to be some type of balance that will benefit everyone.

KellyGeo

Credits
There is no way one can become an affiliate marketer without having a website of his or her own from where the product promotion would be carried out. Now getting a website doesn't guarantee that one would be successful in affiliate marketing, it requires efforts, dedication and sacrifice of time on the site to bring it up to speed in order to drive a reasonable traffic that would facilitate one's possibility of making money as an affiliate marketer.

Kieranlewix

Credits
Getting started with affiliate marketing is like participating in a race where you have to pass the button to someone else. No matter how hard you practice and workout, if your partner is not as good, you will lose the race. Forgive me for the far-fetched example, but in a second, I will explain how this is related to affiliate marketing.

When you are starting off, everything from picking a niche to creating a website and posting quality content is up to you. If you are well prepared, you will definitely ace these steps. The real challenge comes when after doing everything right, you now start to market your site and products to draw traffic. This is where you use all of your tactics and have to pass the button to the customers. They may refuse to take it , and that is how you lose the race.

Another scenario is that only a few will take it, but not enough to provide a return on the investment you made on the site. When deciding to become an affiliate marketer, it is important to accept that at some point, you will have to give up control to the customers and that your fate is entirely up to them. After accepting this, an affiliate will surely put his/her best efforts to psyche the customers up if he has any hope of driving traffic to his site.

Heatman

Credits
Picking a niche is very important when one is looking at becoming an affiliate marketer. Your niche is actually what you want your site to be focused and built around. Care must be taken not to choose an exhausted niche because it's like not to interest people which wouldn't do any good to your site.

Having picked a good niche, now is the time to set your website up and add high quality content to it because it's what would most likely draw people to your site and we all know the power of traffic in one's site.

maestro

Credits
It may not be possible to always make people happy, some may become your loyal customers, and others will hate you no matter what you do. When running a business, it just isnt possible to keep people happy at all times, and some people are very demanding thinking the world revolves around them, and it does not, but that does not mean you ignore them, or respect them any less, so there has to be some type of balance that will benefit everyone.
I totally agree with you @DGStaff there some people who you can't make happy no matter how much you try. But even when dealing with the most difficult clients you always have to make sure you keep your cool.

Heatman

Credits
There is no way one can become an affiliate marketer without having a website of his or her own from where the product promotion would be carried out. Now getting a website doesn't guarantee that one would be successful in affiliate marketing, it requires efforts, dedication and sacrifice of time on the site to bring it up to speed in order to drive a reasonable traffic that would facilitate one's possibility of making money as an affiliate marketer.
This is exactly what I thought and know of because from all that I have learnt and read about becoming an affiliate marketer, it's paramount to have a website because without it, there is no way to make progress on becoming an affiliate marketer.

Kieranlewix

Credits
Picking a niche is very important when one is looking at becoming an affiliate marketer. Your niche is actually what you want your site to be focused and built around. Care must be taken not to choose an exhausted niche because it's like not to interest people which wouldn't do any good to your site.

Having picked a good niche, now is the time to set your website up and add high quality content to it because it's what would most likely draw people to your site and we all know the power of traffic in one's site.
An exhausted niche may have a negative effect on your progress with a website because of the obvious competition. However, coming up with a completely new niche may have the same effect, because it is unknown and the marketing that it would take to attract traffic would increase tenfold. Getting such a site off the ground would be a pain and it is more likely that the affiliate marketer will give up. Personally, I would prefer picking a known niche, then working hard to make the site as awesome as I can.

KellyGeo

Credits
This is exactly what I thought and know of because from all that I have learnt and read about becoming an affiliate marketer, it's paramount to have a website because without it, there is no way to make progress on becoming an affiliate marketer.
Exactly, without having a website in trying to be an affiliate marketer, there is no where you are going to head to. The website is like a foundation where you are laying your affiliate marketing business and as we all know, a house can't stand without a strong foundation.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
An exhausted niche may have a negative effect on your progress with a website because of the obvious competition. However, coming up with a completely new niche may have the same effect, because it is unknown and the marketing that it would take to attract traffic would increase tenfold. Getting such a site off the ground would be a pain and it is more likely that the affiliate marketer will give up. Personally, I would prefer picking a known niche, then working hard to make the site as awesome as I can.
sure, if you are just getting into affiliate marketing, then trying to market weight loss products may not be a good idea, since that niche will be very competitive, and if you do not believe me, then go research some keywords, and tell me how competitive the keywords are, and like you mentioned, it would not be a good idea to promote something unknown to the market, so a certain level of niche competition is a good thing as that tells you that the niche product may be in demand, so one may consider something like baby stuff, power tools, lawn mowers, then you need to break it down from that level and see what would be more popular, for instance, it would be impossible to promote every single lawn mower that is on the market today, so you may want to look at the top 20 mowers, and go from there. The one mistake that affiliates make is trying to promote everything under the sun, and that is not a good way to start or even promote your affiliate site as you will need to be more focused, and do not try to be like Amazon or Walmart.

KellyGeo

Credits
Looking at the way business goes, if you get a stock that is out of trend, you are most likely to have it being dumped at in your shop or wherever you are selling it. It's the same thing with niche, if you try working with exhausted niche, it's definitely going to backfire.

Heatman

Credits
Exactly, without having a website in trying to be an affiliate marketer, there is no where you are going to head to. The website is like a foundation where you are laying your affiliate marketing business and as we all know, a house can't stand without a strong foundation.
This is a point well taken and I love the closing remarks of your comment stating that a house cannot stand without a strong foundation. So therefore, it's what a website does for anyone looking at being an affiliate marketer, having a website is a core requirement that must be meet before taking any other step.

KellyGeo

Credits
This is a point well taken and I love the closing remarks of your comment stating that a house cannot stand without a strong foundation. So therefore, it's what a website does for anyone looking at being an affiliate marketer, having a website is a core requirement that must be meet before taking any other step.
Haha, I love to use descriptive words to explain any of my points when it comes to my writing. I do it this way because I believe that it offers more clarity and easy understanding on the subject matter being discussed. I'm glad it made you understand exactly what I meant because it's very important having a website when one is desiring to be an affiliate marketer.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I would not go as far to say it is a core requirement. I saw a post on another forum the other day looking for help, he did not have a website, and he was making $200 per day, however, if you wanted to be taken more seriously, then you should have a website, and this is futher proof that people are making money without a website, as he is using other popular sites such as facebook, youtube, etc in order to rank what he needed; Some people may not want to go to the trouble of setting up their own website, then on top of that, they would have to maintain their website, updates, etc. I actually found his story interesting because he was making money online, and he did not have a website, personally, I would rather have a site to be honest.

Heatman

Credits
I would not go as far to say it is a core requirement. I saw a post on another forum the other day looking for help, he did not have a website, and he was making $200 per day, however, if you wanted to be taken more seriously, then you should have a website, and this is futher proof that people are making money without a website, as he is using other popular sites such as facebook, youtube, etc in order to rank what he needed; Some people may not want to go to the trouble of setting up their own website, then on top of that, they would have to maintain their website, updates, etc. I actually found his story interesting because he was making money online, and he did not have a website, personally, I would rather have a site to be honest.
Making $200 on daily basis is incredible, I have difficulty believing that because it would mean that within the space of one month, he would be making a whooping amount of $6,200 and a total of $74,400 within one year.

This statistics is very unbelievable, even for someone who makes use of a website as an affiliate marketer and not to talk more about one who just uses social media like Facebook and YouTube to rank what he needs. If such feat is easily achieved, I would definitely follow in his footsteps because the end result is mind blowing.