Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 115 more

Alabama Women Sues Facebook Over Cambridge Analytica Scandal

DGStaff

DG Staff
Credits
An Alabama women has filed a federal class-action lawsuit against Facebook over this Cambridge Analytica scandal in an effort to manipulate the 2016 presidential election. This person is also asking for unknown monetary damages, and to prevent Facebook from using any personal data in the future.

IMO, Facebook has yet to notify Facebook users if their privacy has been used by Cambridge Analytica, so don't you think the lawsuit is premature? Sounds like a smoke screen lawsuit, how can you file a lawsuit without knowing if your privacy has actually been released to Cambridge Analytica; Facebook users will be notified on Monday if their data has been used, and she will certainly look like another idiot filing a lawsuit if her private data has not actually been used by a 3rd party. I am surprised the person did not accuse Facebook being out to get her.

read full story here:
http://abc3340.com/news/local/jeffe...nst-facebook-over-cambridge-analytica-scandal

I suspect other lawsuits may follow, however, i feel that our states should be getting involved in order to protect consumers in order to prevent companies from selling our personal and or private data that is supposed to be private, and I also suspect other states will also no doubt investigate facebook's behavior.

Last edited:

Hova

Credits
Maybe her data was used but now that she sued before the release, Facebook might exclude her from their list just to avoid the lawsuit. It doesn't matter though because either way whoever was responsible for the massive data leak is going to have a really long and stressful year.

KellyGeo

Credits
I have been looking forward to this information before now for someone to take it up with Facebook and it's owner Mark for the scandal. Let's just wait and see how it goes and if the proceedings favor the women, you can be sure to see more lawsuit.

Credits
I have been looking forward to this information before now for someone to take it up with Facebook and it's owner Mark for the scandal. Let's just wait and see how it goes and if the proceedings favor the women, you can be sure to see more lawsuit.
I am not sure where the lawsuit stands, and Cambridge Analytica has gone out of business, however, going out of business does not release you from any potential wrong-doing, and I do not think the govt is finished with them yet, and as far as I know, their investigation has yet to be concluded.

Heatman

Credits
Even though Cambridge Analytica is being pointed at for the Facebook data scandal issue, it still doesn't cut off the culpability of Mark Zuckerberg in the incident, so even though Cambridge Analytica is out of business once the case is concluded and are found guilty, Facebook book and Mark Zuckerberg will still have a big price to pay. Remember Mark Zuckerberg have openly admitted to the crime, so I wouldn't be surprised if the lawsuit is ruled against him, Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. Let's just keep our fingers crossed in waiting for the court's final verdict.

KellyGeo

Credits
I am not sure where the lawsuit stands, and Cambridge Analytica has gone out of business, however, going out of business does not release you from any potential wrong-doing, and I do not think the govt is finished with them yet, and as far as I know, their investigation has yet to be concluded.
Even though the court is yet to reach a final conclusion to give its verdict, it's definitely going to come sooner or later and I definitely think that Cambridge Analytica as well as Mark would be found guilty.

Heatman

Credits
Even though the court is yet to reach a final conclusion to give its verdict, it's definitely going to come sooner or later and I definitely think that Cambridge Analytica as well as Mark would be found guilty.
For the fact that Cambridge Analytica ran off out of business shows how scared and guilty they are but running is never going to save them from paying for the damages they caused millions of people in the world. Don't be surprised that after this case and how it turns out, we might see another lawsuit against Cambridge Analytica and Mark Zuckerberg as well.

Hova

Credits
I think we are all glad Cambridge Analytica decided to end all operations and that is cool but what about Facebook? It is not like they are innocent in all of this.

KellyGeo

Credits
For the fact that Cambridge Analytica ran off out of business shows how scared and guilty they are but running is never going to save them from paying for the damages they caused millions of people in the world. Don't be surprised that after this case and how it turns out, we might see another lawsuit against Cambridge Analytica and Mark Zuckerberg as well.
You are very correct with that assessment about what would likely happen should the lawsuit go against Cambridge Analytica. Other people would see to it that they take advantage of the court ruling and mount several charges against the company. Cambridge Analytica made a grave mistake with what they did with people's data, it's definitely going to come and hunt them for a very long time.

Heatman

Credits
You are very correct with that assessment about what would likely happen should the lawsuit go against Cambridge Analytica. Other people would see to it that they take advantage of the court ruling and mount several charges against the company. Cambridge Analytica made a grave mistake with what they did with people's data, it's definitely going to come and hunt them for a very long time.
Some people are called case mongers for one reason, they thrive more in conflict situations. Such people are most likely lying in wait observing how this lawsuit against Cambridge Analytica is being handled in the court and they are definitely going to pounce on the opportunity once they see they would most likely gain from suing the company. This is definitely not going to be the last lawsuit against Cambridge Analytica and Facebook.

Hova

Credits
Do you guys really think that facebook had no clue that Aleksandr Kogan's personality app was pulling data of millions of Americans and Britons and selling it to Cambridge Analytica?

KellyGeo

Credits
Do you guys really think that facebook had no clue that Aleksandr Kogan's personality app was pulling data of millions of Americans and Britons and selling it to Cambridge Analytica?
I'm more than sure that Facebook - Mark Zuckerberg was 100% aware of what was going on with Cambridge Analytica with people data. There is no denying that because everything that goes on with Facebook is made known to him. I'm sure it's why he actually he admitted to the accusations when the issue was exposed.

Credits
I'm more than sure that Facebook - Mark Zuckerberg was 100% aware of what was going on with Cambridge Analytica with people data. There is no denying that because everything that goes on with Facebook is made known to him. I'm sure it's why he actually he admitted to the accusations when the issue was exposed.
of course, facebook knew because they allowed 3rd party access, and this is something like if I gave you access to my elist, and told you that you have to follow the rules, right? If you have that much access to data, then you are going to use the data that will benefit you the most, and they did. I really do not blame the other company as much as I blame Facebook for allowing 3rd party access to Facebook accounts so they could mine user data.

KellyGeo

Credits
of course, facebook knew because they allowed 3rd party access, and this is something like if I gave you access to my elist, and told you that you have to follow the rules, right? If you have that much access to data, then you are going to use the data that will benefit you the most, and they did. I really do not blame the other company as much as I blame Facebook for allowing 3rd party access to Facebook accounts so they could mine user data.
Exactly my point, and such makes Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook culpable in the crime, should I say that they should be charged on the grounds of accessory before the fact?

Credits
Exactly my point, and such makes Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook culpable in the crime, should I say that they should be charged on the grounds of accessory before the fact?
I highly doubt that Mark Z or Facebook is going to be charged with anything, however, Mark Z did apologize in front of Congress that Facebook made a mistake, and he needs to do better, and I think Mark Z. will also appear in EU Parliament and he is expected to say something similar there also.

KellyGeo

Credits
I highly doubt that Mark Z or Facebook is going to be charged with anything, however, Mark Z did apologize in front of Congress that Facebook made a mistake, and he needs to do better, and I think Mark Z. will also appear in EU Parliament and he is expected to say something similar there also.
Let's wait and see how the whole lawsuit flame burns out, to know if he or Facebook would let to be in free lane and only have Cambridge Analytica to bear the burnt.

to7update

Credits
The US is the country of lawsuits, and the fact is FB did lost personal data from users. Are they liable? I don't have enough information to say, but I do know that if they pay to this woman, they will have to pay to everyone, and this is something highly unlikely to happen.

Credits
The US is the country of lawsuits, and the fact is FB did lost personal data from users. Are they liable? I don't have enough information to say, but I do know that if they pay to this woman, they will have to pay to everyone, and this is something highly unlikely to happen.
If I am not mistaken, she filed the lawsuit before Facebook released any information concerning their privacy concerns, so we really do not know if her account was among those that were affected, and so far, I can not say I have heard of any more facebook lawsuits that have been filed.