• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Are You Ready to Become a Freelancer?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Feb 12, 2018
Everywhere....
digitalglobal.com
Credits
Are you sick and tired of the 9 to 5 rat race? Maybe you are looking for a second income? Then it might be the right time to look into becoming a freelance professional. So how do you know you are ready for the move to become a freelancer? Here are some questions you need to answer.

How Will I Get Paid

You need to know how you are going to get paid if you are going to be a freelancer. This is important as you need to be sure that you will be paid for the work that you are doing. Many clients will pay through PayPal and some will pay by credit card, so be sure you are able to accept the payment arrangements that have been offered to you.

Where Will I Find Work

Where you find work is also an important question that needs to be answered; If you are going to take on freelance work, then there are many online freelancing marketplaces like u$#@%w and Freelancer, so you will be able to find a work in your niche; Sites like these are incredibly simple to sign up for and start looking for work.

How Can I Gain More Qualifications to Get More Work

Many freelancers start off with very little experience, and this leads them to want to know how to become more qualified in order to gain more work. There are many websites available out there that offer courses you can take to gain more qualifications. You could also take some courses at your local college to gain more experience so you can improve your chances of getting work, and as you are gaining more experience, then your rank increases, and this will lead to more freelance opportunities.

This is just the start of the questions that you should be asking before you make the jump in starting your own freelance business.

Kieranlewix

Apr 25, 2018
Credits
To add to your brilliant tips, if you can answer the question "Do I stand out in my niche of interest?" and also all of the questions in the article, then you are probably ready to embark on the freelance journey. Now, the answer to this question comes down to your experience in the said niche. It is good to take some courses in your local college and also to take a course from websites that offer them, but you know what would be easier, and better? What if you ventured into a niche that is similar to your job?

Yes, I said it! You would be overqualified and your profile would be sparkling. I see it all the time where professional web designers who have a high paying day job doing what they love sign up on F#@%$r and freelancer and with their excellent resumes, get lots of offers and keep doing what they love for a side income. If you look closely at this freelance sites, most of these top performers provide the sane services to clients as they do in their workplaces. Basically, they take their work home. It sounds awesome right?

KellyGeo

May 10, 2018
Credits
This is a great article @DGStaff, I must admit that I made the mistake of not asking the number one question in the article when I took a step into becoming a freelancer. It was when it got to the point of getting paid that I was almost frustrated because most times payments are done using PayPal and PayPal services isn't available in my country. It took me a while before I could get someone to help me with his PayPal to get my payment. This is very informative article, I wish I had access to this when I wanted to become a freelancer.

Heatman

Apr 18, 2018
Credits
Great article with good insight as to the important information anyone who seeks to become a freelancer must know before taking up the job. Especially on how will one get paid after doing his or her job, it's really going to be heartbreajk if after working and you simply can't get paid because you don't have a means to receive your payment. Also on where to get more work, if you are a freelancer but can't find any job to do, then it's useless being into the field.

KellyGeo

May 10, 2018
Credits
Great article with good insight as to the important information anyone who seeks to become a freelancer must know before taking up the job. Especially on how will one get paid after doing his or her job, it's really going to be heartbreajk if after working and you simply can't get paid because you don't have a means to receive your payment. Also on where to get more work, if you are a freelancer but can't find any job to do, then it's useless being into the field.
Exactly @Heatman, this almost became my case when I found out that I only have to use PayPal to get my payments. I almost concluded that I wouldn't be able to get paid because all the efforts which I made to get a PayPal account was all fruitless. It's was later that I was introduced to exchangers who deal on such business that I was able to contract one whom I now transact with his PayPal.

Hova

May 10, 2018
Credits
Personally, I think having a freelance career is one of the most exciting concept out there. But before you quit your job and decide to embark on it, make sure you've got enough savings to last you for at least an year. This is a safety measure before your freelancing career takes off.

Heatman

Apr 18, 2018
Credits
Exactly @Heatman, this almost became my case when I found out that I only have to use PayPal to get my payments. I almost concluded that I wouldn't be able to get paid because all the efforts which I made to get a PayPal account was all fruitless. It's was later that I was introduced to exchangers who deal on such business that I was able to contract one whom I now transact with his PayPal.
The reason why some countries don't have PayPal services is as a good too many cases of fraud. PayPal doesn't like to get the bad publicity of being linked to fraud, so they try as much as possible to steer clear of working in such countries and this decision takes away a lot of opportunities for so many people in such countries.

KellyGeo

May 10, 2018
Credits
The reason why some countries don't have PayPal services is as a good too many cases of fraud. PayPal doesn't like to get the bad publicity of being linked to fraud, so they try as much as possible to steer clear of working in such countries and this decision takes away a lot of opportunities for so many people in such countries.
You are very much correct @Heatman, PayPal is one of the most used online financial platform which offers its services to trusted few countries because they really wouldn't want to have a bad reputation of being linked to a case of fraud because it's something that can kill the confidence people have on such platform. It's probably why the countries where PayPal isn't functioning seems to be so. The company simply cannot risk it.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Feb 12, 2018
Everywhere....
digitalglobal.com
Credits
Fraud happens all over the world, however, if the same country keeps showing up on the fraud list far more then other countries, then it does sound reasonable to shut that country out of the loop, and I am sure Nigerian scammers would love to have PayPal in their country; I am afraid scammers are not going to give up just because PayPal does not want to do business with them, and I was called by some IRS scammer just the other day.

Heatman

Apr 18, 2018
Credits
Fraud happens all over the world, however, if the same country keeps showing up on the fraud list far more then other countries, then it does sound reasonable to shut that country out of the loop, and I am sure Nigerian scammers would love to have PayPal in their country; I am afraid scammers are not going to give up just because PayPal does not want to do business with them, and I was called by some IRS scammer just the other day.
It's very true what you mentioned about Nigeria being always on the red list of scam prone countries, and it's likely why some of these online financial firms don't want to get entangled with such mess. It's quite correct that even without PayPal services being unavailable in the country, it still doesn't stop them because there are so many other ways to push the scammed fund through, something like Western Union.

Top Bottom