Join
+ 99 more

Can Money Buy Happiness?

NoviceNinja

Credits
Rate Post
5.00 star(s)
download.jpg

This topic is a highly debated subject. Money is essential to improve one's quality of life. But money itself can’t be the end goal or the ultimate source of happiness. However, money brings happiness by giving you the freedom to enjoy experiences that life offers. But, the moment you make money as your end goal is where the trouble begins. Chasing more and more money is not a route to happiness. You shouldn’t try specifically to acquire more money in the hopes that it will make you happy.

How often we feel happiness, successful or fulfilled is based on our habits of thought. MOTION creates EMOTION, so if you start doing things that you enjoy, you'll feel happy too.

So to answer the question, YES I believe it can. Life is all about being practical, you cannot deny that fact that just because you don’t want to agree with reality. Money can buy you a thing you want. It can save lives. It can give you hope. It can help you to achieve your goal. Money isn't everything, but it is something you need. There's a saying that goes "People say money can't buy happiness, poverty sure ain't going to help either."

How about you guys? Do you agree? Please kindly share your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Heatman

Credits
Some people are of the opinion that money doesn't buy happiness, staying that most wealthy people aren't happy on the inside. But I seriously beg to differ on that note as I'm well convinced that money can not just buy me happiness but would keep me in a perpetual joy because it makes everything that I can ever want in like come to reality. I think that the only thing money cannot buy is life after one has died but it can go a very long way in helping to preserve one's life by paying for the best hospital care the world can offer to save one's life from illness. It can pay for the best luxury in the world etc. So why would someone wake up one day and ask if money can buy happiness?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Some people are of the opinion that money doesn't buy happiness, staying that most wealthy people aren't happy on the inside. But I seriously beg to differ on that note as I'm well convinced that money can not just buy me happiness but would keep me in a perpetual joy because it makes everything that I can ever want in like come to reality. I think that the only thing money cannot buy is life after one has died but it can go a very long way in helping to preserve one's life by paying for the best hospital care the world can offer to save one's life from illness. It can pay for the best luxury in the world etc. So why would someone wake up one day and ask if money can buy happiness?
It is a proven fact that money cannot buy happiness, however, money can buy all sorts of things such as peace of mind, so unless you have found a happiness store that sells bundles of happiness, then it does not exist; Last week I heard of two rich people that committed suicide, and I am sure if they were able to buy the happiness they were lacking, then they would not have ended their lives. You can buy that house you always wanted, you can buy that fancy car only rich people can afford, you can go on that dream vacation in order to look at this volcanoes exploding, however, you cant buy happiness.

Last edited:

Heatman

Credits
It is a proven fact that money cannot buy happiness, however, money can buy all sorts of things such as peace of mind, so unless you have found a happiness store that sells bundles of happiness, then it does not exist; Last week I heard of two rich people that committed suicide, and I am sure if they were able to buy the happiness they were lacking, then they would not have ended their lives. You can buy that house you always wanted, you can buy that fancy car only rich people can afford, you can go on that dream vacation in order to look at this volcanoes exploding, however, you cant buy happiness.
When you can literally buy almost everything that makes you feel happy and contented with life, I don't see why it's not money that bought you happiness in an indirect manner. It's true that there is nothing like a jar or box of happiness sold in a departmental store and it's all because happiness is in abstract form as it cannot be touched but only felt. About some rich people committing suicide, there is no clear assessment that says it's as a result of their not being happy was why they killed themselves by committing suicide.

NoviceNinja

Credits
If I can also add, another extent of happiness for someone can be when he makes others happy. Apart from the personal satisfaction of one's life, if someone wants to give joy to others, it also needs money up to a certain extent.

When it comes to the topic of committing suicide, I took a quote from one of the prominent celebrities in Hollywood:

"I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer." - Jim Carrey

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
If I can also add, another extent of happiness for someone can be when he makes others happy. Apart from the personal satisfaction of one's life, if someone wants to give joy to others, it also needs money up to a certain extent.

When it comes to the topic of committing suicide, I took a quote from one of the prominent celebrities in Hollywood:

"I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer." - Jim Carrey
If everyone got rich and famous, then no one would be inclined to work, and some people can not handle money, as I have seen those lottery stories where someone got rich overnight, and within a few years, they have spent their fortune on what they thought would make them happy, and more often then not, money normally does not solve problems, it just brings new issues when having money, and if you were not happy before you came into money, then there is going to be a good chance you will not be happy when you do have money, then comes the responsibilty of having money, and if you are not responsible, then you will just spend it, then end up in the very place you started, and the money is all gone.

NoviceNinja

Credits
If everyone got rich and famous, then no one would be inclined to work, and some people can not handle money, as I have seen those lottery stories where someone got rich overnight, and within a few years, they have spent their fortune on what they thought would make them happy, and more often then not, money normally does not solve problems, it just brings new issues when having money, and if you were not happy before you came into money, then there is going to be a good chance you will not be happy when you do have money, then comes the responsibilty of having money, and if you are not responsible, then you will just spend it, then end up in the very place you started, and the money is all gone.
I do not know about other countries, but here financial literacy or how to manage your money is never taught in schools. You learn it at home. But what if your parents were financially illiterate as well? That is why I firmly believe that financial subjects also be discussed early in schools, The perfect year will be right before college. If there would be a petition for it to materialize I will sign up for it.

anorona

Credits
Money cannot buy happiness, however, it can be a tool for someone to buy things that will make her happy or make his/her life comfortable. We can also use money to help other people, give some to the needy if you are really rich, and that my friend is something that will make us happy too. If it is used on right things and purposes, it can bring happiness too.

moh254

Credits
Happiness isn't a commodity that can be brought. You can hire commedians to come entertain and make you laugh but the moment they step out of that door, you go back to your miserable life. Finding that thing/ someone who makes you happy can help you out but talking of buying love, it will never work. The same applies to love, it will never be bought.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Happiness isn't a commodity that can be brought. You can hire commedians to come entertain and make you laugh but the moment they step out of that door, you go back to your miserable life. Finding that thing/ someone who makes you happy can help you out but talking of buying love, it will never work. The same applies to love, it will never be bought.
If happiness could be purchased, then rich people would not comment suicide, and sometimes happiness issues cannot be solved with drugs or therapy, however, maybe one day depressed will be cured, and everyone will be happy, but not today...

Kei

Credits
"The rich also cry." I learned this fact as a child. It is true that money can buy you a lot of things. Take for instance a tyrant, a tyrant can the people's loyalty but can never buy their love. There's a bunch of rich people that are unhappy. All that money couldn't buy happiness.

Meryemm

Credits
Yes, money can buy happiness. Poor people can buy food and clothes and that will bring them joy. Sick people can try and seek proper healthcare and with money, they can be well taken care of and treated of the illnesses that make their lives miserable. Money can make life easier and that alone can help make a person happy. But money alone isn't enough. People also have to find other ways to be happy. But you can't just assume that money won't make people happy, especially in developing countries where life is hard and food is expensive and going to a hospital can mean you'd have to spend all your saving and you might not even find the solution to your health issues. Money is important.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Yes, money can buy happiness. Poor people can buy food and clothes and that will bring them joy. Sick people can try and seek proper healthcare and with money, they can be well taken care of and treated of the illnesses that make their lives miserable. Money can make life easier and that alone can help make a person happy. But money alone isn't enough. People also have to find other ways to be happy. But you can't just assume that money won't make people happy, especially in developing countries where life is hard and food is expensive and going to a hospital can mean you'd have to spend all your saving and you might not even find the solution to your health issues. Money is important.
Money can make life so much easier, however, it will not buy happiness, since I have heard several cases about rich people doing drugs, hanging themselves, so it does prove money did not buy them happiness, and doing drugs does not bring happiness either, as people do drugs not to be happy, but to escape reality to a point where they do not have to deal with the pain they are in.

Meryemm

Credits
Money can make life so much easier, however, it will not buy happiness, since I have heard several cases about rich people doing drugs, hanging themselves, so it does prove money did not buy them happiness, and doing drugs does not bring happiness either, as people do drugs not to be happy, but to escape reality to a point where they do not have to deal with the pain they are in.
An easy life can be a happy one. A lot of families are living happy decent lives and are providing to their kids. We should consider that as well. Celebrities killing themselves shouldn't be a conclusion that would lead to us saying money doesn't matter and that it doesn't buy happiness. Help a father buy a house for his family and you'll see how happy he will be. It's relative and I don't think there's one and only one answer to this question, but what I know is that money plays a big role in life. Those celebrities were happy when they started earning money, they only killed themselves after they had so much of it.

Kei

Credits
An easy life can be a happy one. A lot of families are living happy decent lives and are providing to their kids. We should consider that as well. Celebrities killing themselves shouldn't be a conclusion that would lead to us saying money doesn't matter and that it doesn't buy happiness. Help a father buy a house for his family and you'll see how happy he will be. It's relative and I don't think there's one and only one answer to this question, but what I know is that money plays a big role in life. Those celebrities were happy when they started earning money, they only killed themselves after they had so much of it.
Of course money matters a lot and it can get you so many things. Now some rich people have everything but perhaps they are lacking something that makes them happy. That money couldn't get that thing. So isn't it safe to say money can't buy that particular joy they are searching for?

Meryemm

Credits
Of course money matters a lot and it can get you so many things. Now some rich people have everything but perhaps they are lacking something that makes them happy. That money couldn't get that thing. So isn't it safe to say money can't buy that particular joy they are searching for?
You can't say that unless you know that person. There are a lot of persons that are already happy in that way and that have a purpose in life but money can help them be even more happier. So it's really relative and I don't think you can have just one answer as it really depends on the person. But if we want to be extreme then yes of course money can't but happiness and can't buy you a purpose to live.
For example,me. I have a purpose in life and I will never take my own life. I am happy in "that way" but I'm not a happy person. My sister is sick and we don't have the means to give her the absolute best possible healthcare there is. If only we had more money we could take her out of the country and seek the best possible healthcare in the world and maybe that would help her. If that money helped us know what's wrong with her and helped us find a cure, then I can say that it bought me happiness. I would be the happiest person on earth.

Gabbar

Credits
Money is not everything but money can buy many things. Still, money cannot buy Happiness or make you smile but as we cannot even imagine our life without money, we are dependent on it and makes us feel comfortable if we have a good amount of money in our kitty.

These days my passion is to make money and it's making me happy when I am able to earn big from my adventures.

Credits
Money cannot buy happiness because if it does, the rich wouldn't be crying but we all know the rich also cry. Money can just get us material things but how about those things that we can't buy with money like children, life, air etc. So money can't buy happiness.

chicnthin

Credits
I think it does, but temporarily. You can be happy if you get new phones, clothes, dine at expensive restaurants. But what money can't buy is genuine happiness. The love that you received, the friends and family that you can talk to.

Heatman

Credits
Money is not everything but money can buy many things. Still, money cannot buy Happiness or make you smile but as we cannot even imagine our life without money, we are dependent on it and makes us feel comfortable if we have a good amount of money in our kitty.

These days my passion is to make money and it's making me happy when I am able to earn big from my adventures.
Seriously, I find it very difficult to understand why some people would say that money wouldn't buy happiness. Let me ask this question, have you ever seen any poor and poverty stricken individual that looks happy? You can't be happy when you are financially broke, when you are hungry, without shelter, no clothing etc.

If I'm being honest with you here, the moment I login into my online banking, and look at the zeros I have there, instantly I get a big smile on my face. So, money defines happiness for me.