The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 115 more

Cooking Healthy Food At Home

Credits
It's always healthier to prepare and cook your own food at home. One thing is for certain though, you can pick the freshest and most nutritious ingredients when your preparing your own food and you'll also save a lot of money by doing so because it's a lot cheaper than eating out or do doing take-aways and deliveries.

Here are some good tips for creating healthy, flavorful and affordable dishes at home.

1. Invest in Spices - Spices gives your dishes that explosive flavor and it makes your meats, soups, stews a great aroma and taste. Spices and Aromatics can make a simple dish flavorful and special. Spices also helps promotes good health.

Commonly Used Spices
A. Allspice
B. Anise
C. Cumin
D. Black Pepper
E. Cardamom
F. Cayenne
G. Cinnamon
H. Clove
I. Coriander
J. Cumin
K. Dill
L. Fennel
M. Garlic
N. Licorice
O. Mustard
P. Nutmeg
Q. Paprika
R. Peppercorns
S. Saffron
T. Sesame
U. Tamarind
V. Turmeric
W. Ginger

Each one of these has its own uses and flavor as well as different medicinal properties which I will discuss in my next post.

Credits
I can't really say that I cook healthy, period. I eat stuff that is probably going to give me a heart attack over anyone that smokes. I have all kinds of processed meat in the freezer and processed meat from the deli, and I am never going to give up bread, and mayo which isn't good for anyone.

Last edited:
Credits
Y
I can't really say that I cook healthy, period. I eat stuff that probably going to give me a heart attack over anyone that smokes. I have all kinds of processed meat in the freezer and processed meat from the deli, and I am never going to give up bread, and mayo which isn't good for anyone.
You can still eat healthy by integrating fresh salads and fruits. Also you can add a lot of vegetables like onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce and others to your sandwiches. It's also best if you buy wholegrain bread to use for your sandwiches because it's healthier. And also making fresh bread by using a bread maker could be both healthy and fun. Freshly made mayonnaise can be made in a minute, it's more flavorful and healthy.

Credits
Y

You can still eat healthy by integrating fresh salads and fruits. Also you can add a lot of vegetables like onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce and others to your sandwiches. It's also best if you buy wholegrain bread to use for your sandwiches because it's healthier. And also making fresh bread by using a bread maker could be both healthy and fun. Freshly made mayonnaise can be made in a minute, it's more flavorful and healthy.
sure, white bread and mayo is not healthy, nor help in giving you the nutrients your body needs; Bread contains sugar, and may contain fat, and if you eat enough bread, mayo, and processed meats in those sandwiches, then you become FAT, so sure, swapping out bread for whole wheat, or mayo for miracle whip, then that alone would be really helpful as miracle whip contains around 50% less fat then mayo does. I did get a loaf of wheat bread that the other that was called "butter" bread, however, I have not tried it yet and only got it because it was on sale for that brand of bread, however, wheat bread does have a somewhat funny taste, but I guess if it tastes good, then it must not be really good for the body, ROFL.

Credits
You can try Ezekiel bread it's made from 6 grains including wheat, barley, lentils, beans, spelt and millet it taste good too. It contains all the amino acids our body needs. This also helps in fighting diabetes, high blood pressure and liver disease.

Another good bread to try if your cutting on weight is Rye bread, this helps in reducing your body weight and it also lowers your cholesterol level. This bread reduces your feelings of hunger and the desire to eat.

Credits
You can try Ezekiel bread it's made from 6 grains including wheat, barley, lentils, beans, spelt and millet it taste good too. It contains all the amino acids our body needs. This also helps in fighting diabetes, high blood pressure and liver disease.

Another good bread to try if your cutting on weight is Rye bread, this helps in reducing your body weight and it also lowers your cholesterol level. This bread reduces your feelings of hunger and the desire to eat.
oh yea, last doctors visit, I was told I had diabetes, and I have been bad all week, and the only thing I have been eating is bread, mayo, and hamburger, and I have been feeling somewhat down, as all that greasy hamburger does not boost your energy, it just sucks everything out of you, now that the hamburger is gone; I think I will have something a bit more healthy like BLTs, and my fix salad next week with fat free dressing.

Credits
If you have diabetes try drinking turmeric and ginger tea you can flavor it with a squeeze of lemon and some honey or drink it as is. It's really good for diabetes my brother controlled his by drinking this tea twice a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Credits
So sad. I always cook vegetables at home but I don't eat it. Or I actually do but just some of it, like squash and beans perhaps. It's just my husband who likes all kinds of vegetables so much. I don't eat leafy vegetables, though I always encourage my kids to eat it. hahaha

Credits
If you have diabetes try drinking turmeric and ginger tea you can flavor it with a squeeze of lemon and some honey or drink it as is. It's really good for diabetes my brother controlled his by drinking this tea twice a day.
drinking turmeric? I don't drink booze, ROFL. The name sounds familiar, however, not really sure what turmeric is. I was drinking green tea for a time, however, green tea has a bland taste, and adding sugar somewhat defeats the purpose as I need to reduce my sugar intake, not increase.

So sad. I always cook vegetables at home but I don't eat it. Or I actually do but just some of it, like squash and beans perhaps. It's just my husband who likes all kinds of vegetables so much. I don't eat leafy vegetables, though I always encourage my kids to eat it. hahaha
I will certain vegetables, and I may eat certain vegetables cooked like green beans, squash, however, there is some really wired vegetable stuff out there that I probably never tried, and probably do not want to try either, for instance, I am not a fan of raw or cooked cabbage, period. I would eat more veggie stuff like salads, however, salads have a really short lifespan cycle compared to other foods, and then go bad quickly if not eaten ASAP.

NoviceNinja

Credits
There are a lot of advantages in preparing your meals. Aside from the fact that you can make sure it is clean, it is also a money saver compared to eating out. You can save more by buying ingredients in bulk. I, myself is trying my best to cook food for my own family instead of having food delivered. The difference in cost is almost 50%.

KellyGeo

Credits
To be very honest, I don't think that I have cooked anything called food ever since I got married. I used to cook when I was still a teenager and sparsely when I was a bachelor because of less chance to stay at home and prepare my own meal. Most times I eat out in the restaurant but it's only on Sundays that I try my best to cook because it's odd to still go and eat restaurant food on a Sunday. But everything changed the moment I got married, as cooking is one of my wife's hobby, she literally don't want me anywhere near the kitchen, so I just provide the money and she buys whatever that she needs and cook to her taste.

Kei

Credits
I only eat out when I'm on a trip or hanging out with friends. I like my home cooked meals. I love cooking and trying out new recipes. It is easy for me to fix myself something plus I always use the best ingredients hence I'm in control of what I put in my body.

johnywalker

Credits
I don't cook at home. I can save time by not cooking at home. Time is money, by spending my time in cooking, shopping grocery, cleaning etc. I am squandering my time, which could be used to earn more.

arunima25

Credits
I only eat out occasionally when there is a get together or party or if I am travelling. I am totally into simple home cooked healthy meals. It helps me with my health as well as helps me save a lot. And the best part is that my children are picking up a healthy way to eat.

SeaGirl

Credits
I only eat out occasionally when there is a get together or party or if I am travelling. I am totally into simple home cooked healthy meals. It helps me with my health as well as helps me save a lot. And the best part is that my children are picking up a healthy way to eat.
You are doing yourself and your family a great favor by doing this. Your family is lucky to have you with them.

arunima25

Credits
To be very honest, I don't think that I have cooked anything called food ever since I got married. I used to cook when I was still a teenager and sparsely when I was a bachelor because of less chance to stay at home and prepare my own meal. Most times I eat out in the restaurant but it's only on Sundays that I try my best to cook because it's odd to still go and eat restaurant food on a Sunday. But everything changed the moment I got married, as cooking is one of my wife's hobby, she literally don't want me anywhere near the kitchen, so I just provide the money and she buys whatever that she needs and cook to her taste.
That is good. At least one member of the family cooks for everyone. You can share other chores if you want to help.
The point is to get a healthy simple home cooked meal. It does not matter whether wife cooks it or husband.

SeaGirl

Credits
I am learning to cook more dishes and all should do that because we cannot survive on food of outside as its unhealthy and expensive.

Credits
We the Indians mostly eat and cook at home and use almost all the spices mentioned in the OP's list and many more. Yes, the food prepared is healthier compared to what you get eating out but one can't avoid it entirely. for instance, I am a marketing professional so I have to eat out often. However, being a fitness freak I try to avoid unhealthy and since I am a vegetarian for last 14 years (by choice), I eat vegetables and fruits.

arunima25

Credits
I totally agree that we can not fully avoid eating outside but we can definitely reduce the frequency and choose healthy choices available. Small changes go a long way in your healthy life.

bendahara

Credits
It's always healthier to prepare and cook your own food at home. One thing is for certain though, you can pick the freshest and most nutritious ingredients when your preparing your own food and you'll also save a lot of money by doing so because it's a lot cheaper than eating out or do doing take-aways and deliveries.

Here are some good tips for creating healthy, flavorful and affordable dishes at home.

1. Invest in Spices - Spices gives your dishes that explosive flavor and it makes your meats, soups, stews a great aroma and taste. Spices and Aromatics can make a simple dish flavorful and special. Spices also helps promotes good health.

Commonly Used Spices
A. Allspice
B. Anise
C. Cumin
D. Black Pepper
E. Cardamom
F. Cayenne
G. Cinnamon
H. Clove
I. Coriander
J. Cumin
K. Dill
L. Fennel
M. Garlic
N. Licorice
O. Mustard
P. Nutmeg
Q. Paprika
R. Peppercorns
S. Saffron
T. Sesame
U. Tamarind
V. Turmeric
W. Ginger

Each one of these has its own uses and flavor as well as different medicinal properties which I will discuss in my next post.
All these I knew but I do not know how to use them to my benefit.