The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 38 more

Digital footprints : Can it be wiped 100%

Heatman

Credits
Digital footprints are trails one leaves behind when one uses the internet, be it on the social media, surfing the internet, playing games online, online shopping etc. Now, we all know that one can just easily delete all his or her activities online but are such data fully wiped? Don't those digital footprints already left behind still get backed up somewhere? Should one be worried about the digital footprints one is leaving behind when using the internet?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Digital footprints are trails one leaves behind when one uses the internet, be it on the social media, surfing the internet, playing games online, online shopping etc. Now, we all know that one can just easily delete all his or her activities online but are such data fully wiped? Don't those digital footprints already left behind still get backed up somewhere? Should one be worried about the digital footprints one is leaving behind when using the internet?
Nothing is truly wiped clean, even if you destroy your phone, and burn your computer. Even deleted numbers may be stored by the phone number for a period of time, even if you burn your computer, then law enforcement can just send a warrant to google or some other search engine and get the activity that you were doing prior to burning your computer, however, I am not sure how long search engines may save your history, so unless you never use a phone, never get social media, never use a computer, credit cards, no job, then it will become more difficult to track you.

Heatman

Credits
Nothing is truly wiped clean, even if you destroy your phone, and burn your computer. Even deleted numbers may be stored by the phone number for a period of time, even if you burn your computer, then law enforcement can just send a warrant to google or some other search engine and get the activity that you were doing prior to burning your computer, however, I am not sure how long search engines may save your history, so unless you never use a phone, never get social media, never use a computer, credit cards, no job, then it will become more difficult to track you.
So therefore, it's very important to mind the kind of digital footprints one leaves behind because they can easily be traced back to the user.

Don't mind my over curiosity on this subject, but I have heard about encrypting one's activities when using the internet which can make it impossible to trace the user's identification or source of origin. Doesn't that prevent one's digital footprints from becoming a public knowledge?

maestro

Credits
I don't think there is a way to get rid of all your digital footprints with all the information we give out on a daily basis whether is to a dating site or displaying your birthday on social media to any kind of personal data that one decides to share online.

Heatman

Credits
I don't think there is a way to get rid of all your digital footprints with all the information we give out on a daily basis whether is to a dating site or displaying your birthday on social media to any kind of personal data that one decides to share online.
Dating site, seriously? Do you know that I haven't used not even one as I see most people that flood such sites as introverts who can't directly face to face walk up to a girl they like with confidence and make their intentions known. As far as my digital footprints is concerned, nothing would be traced back to me through such site :D.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Unless you are some type of super-hero hacker, then once you connect to a site, then your every step is being monitored, even if you were to go incognito, then that will not matter either, as anything you do online can be traced back to you, no matter how smart you think you are. If the Russian hackers got caught hacking the presidential election, then it would be safe to say, they were the best hackers or the most stupid in the world, but everything was traced back to Russia, and obviously, they were not good enough to hide their tracks, and they were found out quickly.

maestro

Credits
Basically, I think we are pretty much screwed at this point. The only thing we can do is give better guidance to the next generation. We didn't have that cause our parents didn't have any prior knowledge to help us in maintaining a positive online presence.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Basically, I think we are pretty much screwed at this point. The only thing we can do is give better guidance to the next generation. We didn't have that cause our parents didn't have any prior knowledge to help us in maintaining a positive online presence.
It does come down to ignorance, and lack of understanding of long-term implications of what you do online that will follow you for the rest of your life, and once it gets out there, then it is out there, and I would not say "we" are screwed, however, if you go around posting shady stuff about your ex, then it could always come back to bite you later, and I am still amazed on how stupid people are sometimes, as I always see on the news what someone does on social media, and as a result of their comment, may it be race related or other, then the end of getting fired. It is so easy to share stuff around the world and it can go viral in a heartbeat, and before you know it, you walk into work the next day picking up your pink slip.

Kieranlewix

Credits
All the information you provide online is always stored on thousands of servers. This number is even larger if you are a businessperson or if you sign up to various websites. It's pretty obvious that whenever you post something or comment anywhere on the internet you should try to be professional. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:However, some sites like Twitter and Facebook make us feel so comfortable that we can post anything, only for all our vile posts to get us fired from our job. Our digital footprints are just our burden to bear and they tend to follow us everywhere we go.

KellyGeo

Credits
Ever since I watched a movie called Person of Interest, I became so worried about anything that I do online. I take care with what I post or even facing cameras because what I saw in the movie showed me that we were all under 24 hours surveillance by the government especially the CIA. They keep track of everything and anything we do, so I wouldn't want to put myself in a position of getting caught for doing something wrong or against the law.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
All the information you provide online is always stored on thousands of servers. This number is even larger if you are a businessperson or if you sign up to various websites. It's pretty obvious that whenever you post something or comment anywhere on the internet you should try to be professional. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:However, some sites like Twitter and Facebook make us feel so comfortable that we can post anything, only for all our vile posts to get us fired from our job. Our digital footprints are just our burden to bear and they tend to follow us everywhere we go.
Some of the best-educated people on this planet can be stupid sometimes, it was just the other day that I heard about this White House Aide Kelly Sadler made some comment in a WH meeting that said something like "he is dying anyway" and she was referring to Senator John McCain, and I am surprised that she still has a job as I think she should have been fired on the spot, however, Trump does not fire people that are just like him, but hey, these are the type of people that are coming out of washington D.C. these days, ignorant, shameless, and completely stupid as a rock, some people have no morals, period.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...r-white-house-aide-mocks-dying-mccain-n873406

maestro

Credits
I guess the only two places that I can think of that have my real personal details is my bank and my paypal account. Other than that, everything else online is fake.

KellyGeo

Credits
I guess the only two places that I can think of that have my real personal details is my bank and my paypal account. Other than that, everything else online is fake.
I think that everyone makes use of their real identity on their bank account and PayPal. You also forgot to mention voters car and national identity card just like we have here. There is no way to use fake details on those documentation.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I think that everyone makes use of their real identity on their bank account and PayPal. You also forgot to mention voters car and national identity card just like we have here. There is no way to use fake details on those documentation.
Scammers do not use their real identity, and they will do whatever they can do to steal yours, and some may call this identity theft, but that does not stopped them, as they only need to collect a few pieces of information, and that may be enough to even file taxes and steal your tax refund.

Kieranlewix

Credits
The government must be doing a terrible job if scammers are still so bold and conduct fraudulent activities everyday. Most people who suffer identity theft get to that point by not understanding the internet or just being ignorant. I guess it's not the government's job to shield citizens from con artists, but I feel that something should be done anyway. It is upon each and every person to take care of their information and be cautious of the digital footprints they leave online.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
The government must be doing a terrible job if scammers are still so bold and conduct fraudulent activities everyday. Most people who suffer identity theft get to that point by not understanding the internet or just being ignorant. I guess it's not the government's job to shield citizens from con artists, but I feel that something should be done anyway. It is upon each and every person to take care of their information and be cautious of the digital footprints they leave online.
Law enforcement is always over-burdened with other crimes; When someone tried to burn my house down 2-3 years ago, they knew who did it, however, they could not prove it, and I was told they simply did not have the resources to keep investigating, and I have not heard anything since, and obviously online crimes can be difficult, and if someone scammed you out of country, then there is very little that can be done, so yes, I do suspect the govt is just not doing enough regarding scammers, and I do not think banks are doing enough either by not setting up two step login verfication and or adding a secondary password or pin, and with this combo, I think this would at least get rid of online credit card fraud, however, it is different level if you are actually scammed online, and it would be far easier to catch and prosecuate the scammer if they are located in the US; Too many scammers, not enough resources.

KellyGeo

Credits
Scammers do not use their real identity, and they will do whatever they can do to steal yours, and some may call this identity theft, but that does not stopped them, as they only need to collect a few pieces of information, and that may be enough to even file taxes and steal your tax refund.
This is a very serious problem and it's the reason why people are always advised to mind how they disclose their information online in some untrusted sites. It's mostly from these sites that one's data gets stolen and manipulated by these scammers to be used in committing fraud.

Kieranlewix

Credits
This is a very serious problem and it's the reason why people are always advised to mind how they disclose their information online in some untrusted sites. It's mostly from these sites that one's data gets stolen and manipulated by these scammers to be used in committing fraud.
It is so sad to say, but there's nothing much we can do to prevent being scammed. On a daily basis, many people are looking for online jobs, surfing the internet and on YouTube. This is the top three ways to run into scams. You may be looking at a video on YouTube that promises you will earn, and not realizing that there are some funny characters from India that are paid to comment on "How to" videos, you end up signing up on a site that asks for your personal information. After submitting your details, you are unable to sign in and that's when you realize that you have been duped. From then on, your only move left is to hope that your information is not used for fraudulent activities, which never works.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
It is so sad to say, but there's nothing much we can do to prevent being scammed. On a daily basis, many people are looking for online jobs, surfing the internet and on YouTube. This is the top three ways to run into scams. You may be looking at a video on YouTube that promises you will earn, and not realizing that there are some funny characters from India that are paid to comment on "How to" videos, you end up signing up on a site that asks for your personal information. After submitting your details, you are unable to sign in and that's when you realize that you have been duped. From then on, your only move left is to hope that your information is not used for fraudulent activities, which never works.
This is why you have to analyze and research on whom you decide to do business with; When I run across a business that I may have interest, then the first thing I will do is search for the business name + complaints or reviews, and this will give me some idea on who I might be dealing with, and if I am doing business with which is rare, then I may look for reviews on this person or other red flags that may indicate this person is a scammer.

Credits
This is why you have to analyze and research on whom you decide to do business with; When I run across a business that I may have interest, then the first thing I will do is search for the business name + complaints or reviews, and this will give me some idea on who I might be dealing with, and if I am doing business with which is rare, then I may look for reviews on this person or other red flags that may indicate this person is a scammer.
This is a good way of verifying the legitimacy of a business or service. I usually just look for reviews and my process might overlook the negative feedbacks because most of the reviews prioritize the positive side of the business or service. Next time when I check out a site, I will also search for negative complaints.