The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 115 more

Earn Money Transcribing

Kieranlewix

Credits
The word transcription may seem like jargon but it really isn't. It is basically listening to sound clips and typing the conversation out. Most transcription sites pay at a rate of between $0.65-$0.89 per minute. Each site has it's own set of rules to follow when transcribing. Some of the rules are lengthening truncations and omission of some sounds. Some of the top transcription sites are:
1. Rev.com
2. TranscribeMe
3. Gotranscript
4. Scribie

DGStaff

DG Staff
Credits
The word transcription may seem like jargon but it really isn't. It is basically listening to sound clips and typing the conversation out. Most transcription sites pay at a rate of between $0.65-$0.89 per minute. Each site has it's own set of rules to follow when transcribing. Some of the rules are lengthening truncations and omission of some sounds. Some of the top transcription sites are:
1. Rev.com
2. TranscribeMe
3. Gotranscript
4. Scribie
Transcription is probably something that I would not be interested, and it maybe more difficult to get into high quality programs because everyone else is trying to subscribe also, and in most cases, you may have to take some type of test, and if you fail the test, then you will not be allowed into the program, and you probably will not be allowed to take the test again for 3-6 months, and may resemble postloop in some way, for instance, could be a one-shot deal, if you fail the test, then you may not be allowed to take the test again, ever, then again, each transcription business has their own rules, and remember, for every legit business you run across, there are 100 or even 1000 others trying to clone the process so they can scam you in the end.

maestro

Credits
@Kieranlewix so I'm guessing you have already tried those sites and had success. If so I'd really love to see some kind of evidence that they do actually pay for transcribing. I've always wanted to get into it but never had luck finding a legit site.

Heatman

Credits
The word transcriptiontranscription may seem like jargon but it really isn't. It is basically listening to sound clips and typing the conversation out. Most transcription sites pay at a rate of between $0.65-$0.89 per minute. Each site has it's own set of rules to follow when transcribing. Some of the rules are lengthening truncations and omission of some sounds. Some of the top transcription sites are:
1. Rev.com
2. TranscribeMe
3. Gotranscript
4. Scribie
Transcription looks tedious to me, I seriously doubt if I would be able to succeed in it. Listening to sound clips and typing the conversation out, I don't think such work is for me, if it had been a video clip, I would be able to try it.

Kieranlewix

Credits
@Kieranlewix so I'm guessing you have already tried those sites and had success. If so I'd really love to see some kind of evidence that they do actually pay for transcribing. I've always wanted to get into it but never had luck finding a legit site.
I tried all those sites but only succeeded in GoTransccipt and TranscribeMe. I am an on and off transcriptionist so I haven't actually withdrawn any money. I have friends who have though. TranscribeMe has a minimum withdrawal limit of $20.00 and I'm currently at $15.

maestro

Credits
I tried all those sites but only succeeded in GoTransccipt and TranscribeMe. I am an on and off transcriptionist so I haven't actually withdrawn any money. I have friends who have though. TranscribeMe has a minimum withdrawal limit of $20.00 and I'm currently at $15.
I don't see myself getting into transcribing any time soon cause it seems like it takes a lot of time,and I'm already pretty much occupied the whole day, maybe sometime in the near future, then I may consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGStaff

DG Staff
Credits
I don't see myself getting into transcribing any time soon cause it seems like it takes a lot of time,and I'm already pretty much occupied the whole day. Maybe sometime in the near future I might consider it.
Just about anything can be transcribed, such as shorthand, notes, writing, video, voice, musical nodes, and you would also need to be pretty fast at transcription otherwise it could take you hours in order to complete a transcription task, and I would think you would need to be pretty good also. I even consider myself to be a pretty fast typer, but transcription does not appear to interest, then again, that does not mean others may dislike doing transcription, and I would imagine that there are some that might be pretty damn going doing it, but it is just not for me either.

Last edited:

Kieranlewix

Credits
Just about anything can be transcribed, such as shorthand, notes, writing, video, voice, musical nodes, and you would also need to be pretty fast at transcription otherwise it could take you hours in order to complete a transcription task, and I would think you would need to be pretty good also. I even consider myself to be a pretty fast typer, but transcription does not appear to interest, then again, that does not mean others may dislike doing transcription, and I would imagine that there are some that might be pretty damn going doing it, but it is just not for me either.
Transcription can be pretty interesting. Most sites will instruct you to observe a high level of discretion with the video and audio files they give you to transcribe. You are not supposed to share them with friends or anyone else, in fact you are not even supposed to save them on your device. That makes it fun in that you actually feel like you are transcribing military conversations about nuclear weapons, matters of National Security and what not. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:You are also right about being good at it. They expect a good transcriptionist/transcriber with the ability to listen and decipher different accents. You may find that certain files are so hard to transcribe because the people talking have very deep accents. That is why you have to take tests in different English accents in order to prove your proficiency and have access to more files. There are people above you(transcriber) called QAs(Quality Assurance). Their job is to also listen to the same audio you have transcribed and correct the transcript you have submitted. You have to maintain a high level of accuracy and have very minimal corrections or else you may be kicked out. I guess it all comes down to the interest and experience you have.

Hova

Credits
How many clips do you get to transcribe on a single day? I'm asking cause I've been thinking of getting into it but I guess a thread like this one is what I've been waiting for.

Kieranlewix

Credits
How many clips do you get to transcribe on a single day? I'm asking cause I've been thinking of getting into it but I guess a thread like this one is what I've been waiting for.
On some days, the volume of work is so much that you may end up getting more than fifteen audio files. The shortest chunks of audio are two minutes long and go for about $0.50 per minute. Fifteen files would earn you about $15 and that would make it a pretty good day. On a bad day, you could make anywhere from $2 to $4.

Credits
On some days, the volume of work is so much that you may end up getting more than fifteen audio files. The shortest chunks of audio are two minutes long and go for about $0.50 per minute. Fifteen files would earn you about $15 and that would make it a pretty good day. On a bad day, you could make anywhere from $2 to $4.
oh hell no! You mean someone has to transcribe all day for $15? I am certainly not going to do that, and that would be something similar to survey sites, and I am not spending all day filling out survey sites earning just a few cents per survey, and I suspect the companies that actually host transcription or surveys will be the sites that make the big money, then they will pay their online workers next to nothing to work all day.

Transcription can be pretty interesting. Most sites will instruct you to observe a high level of discretion with the video and audio files they give you to transcribe. You are not supposed to share them with friends or anyone else, in fact you are not even supposed to save them on your device. That makes it fun in that you actually feel like you are transcribing military conversations about nuclear weapons, matters of National Security and what not. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:You are also right about being good at it. They expect a good transcriptionist/transcriber with the ability to listen and decipher different accents. You may find that certain files are so hard to transcribe because the people talking have very deep accents. That is why you have to take tests in different English accents in order to prove your proficiency and have access to more files. There are people above you(transcriber) called QAs(Quality Assurance). Their job is to also listen to the same audio you have transcribed and correct the transcript you have submitted. You have to maintain a high level of accuracy and have very minimal corrections or else you may be kicked out. I guess it all comes down to the interest and experience you have.
Just typing out posts can wear the mind out, even if transcription remotely was any interest to me, then I still do not think it for me, if typing posts can wear me out, then I do not think I could be able to handle having to transcribe voice or video files, and commend those that like doing this. :)

Last edited:

Hova

Credits
I will definitely try it then. I can't just knock it before I try it.

Credits
It's hard to transcribe audio. I tried applying for some of these sites but the audio quality is very poor. I can't hear some parts of the audio and they expect me to still transcribe those parts. Once I received the review of my application, a reviewer somehow managed to transcribe them. He/She must have very good headphones or hearing. I find this job too stressful because of the crappy audio that they let transcribers work with.

Hova

Credits
It's hard to transcribe audio. I tried applying for some of these sites but the audio quality is very poor. I can't hear some parts of the audio and they expect me to still transcribe those parts. Once I received the review of my application, a reviewer somehow managed to transcribe them. He/She must have very good headphones or hearing. I find this job too stressful because of the crappy audio that they let transcribers work with.
I will let you know on how my application goes.

KellyGeo

Credits
I haven't tried out any transcription sites yet, but I have read about how it's done. Maybe I would take out time to analyze some of the transcription sites which you listed out here and anyone that appeals to me well, I would give it a trial. Thanks for sharing.

Kieranlewix

Credits
I feel you man! I actually passed my transcription examination on GoTranscript but when I tried to handle one audio file, I ended up wondering why I took the exam in the first place. I know they usually prescribe foot pedals and very expensive headphones but it is kinda hard to acquire all those items while you are trying to make money yourself. TranscribeMe is different though. Their audio files are clearer and they give you a margin for error, so even if you don't hear a word clearly, you can type out what it sounded like and add a question mark, then enclose it in tags to imply that you've made an educated guess, eg. [San Jose?].

Hova

Credits
I feel you man! I actually passed my transcription examination on GoTranscript but when I tried to handle one audio file, I ended up wondering why I took the exam in the first place. I know they usually prescribe foot pedals and very expensive headphones but it is kinda hard to acquire all those items while you are trying to make money yourself. TranscribeMe is different though. Their audio files are clearer and they give you a margin for error, so even if you don't hear a word clearly, you can type out what it sounded like and add a question mark, then enclose it in tags to imply that you've made an educated guess, eg. [San Jose?].
TranscribeMe, got it. I was wondering where to start from but I guess I've got my answer.

Credits
That's great news. You passed the test of GoTranscript! I haven't gone through their test because they have a long list of guidelines to follow.

Are you still doing transcription on TranscribeMe?