The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 108 more

Facebook: a cause of increased depression

amitkokiladitya

Credits
According to a recent survey, Facebook is considered as one of the causes of increased rate of depression in the past few years. The depression rate has increased by 30% and 25% of the credit goes to Facebook.

Some of the people are so much affected by the fake pictures and exaggerated success stories of their fellow mates that they start feeling low of themselves. They fail to believe the fact that only 10% of what appears on social media is true. Rest all the struggles and issues behind the success stories and pictures lays unannounced.

These people are so much affected by the Facebook virtual world that they fail to believe in the reality of the real world. The most affected by this are the teenagers and middle aged struggling people. People boast about themselves and these people struggle to be one of them in the real life.

What are your thights about this?

Thakur

Credits
I can believe this because I see all what goes on on Facebook. Even me sometimes look at these people and wonder about myself but I don't let it get to me. I know much of it isn't true. I know people are getting anxious to compete with the others so when they can't match up no wonder it causes depression. Best to limit our time on those sites.

kattech

Credits
According to a recent survey, Facebook is considered as one of the causes of increased rate of depression in the past few years. The depression rate has increased by 30% and 25% of the credit goes to Facebook.

Some of the people are so much affected by the fake pictures and exaggerated success stories of their fellow mates that they start feeling low of themselves. They fail to believe the fact that only 10% of what appears on social media is true. Rest all the struggles and issues behind the success stories and pictures lays unannounced.

These people are so much affected by the Facebook virtual world that they fail to believe in the reality of the real world. The most affected by this are the teenagers and middle aged struggling people. People boast about themselves and these people struggle to be one of them in the real life.

Those who are depressed as a result of Facebook have done that by themselves why? If they see things which they may not like, I se no reason why they continue seeing them and or continue staying on Facebook well knowing that its bad for them. Oh no, that is not best since they create the issues themselves.

amitkokiladitya

Credits
Those who are depressed as a result of Facebook have done that by themselves why? If they see things which they may not like, I se no reason why they continue seeing them and or continue staying on Facebook well knowing that its bad for them. Oh no, that is not best since they create the issues themselves.
I understand your point. But this is not practically possible. If they were actually so sensible then nothing would have forced them to be affected by the virtual world of Facebook. The affected ones are only those who cannot monitor control over what they do and how they do. Depression always affects people who lack the practical way of living life. They feel that it is a compulsion to appear trendy ame successful among Facebook friends and this is what spoils the entire league.

overcast

Credits
I think many of us are kind of envy of people who have more money, better house, better travel, better wife and overall life experience of other people on Facebook. But we don't know their price for which they acquired all of that. I think on that note we all have depression.

amitkokiladitya

Credits
I think many of us are kind of envy of people who have more money, better house, better travel, better wife and overall life experience of other people on Facebook. But we don't know their price for which they acquired all of that. I think on that note we all have depression.
Yes...this is what is the basic point. People always post only about the good things of their life. They hardly post about their struggles and tough times. We all face both good and bad days. When we face the bad days we start envying all those who are having a good time. Overthinking about the good life others have leave us depressed.

Gabbar

Credits
I never felt that and don't know how it'll affect a person but maybe those who are like addicted to Facebook may face issues with that and

They should try to get away from this bad habit and should try to find something else fruitful to get engaged with

a_jerobon

Credits

I totally agree with you are saying here. Facebook has a become a world of people boasting about their successes. This makes those who don't feel like they are making it in life feel depressed. Most of those who feel this way lack self confidence and the understanding that not all that is posted on Facebook or any other social media site is true.

amitkokiladitya

Credits
I totally agree with you are saying here. Facebook has a become a world of people boasting about their successes. This makes those who don't feel like they are making it in life feel depressed. Most of those who feel this way lack self confidence and the understanding that not all that is posted on Facebook or any other social media site is true.
This is not the case always. Some people are really affected by the pictures and updates posted by their relatives and friends. I immediately enter a comparison mode and of they somehow feel that their circumstances are unable to make them do the sane thing they start feeling depressed.

Gabbar

Credits
If they are feeling bad then they also have the option to block them or unfriend them or even unfollow them and after which they won't see any of the updates posted by their relatives or friends and there friends won't even know that this person has unfollowed them.

amitkokiladitya

Credits
When I see disturbing images and posts on facebook, I feed bad. Since I have the history of anxiety, I block such posts immediately.
When I see disturbing images and posts on facebook, I feed bad. Since I have the history of anxiety, I block such posts immediately.
Yes...the best provision is to block such posts so as to avoid getting further notifications from the post. Sometimes the posts are too disturbing and the saddest part is that they are fake which have been forwarded by a bunch of insensible people.

chameli

Credits
Yes...the best provision is to block such posts so as to avoid getting further notifications from the post. Sometimes the posts are too disturbing and the saddest part is that they are fake which have been forwarded by a bunch of insensible people.
A lot of people do not know social media etiquette. They seem to like and share anything without bothering to check whether it is real or not.

Whiterose

Credits
I am not thinking that Facebook could be a source of depression because sometimes it only depends on how we use the site for the better or for the worse. Sometimes we are the reason why we are being depressed.

amitkokiladitya

Credits
A lot of people do not know social media etiquette. They seem to like and share anything without bothering to check whether it is real or not.
People who lack social etiquettes are widespread. They are spreading nuisance everywhere and not just on Facebook. I feel that the worst affected social media platform is Watsup which has become a hub of propagation of false forwarded messages.

overcast

Credits
It creates complex in our mind on how easily they made money. And how much they are rich than us. And that feeling can be pretty deadly as it is one of the sins off envy. So it;s always good idea to avoid shiny object syndrome there. That is what i have learned.

amitkokiladitya

Credits
It creates complex in our mind on how easily they made money. And how much they are rich than us. And that feeling can be pretty deadly as it is one of the sins off envy. So it;s always good idea to avoid shiny object syndrome there. That is what i have learned.
The simple rule is the grass is always greener at the other side of the fence. Most of the people don't enjoy whay they have and envy others for what they have. The others might be better financially but your life can be much relaxed and tension free than theirs. Maybe, they envy you because of this. It is upto us how we look at things.

Whiterose

Credits
I beleive that people get depressed in using Facebook because of excessive use and sometimes over the limit. They are trying to use it for different purposes even though sometimes it would result to negative impacts in our life.

chameli

Credits
People who lack social etiquettes are widespread. They are spreading nuisance everywhere and not just on Facebook. I feel that the worst affected social media platform is Watsup which has become a hub of propagation of false forwarded messages.
I am not on whatsapp, however, I know whatsapp message had once created a roit in India (I do not remember the name of the town, I heard the news on TV). Recently, whatsappads are being displayed on TV about not to spread rumors.

amitkokiladitya

Credits
I am not on whatsapp, however, I know whatsapp message had once created a roit in India (I do not remember the name of the town, I heard the news on TV). Recently, whatsappads are being displayed on TV about not to spread rumors.
Yes...with the increased incidences of transfer of fake news the watsup owners are trying to create awareness among its users. But I don't think this will be possible until they take strictly action against the defaulters. Some criminal minds find fun in spreading fake news..

Isn't watsup available in your country?