The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 86 more

Free Hosting or Paid Hosting

Heatman

Credits
Free and paid hosting are two options that are available for any site owners when they are looking at setting up their site business. Now some people would prefer paid hosting over free hosting, while some would suggest starting up with a free hosting and then switch over to paid hosting when the need arises.

Personally, I would recommend starting out with free hosting and later upgrade to paid hosting after seeing how your work goes, and it's quite easy to move over to paid hosting.

Free hosting and paid hosting, which would you recommend to new site owners?

Credits
Free and paid hosting are two options that are available for any site owners when they are looking at setting up their site business. Now some people would prefer paid hosting over free hosting, while some would suggest starting up with a free hosting and then switch over to paid hosting when the need arises.

Personally, I would recommend starting out with free hosting and later upgrade to paid hosting after seeing how your work goes, and it's quite easy to move over to paid hosting.

Free hosting and paid hosting, which would you recommend to new site owners?
It really depends on what you will be doing, so if you are just running pages, then free hosting may get you by for some time, however, if you are running scripts, those scripts such as XF, WordPress, etc require resources. I think the is site is currently on something called shared hosting, and it is barely getting the job done, and I can tell the blog and forum is running somewhat slower then they should. I have also seen the requirements for the platform that is planned for the main site, and I do not think the site can bare running anything that requires more resources in order to run efficiently, and fast, and I think our shared hosting will have to be upgraded to a higher plan that would be able to handle those resources better.

D

Deleted member 21

Like @DGStaff said, it depends on what you are doing. If you are testing out a website, it is probably better to go with free hosting and if your site proves worthwhile, then you can switch to paid advertising. It gets interesting when you are considering which type of paid hosting to use. Shared hosting is good when you are not doing a lot of work but it is also very dangerous. The chances of losing data when there's a malfunction with the server, or even with another computer that shares the hosting with yours, are very high. It is also does not provide room for expansion of your site. Personally, I'd pick cloud hosting every time.

Heatman

Credits
It really depends on what you will be doing, so if you are just running pages, then free hosting may get you by for some time, however, if you are running scripts, those scripts such as XF, WordPress, etc require resources. I think the is site is currently on something called shared hosting, and it is barely getting the job done, and I can tell the blog and forum is running somewhat slower then they should. I have also seen the requirements for the platform that is planned for the main site, and I do not think the site can bare running anything that requires more resources in order to run efficiently, and fast, and I think our shared hosting will have to be upgraded to a higher plan that would be able to handle those resources better.
That's very understandable what you just said. The nature of one's job would go a long way to deciding the kind of hosting that would be appropriate for the site. Free hosting can definitely serve one's needs effectively if it's just to run pages as you mentioned but doing a script with it will most likely not go well.

Credits
That's very understandable what you just said. The nature of one's job would go a long way to deciding the kind of hosting that would be appropriate for the site. Free hosting can definitely serve one's needs effectively if it's just to run pages as you mentioned but doing a script with it will most likely not go well.
if one is really serious on starting an online business, then free hosting should be out of the question; Free hosting simply is not very reliable, and if you can not even afford $10/mo for a decent host, then maybe you should really re-consider if even starting a business is even possible. I can say how much DG on this domain, but it was several thousand dollars, and that was just for the domain, and nothing else, and that is the price to pay if you want to risk alot of money starting a business, and until that business takes off, then it is nothing more then cost, and investment, and if one can not even afford $10 hosting, then that would imply that they do not really have the money to properly invest in their own business, and it takes time to build the business from the ground floor into something that people would want to be a part of one day, and you can not do this without money.

Jayson

Credits
Well, ads can be a trade-off for those who want free, yet the same power as quality hosting. Anyway, for an example of this in action, look for free forums. These are basically places where a forum is already installed for you.

D

Deleted member 27

If someone is still new to webmaster business, I think it's only proper to kick things off using free hosting and learn the reigns of the job before moving up to paid hosting. The same thing is equally applicable to choosing forum theme, you can get things off with free themes in which there really are good ones out there to be used and once you have a clear sense of direction on what you desire for your site, then you can upgrade to both paid hosting and including custom themes.

Credits
If someone is still new to webmaster business, I think it's only proper to kick things off using free hosting and learn the reigns of the job before moving up to paid hosting. The same thing is equally applicable to choosing forum theme, you can get things off with free themes in which there really are good ones out there to be used and once you have a clear sense of direction on what you desire for your site, then you can upgrade to both paid hosting and including custom themes.
If you have to work with the resources that you have available. I know that DG uses paid hosting for Digital Global, and I am pretty sure it is shared hosting, and there would be no need for him to upgrade until the site gets more traffic that would force an upgrade, until then, you use what is avaiable until a time that may require for you to upgrade your hosting, regardless if it is free or paid hosting, however, we would advise that you go with paid hosting simply because those free hosting offers normally are not stable, and you face more downtime compared to paid hosting.

D

Deleted member 27

If you have to work with the resources that you have available. I know that DG uses paid hosting for Digital Global, and I am pretty sure it is shared hosting, and there would be no need for him to upgrade until the site gets more traffic that would force an upgrade, until then, you use what is avaiable until a time that may require for you to upgrade your hosting, regardless if it is free or paid hosting, however, we would advise that you go with paid hosting simply because those free hosting offers normally are not stable, and you face more downtime compared to paid hosting.
There is no denying the fact that paid hosting is far more better than free hosting. Their services and offers aren't the same, paid hosting have better advantage to its users than the free hosting service. It's only advised just like I said that should one still need time to adjust and see how his or her website would go for free hosting before deciding on getting paid hosting or dump the site if the work isn't convincing to the individual.

Credits
There is no denying the fact that paid hosting is far more better than free hosting. Their services and offers aren't the same, paid hosting have better advantage to its users than the free hosting service. It's only advised just like I said that should one still need time to adjust and see how his or her website would go for free hosting before deciding on getting paid hosting or dump the site if the work isn't convincing to the individual.
Google demands that your website is up and running at all times, and if you use free hosting methods, then I think your site will be down more times then it will be up, and if you site is not up, and running as fast as possible which free hosts can not provide, then google may start de-indexing your site, and I recently seen a site that had over 5 million posts, and the site was down for less than a month, and google has completely removed them from google search, however, I am not sure the cause or reason, and may be the owner was not paying attention to what was going on, today his site is slowly coming back, yesterday he had 10k results, and today he had 50k results showing in google, and his ranking may never be the same, why? once you lose your position in google, then you will have to earn back the trust google had in your site, so he will have to work his way back up again, and this is why it is imperative that your site uses a high quality paid host, and you will not have to worry as you would if you used a free host, and always make backups!

Heatman

Credits
Google demands that your website is up and running at all times, and if you use free hosting methods, then I think your site will be down more times then it will be up, and if you site is not up, and running as fast as possible which free hosts can not provide, then google may start de-indexing your site, and I recently seen a site that had over 5 million posts, and the site was down for less than a month, and google has completely removed them from google search, however, I am not sure the cause or reason, and may be the owner was not paying attention to what was going on, today his site is slowly coming back, yesterday he had 10k results, and today he had 50k results showing in google, and his ranking may never be the same, why? once you lose your position in google, then you will have to earn back the trust google had in your site, so he will have to work his way back up again, and this is why it is imperative that your site uses a high quality paid host, and you will not have to worry as you would if you used a free host, and always make backups!
Wow, how can a site owner who has about 5 million post indexed on Google allow all that much work to go to waste? It's not a proper thing to do, although there might have been something which might have caused his time away from the site for over a month but he or she would have made preparations for such time away. He would have contracted another person to help him and manage the site until he could be able to take care of it again, than just abandon it. It's going to take a while to get back to where he was at before with the 5 million indexed post because 50k posts is no way near where he used to be.

D

Deleted member 27

It's such a shame that such thing happened to that site that had 5 million posts suffered the cold harsh stick of Google for failing to keep up being up and running consistently. This is why I say that using free hosting is only appropriate when you are just doing test trial for your site and once you mean business, it's in your best interest to move up to paid hosting. Using a free hosting service is simply gambling with your online business.

Credits
It's such a shame that such thing happened to that site that had 5 million posts suffered the cold harsh stick of Google for failing to keep up being up and running consistently. This is why I say that using free hosting is only appropriate when you are just doing test trial for your site and once you mean business, it's in your best interest to move up to paid hosting. Using a free hosting service is simply gambling with your online business.
Back in the early days of Google when they did not know what they were doing, then it would take weeks or even months for a website to get kicked out of google search, not anymore, if Google detects that your site is down after so many spider hits, then your site will be dropped from google search very fast, and Google does this in order to keep Google search fresh, and when a site goes down, then Google does not know if it will be back online.

D

Deleted member 27

Back in the early days of Google when they did not know what they were doing, then it would take weeks or even months for a website to get kicked out of google search, not anymore, if Google detects that your site is down after so many spider hits, then your site will be dropped from google search very fast, and Google does this in order to keep Google search fresh, and when a site goes down, then Google does not know if it will be back online.
Everything improves as the day goes on, and it's simply the case with Google in its mode of operation. It seeks to get better by the day. I can remember when Google wasn't that popular as it is today but its constant upgrades have come to help it rise above its competitor and become the most used search engine in the world. So, having the knowledge of how Google works is very important because it would help a site owner not to get into the wrong end of the search engine otherwise your site would pay a heavy price for it.

D

Deleted member 82

I see that there are many free hosting services out there that you can use such as Byethost, 000webhost, hostinger, awardspace, 5gbfree, etc...However if you are serious about your business, I also would suggest that you do not use free hosting. Because in the future, your business may get increase and become bigger then you will face to many problems with free hosting such as limited bandwidth, CPU, memory,...And in case your traffic is huge, CPU is overloaded…, your account will be suspended from the provider without any notification. So go with paid hosting for the first time you run your business.

Good luck to you!

overcast

Credits
I remember wasting years and years on hosting forums. And then buying the free hosting packages that were through the forum posting packages. And I can tell you that it was really bad decision in that case. And it was really hard to sustain those sites. Downtime on free servers is high. And also SEO value drops considerably with such sites being on the poor servers and less accessible. Always go for the paid hosting. And make sure that the host is reliable in terms of the speed of the website serving.

Credits
I remember wasting years and years on hosting forums. And then buying the free hosting packages that were through the forum posting packages. And I can tell you that it was really bad decision in that case. And it was really hard to sustain those sites. Downtime on free servers is high. And also SEO value drops considerably with such sites being on the poor servers and less accessible. Always go for the paid hosting. And make sure that the host is reliable in terms of the speed of the website serving.
Not just paid to host, but you should do your research as I have seen paid hosting run no better than free hosting. You will have to do some research, look at reviews, and make sure the hosting provider has been around long enough. These days hosting can pop up out of no-where, and within a few months, they will be gone and running a hosting business is not a cake walk either.

Heatman

Credits
Not just paid to host, but you should do your research as I have seen paid hosting run no better than free hosting. You will have to do some research, look at reviews, and make sure the hosting provider has been around long enough. These days hosting can pop up out of no-where, and within a few months, they will be gone and running a hosting business is not a cake walk either.
Exactly! A very detailed research needs to be carried out before going with any hosting services even if it's free or paid hosting service. Business history matter a lot in such industry and when a hosting provider has been in business over a long period of time and having satisfied its clients all these while means that it's a nice option to make use of.

overcast

Credits
Yes I am being more cautious about paid hosting too. If you are buying hosting, avoid the brands owned by the EIG. Just google "EIG Hosting companies". And avoid those brands. Such as hostgator, bluehost etc. Because those sites are overselling their servers and makes it harder to have better quality. I am currently hosted with the hawkhost and I wish to keep them for some time. I hope to switch to the digitalocean sooner or later. Because digital ocean is being used by popular companies.

Heatman

Credits
Yes I am being more cautious about paid hosting too. If you are buying hosting, avoid the brands owned by the EIG. Just google "EIG Hosting companies". And avoid those brands. Such as hostgator, bluehost etc. Because those sites are overselling their servers and makes it harder to have better quality. I am currently hosted with the hawkhost and I wish to keep them for some time. I hope to switch to the digitalocean sooner or later. Because digital ocean is being used by popular companies.
I have come across few reviews on EIG Hosting and from what I have seen so far, their services isn't full proof for anyone to depend on using them because they are definitely going to leave you hanging out in the rain. Getting to see you talk about them here shows that you have experienced or read about them as well.