• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Free Hosting or Paid Hosting

Heatman

Apr 18, 2018
Credits
Free and paid hosting are two options that are available for any site owners when they are looking at setting up their site business. Now some people would prefer paid hosting over free hosting, while some would suggest starting up with a free hosting and then switch over to paid hosting when the need arises.

Personally, I would recommend starting out with free hosting and later upgrade to paid hosting after seeing how your work goes, and it's quite easy to move over to paid hosting.

Free hosting and paid hosting, which would you recommend to new site owners?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Feb 12, 2018
Everywhere....
digitalglobal.com
Credits
Free and paid hosting are two options that are available for any site owners when they are looking at setting up their site business. Now some people would prefer paid hosting over free hosting, while some would suggest starting up with a free hosting and then switch over to paid hosting when the need arises.

Personally, I would recommend starting out with free hosting and later upgrade to paid hosting after seeing how your work goes, and it's quite easy to move over to paid hosting.

Free hosting and paid hosting, which would you recommend to new site owners?
It really depends on what you will be doing, so if you are just running pages, then free hosting may get you by for some time, however, if you are running scripts, those scripts such as XF, WordPress, etc require resources. I think the is site is currently on something called shared hosting, and it is barely getting the job done, and I can tell the blog and forum is running somewhat slower then they should. I have also seen the requirements for the platform that is planned for the main site, and I do not think the site can bare running anything that requires more resources in order to run efficiently, and fast, and I think our shared hosting will have to be upgraded to a higher plan that would be able to handle those resources better.

Kieranlewix

Apr 25, 2018
Credits
Like @DGStaff said, it depends on what you are doing. If you are testing out a website, it is probably better to go with free hosting and if your site proves worthwhile, then you can switch to paid advertising. It gets interesting when you are considering which type of paid hosting to use. Shared hosting is good when you are not doing a lot of work but it is also very dangerous. The chances of losing data when there's a malfunction with the server, or even with another computer that shares the hosting with yours, are very high. It is also does not provide room for expansion of your site. Personally, I'd pick cloud hosting every time.

Heatman

Apr 18, 2018
Credits
It really depends on what you will be doing, so if you are just running pages, then free hosting may get you by for some time, however, if you are running scripts, those scripts such as XF, WordPress, etc require resources. I think the is site is currently on something called shared hosting, and it is barely getting the job done, and I can tell the blog and forum is running somewhat slower then they should. I have also seen the requirements for the platform that is planned for the main site, and I do not think the site can bare running anything that requires more resources in order to run efficiently, and fast, and I think our shared hosting will have to be upgraded to a higher plan that would be able to handle those resources better.
That's very understandable what you just said. The nature of one's job would go a long way to deciding the kind of hosting that would be appropriate for the site. Free hosting can definitely serve one's needs effectively if it's just to run pages as you mentioned but doing a script with it will most likely not go well.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Feb 12, 2018
Everywhere....
digitalglobal.com
Credits
That's very understandable what you just said. The nature of one's job would go a long way to deciding the kind of hosting that would be appropriate for the site. Free hosting can definitely serve one's needs effectively if it's just to run pages as you mentioned but doing a script with it will most likely not go well.
if one is really serious on starting an online business, then free hosting should be out of the question; Free hosting simply is not very reliable, and if you can not even afford $10/mo for a decent host, then maybe you should really re-consider if even starting a business is even possible. I can say how much DG on this domain, but it was several thousand dollars, and that was just for the domain, and nothing else, and that is the price to pay if you want to risk alot of money starting a business, and until that business takes off, then it is nothing more then cost, and investment, and if one can not even afford $10 hosting, then that would imply that they do not really have the money to properly invest in their own business, and it takes time to build the business from the ground floor into something that people would want to be a part of one day, and you can not do this without money.

Top Bottom