Getting over writer's block

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
filmmaker-2838945_640.jpg

It's no secret, writer's block happens to everyone. It can become very frustrating anytime you try to create content for your website. No need to stress over it. Writer's block will eventually pass. The following are a few simple techniques to help you work through writer's block and get you back to being productive.

More often than not, writer's block is brought about by not being motivated enough. Chances are that you simply just don't feel like writing. The easiest way to deal with this type of writer's block is to push yourself through, and begin with a simple writing activity. Maybe you want to outline your content first, or perhaps prepare a rough draft for the content.

The second method is to convince yourself that you only have to write a single page. If you are crafting an article, then just simply write a single paragraph. Taking one step forward at a time allows you to look for a little motivation, and every now and then, that's all that's necessary.

It could be that you have no idea what to write about, or you just feel uninspired. There are lots of ways to make writing fun in order to move beyond this form of writer's block.

It often helps to take a walk in order to clear your mind. Sometimes it's easier to come up with new ideas while you're away from the computer. Listening to music is another way that can harness your creative side rather quickly. Browse through other blog sites that are related. Read the latest news or a magazine. You will find that there are certainly inspiring content ideas pretty much everywhere.

Changing your surroundings can also be very helpful. It's so easy to find yourself in the same routine doing the same thing day after day. Whenever you switch your daily routine it could be enough to take you directly out of writer's block. Give some thought to writing in another room, during a different time of day or perhaps even at another location. Visit your local coffee shop or library to welcome a change of pace.

As an alternative, start at the bottom of your article and work your way up to the top. Create a call to action. Outline your article. Next, work your way backward through the entire article. When finished, shut down your computer. Grab a beverage and pick up a pen and paper to begin writing some new ideas the old-fashioned way. There is definitely something refreshing with regards to writing with a pen and paper. You'll be able to enter it into your computer and edit it afterward.

Last but not least, give some thought to creating a few writing tasks. Tasks can assist you to determine the atmosphere. They help assist you in order to switch your thought process on and everything else off. A cup of coffee, some meditation or perhaps a short walk around the neighborhood might be all you need to get your writing mindset flowing.

Last edited:
Whenever I feel that it's getting hard for me to write, I take a break and rest.

I usually experience this if I've been writing for a week no- stop and when the flow of words in my mind stops then I leave whatever I'm writing, get dressed and go out to the mall to window-shop or watch a good movie also, I resort to eating what I want, and sometimes I invite a couple of friends over to a bar or restaurant for some drinks and some downtime. This would give me the rest and motivation I need and will freshen my cluttered mind.

maestro

Credits
I have this trick I happened to stumble upon, I don't know if it will be of any help to you guys but it has helped me to overcome writer's block and I can promise that it really works. Find music that helps you concentrate and then create a playlist and then load it into your ipod. Whenever you feel like you are not in the zone, just go back to your playlist and you'll be good to go.

Kieranlewix

Credits
I have this trick I happened to stumble upon, I don't know if it will be of any help to you guys but it has helped me to overcome writer's block and I can promise that it really works. Find music that helps you concentrate and then create a playlist and then load it into your ipod. Whenever you feel like you are not in the zone, just go back to your playlist and you'll be good to go.
I guess you and I have two completely opposite strategies of overcoming writer's block. I find that my mind works better when I put my body through vigorous activity or subject it to things I don't want to do. I figured this out when I was in High school. Instead of reading for Biology tests, I would instead write three chapters of a Sci-fi book during preps. Those chapters turned into 3 volumes, 12 chapters each, within a period of four years. Now I want to have my own series movie once I have enough cash to hire a producer and a cast. Ever since I completed High school, I haven't been able to continue my book, not even an additional chapter. My mind just got too comfortable.

When I'm working on articles, and I happen to run into a writer's block, I get down on my hands and legs and do a couple thousand pushups. By the time I'm done, in my mind I have already made not less than ten paragraphs of content. I guess we all have different coping mechanisms.:)

maestro

Credits
I guess you and I have two completely opposite strategies of overcoming writer's block. I find that my mind works better when I put my body through vigorous activity or subject it to things I don't want to do. I figured this out when I was in High school. Instead of reading for Biology tests, I would instead write three chapters of a Sci-fi book during preps. Those chapters turned into 3 volumes, 12 chapters each, within a period of four years. Now I want to have my own series movie once I have enough cash to hire a producer and a cast. Ever since I completed High school, I haven't been able to continue my book, not even an additional chapter. My mind just got too comfortable.

When I'm working on articles, and I happen to run into a writer's block, I get down on my hands and legs and do a couple thousand pushups. By the time I'm done, in my mind I have already made not less than ten paragraphs of content. I guess we all have different coping mechanisms.:)
I've created this hip hop playlist that has programmed my brain to think in a certain way and whenever I listen to it, it triggers something and my mind enters into some sort of trance which then helps me when I'm trying to come up with creative content.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits

I have zero interest in becoming a writer, and you really need to have a disciplined mind, of which, I do not have, and I find it hard enough just keeping up with you guys when I write short replies, and once the forum starts growing, then I may not be able to keep up at all, and there is nothing wrong with that, as DG will let you guys do what you do best, and I probably would be doing something else in order to help improve the site, however, that does not mean I will not be around, then the forum will be allowed to turn into crazy-ville as that will not be the case at all, and do not get me wrong, as I do enjoy being involved in discussions, but it does take alot out of me as I can get tired from writing for long periods of time or even short period of time depending on mood. :)

Heatman

Credits
I think that most times when one suffers from writer's block it happens when one has tasked the brain too much that it's too stressed out to focus and generate fresh-good ideas. This has happened to me several times and it's more common when I'm trying and pressuring myself to deliver on all fronts that I have writing jobs to deliver.

When writer's block kick in with me, what I normally do is try not to force it to break away but I would just take some time off from doing any manner of writing and give my mind and brain some rest. I might go for a swim, a walk or cinema.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I think that most times when one suffers from writer's block it happens when one has tasked the brain too much that it's too stressed out to focus and generate fresh-good ideas. This has happened to me several times and it's more common when I'm trying and pressuring myself to deliver on all fronts that I have writing jobs to deliver.

When writer's block kick in with me, what I normally do is try not to force it to break away but I would just take some time off from doing any manner of writing and give my mind and brain some rest. I might go for a swim, a walk or cinema.
I would imagine if you are under a lot of pressure and stress to get content written, then you could be faced with writer's block as you mind may not be working properly in order to write your words down in a proper manner, and the best you can do is what you have said, take a break, get proper sleep, exercise, go for a walk, eat right, then come back to your writing task at a later time, or start a new project and come back to it later.

Heatman

Credits
I would imagine if you are under a lot of pressure and stress to get content written, then you could be faced with writer's block as you mind may not be working properly in order to write your words down in a proper manner, and the best you can do is what you have said, take a break, get proper sleep, exercise, go for a walk, eat right, then come back to your writing task at a later time, or start a new project and come back to it later.
The options which you outlined above are quite good and effective in combating writer's block. I employ most of them in dealing - tackling my own writer's block once it sets in but there is one which I don't usually do and it's trying to sleep it off. That particular trick has never worked for me, not even once so I gave up on using it to tackle writer's block whenever I have it.