The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 108 more

Having A Parrot As Pet?

Gabbar

Credits
I think having a Parrot as a pet is quite common in most of the countries in the world.
The only thing which makes it different from other pets is care and parrots need more care and we must have seen many parrots even speak like humans so they are special and parrots are available in different colors like red and Green. They do like Green chillies a lot as well.

But there are many that believe, it's not good to pet parrots as we are putting them under a cage. But that's a different topic and can be discussed separately.

What are your views about it? Would you like to have Parrot as a pet? Please share.

sprite1950

Credits
I have a friend who has an African Grey parrot but at first he regretted buying it. It was very noisy and as you say it is not good for it to be caged all the time so he would let it fly around the room. Once it pecked his ear so badly he had to go to hospital. I was quite scared of it when I visited as it would sit close to me and stare at me.

He has had it for many years now and it has calmed down a bit but I think you need to do a lot of research before owning a parrot as they can be difficult to handle. Not a pet I would choose to own.

Gabbar

Credits
I have a friend who has an African Grey parrot but at first he regretted buying it. It was very noisy and as you say it is not good for it to be caged all the time so he would let it fly around the room. Once it pecked his ear so badly he had to go to hospital. I was quite scared of it when I visited as it would sit close to me and stare at me.

He has had it for many years now and it has calmed down a bit but I think you need to do a lot of research before owning a parrot as they can be difficult to handle. Not a pet I would choose to own.
You are right about it. I owned one when I was a kid but it died very early and after that I never asked my parents for a pet. Parrots can be unpredictable with how they may behave and surely some research will help.

arunima25

Credits
My mom had two parrots when we were young and they went to their cages only in the night. They would hop everywhere and on our shoulders all through the day and go to their nest when they wanted to eat. They were named Kalyani and Vani. They would parrot everything that we said. They stayed for more than 40 years with my mom. Kalyani died of some infection and later Vani being alone felt sad and refused to eat and she also died.

Gabbar

Credits
My mom had two parrots when we were young and they went to their cages only in the night. They would hop everywhere and on our shoulders all through the day and go to their nest when they wanted to eat. They were named Kalyani and Vani. They would parrot everything that we said. They stayed for more than 40 years with my mom. Kalyani died of some infection and later Vani being alone felt sad and refused to eat and she also died.
Thanks for sharing, parrots are very common in India and heard a very inspirational story on Facebook when a person who is feeding many parrots daily from a long time from his limited salary was facing issues with the authorities.

Credits
It will really fun to have a parrot as a pet, I have never owned one though people keep them as pet a lot. Having the talking creature around one home will be very funny, with it repeating all one have been saying.I will really want to have a parrot.

Gabbar

Credits
It will really fun to have a parrot as a pet, I have never owned one though people keep them as pet a lot. Having the talking creature around one home will be very funny, with it repeating all one have been saying.I will really want to have a parrot.
Yeah, they are indeed very funny and you can have it as it doesn't much cost but they demand more care so if you can take care then it's best to have them.

arunima25

Credits
It is good to have parrots as pet. They are funny and they do keep you entertained if it is a talking parrot. Parrots have a long life span and can survive more than a century. So they can be a company for your whole life. But you have to make sure that you keep it free from infections and from predators like cats. They can create a bit of mess if not trained properly.

Gabbar

Credits
It is good to have parrots as pet. They are funny and they do keep you entertained if it is a talking parrot. Parrots have a long life span and can survive more than a century. So they can be a company for your whole life. But you have to make sure that you keep it free from infections and from predators like cats. They can create a bit of mess if not trained properly.
Wow, I was not aware that they can survive for centuries and haven't seen any stay up till that longer time but slowly many are leaving the habit of having a parrot in India.

arunima25

Credits
Wow, I was not aware that they can survive for centuries and haven't seen any stay up till that longer time but slowly many are leaving the habit of having a parrot in India.
They live long. Their average life span goes beyond a century. But they should be not preyed upon by predators or die of some infection and disease.

Gabbar

Credits
They live long. Their average life span goes beyond a century. But they should be not preyed upon by predators or die of some infection and disease.
Thanks for sharing this with us but maybe the air isn't that much fresh and that must have affected the lifespan of parrots as well as they are more delicate than us so-called humans.

a_jerobon

Credits
I think having a Parrot as a pet is quite common in most of the countries in the world.
The only thing which makes it different from other pets is care and parrots need more care and we must have seen many parrots even speak like humans so they are special and parrots are available in different colors like red and Green. They do like Green chillies a lot as well.

But there are many that believe, it's not good to pet parrots as we are putting them under a cage. But that's a different topic and can be discussed separately.

What are your views about it? Would you like to have Parrot as a pet? Please share.
I have never seen anyone who ke

My neighbor had a parrot as a pet and it was awsome. It was red in colour and it only went to its cage at night. During the day, he would spend most of his time with the parrot as he was old and not working. He had even taught it our language and he could understand it. Parrots are so awesome and clever. I would like to have one someday too.

moh254

Credits
Yeah, I think I can try having parrot as a pet because the kind of care and food needed is more like a hen. Having a parrot as a pet is better than having a dog or cat. Besides I don't think it requires much more experience.

Gabbar

Credits
It does not require much experience but you still need to take care of them and feed them at proper time and provide them water. They are very good pets and even talk as well.

A K Rao

Credits
As you said, it is not a good idea of keep parrots caged! Their basic freedom of flying has been snatched the moment they are caged!

So if any one wants to keep a parrot then they must have a sufficient big Aviary with natural surroundings where the parrots can fly and enjoy. The aviary should have proper sunlight as well shade too!

like any other pets Parrots also needed to be vaccinated and they need supplements along with the grains!

There are variety of parrots which can be kept as Pets!

aanya

Credits
I too also feel parrots or any kind of birds should not be caged.. It is like we are taking away their freedom and rights.. Even the same applies for rabbits, squirrels, tortoises

Gabbar

Credits
Yeah, but parrots are mostly kept in cages and as I shared above by sprite that some are very deadly ones as well. Although freedom is important for everyone.

aanya

Credits
Yeah, but parrots are mostly kept in cages and as I shared above by sprite that some are very deadly ones as well. Although freedom is important for everyone.
Yes, my friend has also 2 parrots.. One of my friend asked her to free them but she replied that one of parrot won't survive outside.. We did not argue further.