The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 108 more

How do you prevent spammers from messing up your website?

Heatman

Credits
Most times what webmasters face in the course of running their website is the activities of spammers and once you leave the unchecked, they are definitely going to render your online business useless.

What are the best ways to prevent spammers from ruining one's business? Some use moderation to counter the activities of spammers. What ways would be very effective in preventing spammers from destroying your business?

arunima25

Credits
The role of moderator and admin becomes crucial in that. They can delete the low quality or redundant posts and even the points earned can be deleted. This will definitely discourage spamming. A more strict step can be banning the user who is trying to spam after a few initial warnings. This will put all on their foot to post quality stuff and refrain from spamming.

Credits
The role of moderator and admin becomes crucial in that. They can delete the low quality or redundant posts and even the points earned can be deleted. This will definitely discourage spamming. A more strict step can be banning the user who is trying to spam after a few initial warnings. This will put all on their foot to post quality stuff and refrain from spamming.
You are so right, and when you fall asleep at the wheel like I did, then people will start creating posts and topics that just run amuck, and provide zero value to the forum. When you create a post, then it needs to be on topic for that category, and by creating a post that is so off-topic will bring the wrong traffic to a site, and will increase the bounce rate of the site.

johnywalker

Credits
I am publishing on a site. There was a time when I used to see a lot of spam posts, and after a day these posts were deleted by the admin. The admin even posted updates about spammers being banned. However, these days admin has stopped auto posting feature for new registrations and this has stopped spam post. Taking in quality writers and lot letting any Tom Dick and Harry to register on your site is a good way to stop spammers.

Kehsiba

Credits
I don't know much about preventing spammers. We can prevent real human spammers from our website but we can make trash their comments. The robot spammers can be prevented by using captcha. Only humans real humans can solve the captcha and the robots can't solve the captcha.

Soubhagya2018

Credits
You may not think your site is anything worth being hacked for , but websites are compromised all time. The majority of website security breaches are not to steal your data or mess with your website layout but instead attempts to use your as an email relay for spam , or to setup a temporary web server, normally to serve files of an illegal nature.
I want to share some tips to help keep you and your site safe online .
1. Keep software up to date
2. Watchout for SQL injection

(SQL injection attacks are when an use a web from field or URL permanent to gain access to or manipulate your database)
3. Protect against XSS attacks
( cross site scripting (XSS ) attack inject malicious JavaScript in to your pages which then run in the browser of your user and can change page content or steal information to send back to the attacker .
4. Beware of error messages
( Be careful how much information you give away in your error messages.
5. Validate on both sides
( validation should always to be done both on the web browser and server side)
6. Check your passwords
7. Avoid file uploads
8. Use HTTPS and get website security tools .

arunima25

Credits
I am publishing on a site. There was a time when I used to see a lot of spam posts, and after a day these posts were deleted by the admin. The admin even posted updates about spammers being banned. However, these days admin has stopped auto posting feature for new registrations and this has stopped spam post. Taking in quality writers and lot letting any Tom Dick and Harry to register on your site is a good way to stop spammers.
Disabling auto post feature is a good way to stop spamming. But it is feasible to do it only for new users. If it is done for all, it might not be practical solution. Moreover, the users might not find it friendly that all their posts go for screening.
So for how long did they ban this feature for any new user??

Credits
Stopping spammers will need one activating the captcha solving feature and putting a moderator in place to check mate spam comments. Spamming can also be controlled if unhelpful and non related comments are always deleted too.

sprite1950

Credits
Some sites like Postloop and the Forum Wheel make you take a test before you can join the site so that owners can check post quality but spammers still get through. People don't like it but I can see why owners do it.

metsrock69

Credits
Years ago when I had a website, many spammers would post something on my page but before it would be posted on the page , I would have to approve it to be on the page and most of the time I would just delete them

Gabbar

Credits
I think DG is doing well but letting members first post 1-3 posts and then check if they can add value to the forum or not. Also having an active moderator can help to see this and user can be warned and banned later.

chameli

Credits
I don't mind spammers on my website. As long as they are engaging with my content and not messing up with my site security, it is perfectly fine. I moderate comments manually and delete spam comments.

DigitalGlobal

Digital Global℠
Staff member
Credits
I think DG is doing well but letting members first post 1-3 posts and then check if they can add value to the forum or not. Also having an active moderator can help to see this and user can be warned and banned later.
As the site gets more popular, and the ranking grows, then a number of spammers will signup when registration is open; Even when the last time the forum was open, several spammers signed up hoping to get their affiliates posted, however, none of you seen this because I did not allow them on the forum. I am not interested in allowing posts that have already been spammed on 100s of sites prior to this one, so their content would have not been unique or useful, other then a self-serving purpose for the spammer.

This may be an inconvenience to legit new members, however, I think this is a fair process in order to weed out the spammers while allowing the legit members on the forum, and if it takes a day or two for them to be approved, then that is fine.

At the very least, if someone really wants to be part of the forum, and the forum is closed, then they can contact support, and I will consider their request, but if I leave the forum open, then that will open the door, and I would have to delete spammer posts in que on a daily basis' and this would only get worse as the site gains higher rankings in the search engines.

There are 3 things that I dislike most, and they are:

• Curiosity Seekers
  • Tire Kickers
  • and spammers

Curiosity seekers and tire kickers have no real interest other then signing up for the moment, and they only return if they feel if it is something that is going to benefit them, otherwise, and for the most part, they are not participators, and spammers are the scum of the earth as they will send their bots to do the work that they are to lazy to do themselves.....

Gabbar

Credits
Thanks for updating about it. I can see this happening on all websites and glad you are doing it perfectly. This will help all of us as no one like to see spam posts

johnywalker

Credits
Disabling auto post feature is a good way to stop spamming. But it is feasible to do it only for new users. If it is done for all, it might not be practical solution. Moreover, the users might not find it friendly that all their posts go for screening.
So for how long did they ban this feature for any new user??
This depends on how good is the site. If the site is highly rewarding, people would not mind their post going through screening process. In fact they will understand this why their posts have to be manually approved.

Gabbar

Credits
It's a good thing that DG is monetering posts and these sort of things helps to keep a check on websites as many scammers can join on a open website.

johnywalker

Credits
Spammers can create a lot of problems for your website, however, they can also generate some activities on the site. Well, I am not saying we should allow spammers, what I mean spammers also generate traffic and engagements on the site. They might visit different posts, create some posts.

Gabbar

Credits
I think we need to have a periodic check and even the report button helps as those who are valued users of a website will certainly report the spammy posts.

johnywalker

Credits
If your website is basically a content website (a blog or forum), you should take a lot of care on what kind of members are on your site and what kinds of posts are created. If the posts on the website do not add value and are created just for the sake if increasing post count, such posts are also spam.