The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 99 more

[ SCAM ] How do you spot a business or website scam?

Credits
Hello everyone!

We've all spent a lot of time to look for ways to earn money online. We hate it if a website turns out to be a scam. It would be a waste of time and effort, sometimes even money if the website or group asks for an initial investment to join. Some websites might trick you to do tasks for them but will not pay you money for your services.

So, how do you guys spot a scam? Do you have some criteria if a site or business isn't worth spending time and efforts on? Have you experienced getting scammed and learned how to spot similar sites?

Heatman

Credits
Hello everyone!

We've all spent a lot of time to look for ways to earn money online. We hate it if a website turns out to be a scam. It would be a waste of time and effort, sometimes even money if the website or group asks for an initial investment to join. Some websites might trick you to do tasks for them but will not pay you money for your services.

So, how do you guys spot a scam? Do you have some criteria if a site or business isn't worth spending time and efforts on? Have you experienced getting scammed and learned how to spot similar sites?
I have been scammed a few times mostly when I was still into ponzi. If I still remembered correctly, it was MMM-GLOBAL that I lost so much money on then. It was a ponzi scheme set up by Sergei Mavrodi who died recently few months.

Then I actually didn't know it was a ponzi scheme until recently I read a review about both MMM-GLOBAL and MMM-RETURNS. It was such a crazy time in my life back then.

Kieranlewix

Credits
Hello everyone!

I have only gotten scammed twice in my life. Before I realized what working online actually meant, I was looking for an easy gig that I could do for like an hour and easily make $5 or so. That's how I landed on paid to click sites. These are sites that pay you to click on ads. I have never had the patience to reach the withdrawal threshold they set so I don't really know if they are scams or not. However, two sites that really did a number on me were http://oxemoney.site and http://dailypocket.online . They go by many other links by basically they are all scams. If you happen to get a link that directs you to any of the above sites or looks like any of them, don't fall for it!

Last edited by a moderator:

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Hello everyone!

Everyone likes to talk about the experiences that they have, and it is not always easy to even spot a scammer if they know how to start their scam in a clever manner to begin with, and they start out by setting up a site that legit fairly legit and trustworthy, and they will continue with scam as long as new money is coming in, and once the scammer has been out, then they bail, their website goes down, phone numbers are disconnect, and then they may look into starting the process all over again, and most times, by the time you find out it is a scam, then it is already too late, and your money is gone.

I have been scammed a few times mostly when I was still into ponzi. If I still remembered correctly, it was MMM-GLOBAL that I lost so much money on then. It was a ponzi scheme set up by Sergei Mavrodi who died recently few months.

Then I actually didn't know it was a ponzi scheme until recently I read a review about both MMM-GLOBAL and MMM-RETURNS. It was such a crazy time in my life back then.
He scammed over 10,000 investors out of more than 110 million rubles, then he dies of a heart attack at the age of 62, and more than likely, he was assassinated or he died from all the stress that comes with ripping people off time, and time again. Does a scammer really need this kind of money in order to retire anywhere around the world, no. This dude could have quit at one million rubles, and could have had a fairly comfortable life in India or another country where the cost of living may not be all that high, however, I do not think he did this for money, he did it because it was fun to rip people off then throw it into faces at a later time, but he did spend 4 years in prison or labor camp, if he was in the US, he would have gotten life.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Mavrodi

Credits

Maybe he died because of bad karma. He has stolen a lot of money from those who believed in his scheme and he paid for it with his life. I was also a victim of a Ponzi scheme once and it was a good lesson and now I avoid them like the plague.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Maybe he died because of bad karma. He has stolen a lot of money from those who believed in his scheme and he paid for it with his life. I was also a victim of a Ponzi scheme once and it was a good lesson and now I avoid them like the plague.
So since he died, where is all that money now? if I remember correctly, I think he was married, so someone is still probably benefiting, and whoever has the money is most likely not willing to return the money to the victims of his scams, which means someone is living the life of luxury, maybe his wife. If you ask me, then I think his govt should have seized the money, and return what is left to everyone he ripped off over his scamming career.

Heatman

Credits
You know if I'm being honest, I really don't think that Sergi Mavrodi actually had anyone's money directly because from my understanding of how the system works unless I was mistaken and misinformed, it's an automated matching system that randomly matches anyone who request to offer help by providing fund to someone who has already paid another who paid someone else in the system.

I don't think that anyone paid Sergi Marvodi in his account because personally I wasn't matched to pay him. This makes me wonder how he actually stole all the money which are rumored to have been stolen by him?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
You know if I'm being honest, I really don't think that Sergi Mavrodi actually had anyone's money directly because from my understanding of how the system works unless I was mistaken and misinformed, it's an automated matching system that randomly matches anyone who request to offer help by providing fund to someone who has already paid another who paid someone else in the system.

I don't think that anyone paid Sergi Marvodi in his account because personally I wasn't matched to pay him. This makes me wonder how he actually stole all the money which are rumored to have been stolen by him?
If he was not paid directly, then he would have had to launder the money, and since he was considered to be a mastermind scammer, then I guess it would not have been difficult for him to funnel money through trusted accounts that have not been flagged, however, I am just guessing, I have not done enough research on this person, even though it is intriguing, it just does not interest me to investigate anymore then I have already, but one thing is for sure, people got scammed, he got blamed, and someone got the money, directly or indirectly, and the rest is history as he will not be scamming any more people.

KellyGeo

Credits
From my experience and observation, most scam sites would offer you incredible deals that wouldn't be anywhere near what you are asked to invest in the site project. You can see lots of this with ponzi sites. This is one of the ways I root out scam sites.

Credits
So since he died, where is all that money now? if I remember correctly, I think he was married, so someone is still probably benefiting, and whoever has the money is most likely not willing to return the money to the victims of his scams, which means someone is living the life of luxury, maybe his wife. If you ask me, then I think his govt should have seized the money, and return what is left to everyone he ripped off over his scamming career.
I agree. Noone should be benefiting from the money he stole from other people. I hope the people have enough proof and that those that have the power to retrieve the money should take some action. It didn't cross my mind that his family members can also benefit from his bad acts and I thought his death was the end of it.

Hova

Credits
Scams lately have started becoming harder to spot because some have look like the real deal unlike in the old days where you could spot the from a far. I would suggest using Google because Google does its best to label phishing and malware sites and go an extra mile to do your own research.

Credits
Scams lately have started becoming harder to spot because some have look like the real deal unlike in the old days where you could spot the from a far. I would suggest using Google because Google does its best to label phishing and malware sites and go an extra mile to do your own research.
Yup. There was a time where you can easily spot a non-legitimate website by looking at its design or user interface. Now, it's really harder because scam websites are trying their best to copy the design of legitimate websites. Although sometimes you can still spot some wrong English grammars on their site. We'll have to rely on review sites before investing time and money.

Hova

Credits
Yup. There was a time where you can easily spot a non-legitimate website by looking at its design or user interface. Now, it's really harder because scam websites are trying their best to copy the design of legitimate websites. Although sometimes you can still spot some wrong English grammars on their site. We'll have to rely on review sites before investing time and money.
Also make sure when you are running a search for a website/company to include words like; review, complaint or scam.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I can not wait until the site really gets off the ground as I would like to see the scam review categories fill up as it would be interesting to see what sites are scamming who, and when someone has been scammed, then they will be looking for a site in order to get get the word out, and since our site is expected to have high authority in the future, then those scam reviews that people post will no doubt rank high in all search engines.

Heatman

Credits
If he was not paid directly, then he would have had to launder the money, and since he was considered to be a mastermind scammer, then I guess it would not have been difficult for him to funnel money through trusted accounts that have not been flagged, however, I am just guessing, I have not done enough research on this person, even though it is intriguing, it just does not interest me to investigate anymore then I have already, but one thing is for sure, people got scammed, he got blamed, and someone got the money, directly or indirectly, and the rest is history as he will not be scamming any more people.
Yes, you are very correct with that assessment. There is every possibility of having used a trusted set up account ran by another person to funnel the funds. There is absolutely nothing off the table of scammers when it comes to cooking up strategies to steal from people. I think that if Sergi Mavrodi had actually being involved in the rip-off, then I would conclude that he is one hell of a great thief with a mastermind plan because millions of people got scammed, I was among those unfortunate ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Yes, you are very correct with that assessment. There is every possibility of having used a trusted set up account ran by another person to funnel the funds. There is absolutely nothing off the table of scammers when it comes to cooking up strategies to steal from people. I think that if Sergi Mavrodi had actually being involved in the rip-off, then I would conclude that he is one hell of a great thief with a mastermind plan because millions of people got scammed, I was among those unfortunate ones.
I am pretty sure he was the mastermind, otherwise, he would not have been listed as the mastermind of his schemes, however, I find his death to be more suspicious, unless his heart attack was brought on by using drugs, but I am pretty confident that he is the mastermind people are saying he was.

Heatman

Credits
I am pretty sure he was the mastermind, otherwise, he would not have been listed as the mastermind of his schemes, however, I find his death to be more suspicious, unless his heart attack was brought on by using drugs, but I am pretty confident that he is the mastermind people are saying he was.
Over here in Nigeria, people were linking his death to be as a result of prayers made against him, so justice took its course on their behalf. But I think that it's not really what happened. Anyone can suffer and die from heart attack. There is no way of knowing when it would come or not, and if one is unfortunately, he or she would die in the process.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Over here in Nigeria, people were linking his death to be as a result of prayers made against him, so justice took its course on their behalf. But I think that it's not really what happened. Anyone can suffer and die from heart attack. There is no way of knowing when it would come or not, and if one is unfortunately, he or she would die in the process.
Only if that happened to all scammers, however, it does not work that way, and karma is a bitch, and maybe it was just his time, and I would not mind knowing what happened to all the money that he was accused of taking, was it returned to the victims, or did the spouse keep all the money.

Chidiuzo

Credits
From personal experience at least I have been scammed twice,scam sites come with very juicy deals that one can't resist and the payout is always very high and to bring in more people to be scammed, they offer very mouth watering amount for bringing in referrals. The site don't last for long too.

Chidiuzo

Credits
From personal experience at least I have been scammed twice,scam sites come with very juicy deals that one can't resist and the payout is always very high and to bring in more people to be scammed, they offer very mouth watering amount for bringing in referrals. The site don't last for long too.