The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 36 more

How to Keep Readers on Your Blog Longer.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Rate Post
5.00 star(s)
If you are a blog owner, you have set the goal of getting as many people as possible reading your blog. Now that you are reaching that goal you will also want to start keeping your readers on your blog for as long as possible. Here are several things that you can do to accomplish this so that you have more success with running your blog.

Get Rid of Distractions

People can often get distracted and turn their attention to other things if there is too much going on with a blog. This means that you do not want to have your blog too cluttered if you want people to stay on it longer. So limit the amount of content that you share on each page of your blog to reduce the amount of distraction. Be sure to focus on the niche at hand, as it can be very easy to write about content that is not even related.

Reduce the Number of Outbound Links

Outbound links are a great way to link to other bloggers however you should limit the number of outbound links that you have on your blog. This is because you do not want to lead people away from the content that you are creating. Keeping this in mind will help you keep readers on your blog longer. Google also wants to see on-page SEO, and this means outlinking to authority sites that are in the same niche as you are, and do not forget to link to related blogs posts that are related to your topic, so you do not have to spam your blog content with 100 outbound links when a few high authority links will serve their purpose.

Add More Content to the Homepage of Your Blog

If you want people to spend more time on your blog, you need to put more content on the homepage of your blog. This means that you need to go to full-length posts and not simply excerpts. Just be sure not to overload your homepage with different types of content as that can turn people off from staying on your blog, however, your blog posts should be long; 500-1000 words used to be the norm, however, Google is simply expecting more and more, as 500-1000 words can make for a decent summary, and case studies have shown that long articles get far more love from google then 500 word articles; One of the last articles that DG posts on DG Blog had 5,000 words in the article. Google is not expecting less, they demand more.

Getting people to stay on your blog longer can seem tricky although if you put the work into successfully making sure that they do, then you will see that your blog will be a lot more successful, and we think it may be a good idea to put a couple of strong videos on your homepage so visitors will stay longer by watching those videos, and there are other tricks you can do to keep visitors on the page longer, now is the time to do more research.

Last edited:

KellyGeo

Credits
Content is very important to the good of any site and not just blog only. It's what would actually offer people the need to stay longer on the blog because the information contained on these contents is likely serving one purpose for the readers. When there are few contents on a blog, it would limit the extent of discussion that would go on in the platform which directly affects the traffic generated by the site and the status of its Google ranking.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Content is very important to the good of any site and not just blog only. It's what would actually offer people the need to stay longer on the blog because the information contained on these contents is likely serving one purpose for the readers. When there are few contents on a blog, it would limit the extent of discussion that would go on in the platform which directly affects the traffic generated by the site and the status of its Google ranking.
Believe it or not, content and backlinks is not the highest ranking factor. Even if a visitor comes to DG Forum, and just goes from page to page looking at content, this will tell Google that visitors are engaging with our forum, even if they do not signup and write content. If someone doesn't signup and post, then that is fine, and if I ask anything, then I would just ask visitors to go from one page to another reading content. You can have a site without content and still succeed, but you have to have something to replace content, and that is traffic/visitor engagement. After the internet created, you have to remember that blogs, forums, and content creation did not come around after the fact, so it is possible to succeed if your site can engage others. The biggest key to success is not content or backlinks, it is both with the combination of user engagement. If you have great content, and great backlinks, and no user engagement, then you will not go very far in the eyes of Google, why? Google loves engagement more than anything else.

Heatman

Credits
Believe it or not, content and backlinks is not the highest ranking factor. Even if a visitor comes to DG Forum, and just goes from page to page looking at content, this will tell Google that visitors are engaging with our forum, even if they do not signup and write content. If someone doesn't signup and post, then that is fine, and if I ask anything, then I would just ask visitors to go from one page to another reading content. You can have a site without content and still succeed, but you have to have something to replace content, and that is traffic/visitor engagement. After the internet created, you have to remember that blogs, forums, and content creation did not come around after the fact, so it is possible to succeed if your site can engage others. The biggest key to success is not content or backlinks, it is both with the combination of user engagement. If you have great content, and great backlinks, and no user engagement, then you will not go very far in the eyes of Google, why? Google loves engagement more than anything else.
So what you are trying to say is that as much as content and backlinks are essential in a site but once there is no form of engagement between the members of the community, Google Is likely to look past it.

Content and backlinks are possibly going to get members to the site but getting them to be engaging in discussion on the community is very important. It's good to know this, I'm going to keep this information in mind.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
So what you are trying to say is that as much as content and backlinks are essential in a site but once there is no form of engagement between the members of the community, Google Is likely to look past it.

Content and backlinks are possibly going to get members to the site but getting them to be engaging in discussion on the community is very important. It's good to know this, I'm going to keep this information in mind.
You can have good backlinks, and content, however, if your website looks like crap, then visitors may not engage with the site, so backlinks, and content does not mean very much if visitors are bouncing off the site within seconds of arriving, as this is a signal to google that says something is wrong, and if Google thinks something is wrong with the site, then this can have a negative effect on rankings; As a site owner, you need all of google factors in your favor, and if one factor is not in your favor then google can just as easily run your site into the ground, and this would not be good.

Heatman

Credits
You can have good backlinks, and content, however, if your website looks like crap, then visitors may not engage with the site, so backlinks, and content does not mean very much if visitors are bouncing off the site within seconds of arriving, as this is a signal to google that says something is wrong, and if Google thinks something is wrong with the site, then this can have a negative effect on rankings; As a site owner, you need all of google factors in your favor, and if one factor is not in your favor then google can just as easily run your site into the ground, and this would not be good.
What you said is 100% correct and on point @DGStaff , it's embarrassing for a site to members or visitors that aren't loyal to the site, and a good or high quality content is only useful when people engage in discussion with it which ought to generate traffic for the site. One thing is getting visitors to frequent one's site but another thing is to get them to stay and contribute to the site by engaging in discussions and adding to the content on the site.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
What you said is 100% correct and on point @DGStaff , it's embarrassing for a site to members or visitors that aren't loyal to the site, and a good or high quality content is only useful when people engage in discussion with it which ought to generate traffic for the site. One thing is getting visitors to frequent one's site but another thing is to get them to stay and contribute to the site by engaging in discussions and adding to the content on the site.
I am hoping that DG will work on the custom theme next. I know this theme is ok, however, this is not the best theme I have ever seen, and I am not a fan of dark themes as it appears dark and gloomy, and more on of a depression, and I would rather see something that is more attractive, colorful, and something that would appeal to others, and I do not think this is the theme. A bad theme can also keep a site from going anywhere, and this really depends how traffic perceives the site overall, so if the site appears dark and gloomy, then I am not sure how the forum would attract anyone.

Heatman

Credits
I am hoping that DG will work on the custom theme next. I know this theme is ok, however, this is not the best theme I have ever seen, and I am not a fan of dark themes as it appears dark and gloomy, and more on of a depression, and I would rather see something that is more attractive, colorful, and something that would appeal to others, and I do not think this is the theme. A bad theme can also keep a site from going anywhere, and this really depends how traffic perceives the site overall, so if the site appears dark and gloomy, then I am not sure how the forum would attract anyone.
Our individual differences have a good impact when it comes to our preferences with colors. Maybe DG favors dark theme over light ones because I believe that the former theme before this one was more light and bright. Personally, I love this theme because it's not hurting to the eyes. One issue that I have with bright themes is that the light reflection affects my sight when I stay on the site for too long.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Our individual differences have a good impact when it comes to our preferences with colors. Maybe DG favors dark theme over light ones because I believe that the former theme before this one was more light and bright. Personally, I love this theme because it's not hurting to the eyes. One issue that I have with bright themes is that the light reflection affects my sight when I stay on the site for too long.
no, that is not the case, DG picked the dark theme because there are only a limited number of themes for XF, and he picked one that he thought was better than others that appeared to be lower in quality, and he only got this as a stop off, so a custom lighter theme is certainly in the future. I have already seen the blueprints to the custom theme, and I strongly feel that everyone who sees the theme will most likely love it, however, you know how it goes, no matter how great something turns out to be, there will always be those that will say that they simply do not like the theme.

Heatman

Credits
".... no matter how great something turns out to be, there will always be those that will say that they simply do not like the theme..."

This still goes in support with what I'm asking about our individual differences having a say on our preferences when it comes to choices. Some people literally are in love with dark themes while other people are more into light theme. So therefore, I would generalize by saying that it's more important to go for a theme that would better the forum entirely.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
".... no matter how great something turns out to be, there will always be those that will say that they simply do not like the theme..."

This still goes in support with what I'm asking about our individual differences having a say on our preferences when it comes to choices. Some people literally are in love with dark themes while other people are more into light theme. So therefore, I would generalize by saying that it's more important to go for a theme that would better the forum entirely.
I think you will like the custom theme DG is choosing to go with, and if not, then that is fine also. The dark theme is here to stay, so if people do not like the default theme, custom theme, then they can choose the dark theme. DG continues to look for decent themes on XF, however, there is not a lot of themes to choose from, and what few XF themes are available on the market, well, most of them are just plain ugly as I have seen some of them myself, so just hang in there, once the custom theme comes out, then I would switch to that one immediately, and personally would use no other.

Heatman

Credits
I think you will like the custom theme DG is choosing to go with, and if not, then that is fine also. The dark theme is here to stay, so if people do not like the default theme, custom theme, then they can choose the dark theme. DG continues to look for decent themes on XF, however, there is not a lot of themes to choose from, and what few XF themes are available on the market, well, most of them are just plain ugly as I have seen some of them myself, so just hang in there, once the custom theme comes out, then I would switch to that one immediately, and personally would use no other.
Personally, if you ask me I think this one is good enough and there is no need for him to keep looking for new custom themes but if there is possibility of getting another custom theme to him that is going to be more better then I see nothing wrong with it, I would like it as well if it's good.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Personally, if you ask me I think this one is good enough and there is no need for him to keep looking for new custom themes but if there is possibility of getting another custom theme to him that is going to be more better then I see nothing wrong with it, I would like it as well if it's good.
to be honest, I do not consider this a professional grade theme. If 50% of visitors like the theme, and the other 50% do not like the theme, then that means the theme is not good, however, if 90% of the visitors like a theme, then I would say it would be the theme to have. We are not here to split up themes so one group uses this theme, and the other group uses that theme, if that is the case, then we would not be doing something right, and a custom-made theme will also boost the level of trust, since it will be a custom theme and not a theme that just anyone can buy on the theme market, and yes, I would say the custom theme would be far superior to this theme, and a custom theme has always been on the table among other things.

Heatman

Credits
to be honest, I do not consider this a professional grade theme. If 50% of visitors like the theme, and the other 50% do not like the theme, then that means the theme is not good, however, if 90% of the visitors like a theme, then I would say it would be the theme to have. We are not here to split up themes so one group uses this theme, and the other group uses that theme, if that is the case, then we would not be doing something right, and a custom-made theme will also boost the level of trust, since it will be a custom theme and not a theme that just anyone can buy on the theme market, and yes, I would say the custom theme would be far superior to this theme, and a custom theme has always been on the table among other things.
Maybe you should create a thread poll for the members to vote on whether they prefer the theme or not. Although the only problem that might mar the vote is the number members who would cast their vote. We have few active members on the forum, so the vote might not reflect a popular choice. Maybe when we get at least between 15-30 members, then it should be worth trying out.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Maybe you should create a thread poll for the members to vote on whether they prefer the theme or not. Although the only problem that might mar the vote is the number members who would cast their vote. We have few active members on the forum, so the vote might not reflect a popular choice. Maybe when we get at least between 15-30 members, then it should be worth trying out.
I think a poll was already set up, however, I do not think anyone made any votes, forum members can also post in the suggestion area of the forum, and even set up their own polls, and you are right, we need more traffic, and people voting to know exactly what people are looking for, and keeping to yourself does not really help the forum grow, and if people expect the forum to grow, then they need to get involved, however, no need speaking up when changes have been done, and you do not like them, ROFL. Be active, get involved, make suggestions, create polls, and vote on polls.

Heatman

Credits
I think a poll was already set up, however, I do not think anyone made any votes, forum members can also post in the suggestion area of the forum, and even set up their own polls, and you are right, we need more traffic, and people voting to know exactly what people are looking for, and keeping to yourself does not really help the forum grow, and if people expect the forum to grow, then they need to get involved, however, no need speaking up when changes have been done, and you do not like them, ROFL. Be active, get involved, make suggestions, create polls, and vote on polls.
Are you being serious that a poll was created about this? If it was, then I must have missed it, otherwise I would have definitely given my own vote because I believe it matters a lot. Not expressing one's opinions and expect any changes wouldn't be feasible because it's from people's opinions that a change would be initiated to give the best to the people. I believe that with time, we are certainly going to get the traffic that we desire with new members coming in but until then, we would have to deal with what we have at hand for now.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Are you being serious that a poll was created about this? If it was, then I must have missed it, otherwise I would have definitely given my own vote because I believe it matters a lot. Not expressing one's opinions and expect any changes wouldn't be feasible because it's from people's opinions that a change would be initiated to give the best to the people. I believe that with time, we are certainly going to get the traffic that we desire with new members coming in but until then, we would have to deal with what we have at hand for now.
my bad, I had to go look, and it looks like I setup one poll on adding the media add-on, however, DG already decided to add to get the addon, however, forum members can make any suggestions they would like to see, and have other members vote to see how popular their suggestion would be.

Heatman

Credits
my bad, I had to go look, and it looks like I setup one poll on adding the media add-on, however, DG already decided to add to get the addon, however, forum members can make any suggestions they would like to see, and have other members vote to see how popular their suggestion would be.
Alright, that's good to know. I would probably check out the media add-on which you added or possibly the one DG created. And about using the suggestion box, I will use it when I have something which I would consider to be of good advantage to the forum then I will suggest it. Let's keep going and see how things pans out.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Alright, that's good to know. I would probably check out the media add-on which you added or possibly the one DG created. And about using the suggestion box, I will use it when I have something which I would consider to be of good advantage to the forum then I will suggest it. Let's keep going and see how things pans out.
I can not wait to get past the initial stages of setting up a website, and hopefully when visitors start seeing the forum start taking shape, then maybe more people will signup to the forum, and once it gets going, then it should turn into some type of snowball effect, and keep growing from there.

KellyGeo

Credits
I can not wait to get past the initial stages of setting up a website, and hopefully when visitors start seeing the forum start taking shape, then maybe more people will signup to the forum, and once it gets going, then it should turn into some type of snowball effect, and keep growing from there.
Exactly, the beginning is the most difficult time in website running and management, it takes so much time and effort as well as resources to put it in a good shape to be able to achieve your desired goals and objectives for setting your website up. But I believe that time is the most important thing that would determine how far the efforts dished into bringing up the site to speed. We are trying as much as we could, so without giving up, we are definitely going to get there sooner or later.

Last edited by a moderator: