This guide will serve as a beginners summary to making money online. There are well over a hundred ways to legitimately make money online (MMO). From freelance work to playing your favorite online games, there are nearly endless ways to earn money on the internet.
Ways to Make Money Online
I’ll explain the most common ways to start earning money online. Some of these methods don’t require anything upfront except your time and expertise.
- Freelance: This is how most people start making money online. If you have skills in writing, coding, programming, design or video creation, you’ll find lots of work.
- Sell Your Own Product: Do you have a product or brick and mortar business that you want to take online? Depending on the product, you could reach millions of potential customers. Alternatively, you could earn money selling other people’s products through affiliate marketing.
- Build Websites: With CMS platforms like WordPress, cheap hosting and a wealth of guides to help newcomers, building websites is more popular than ever. You can build traffic and eventually monetize your websites, although this is a long-term plan. Alternatively, you can build websites to flip if you want a quicker return.
- Dropshipping / eCommerce: Two popular ways to make money is to dropship or sell products you have in stock on a website or platform like Ebay.
- Online Teaching: Are you an expert on a topic? It could be anything. There are a growing number of online education portals where an individual or company can create a massive open online course (MOOC) to sell to eager students.
We’ll explain more ways to make money online on our forum, but these popular methods are enough for you to get busy; Freelance work can help build up income before you attempt building your own website or product, as those methods take time to develop.
How to Find Freelance Work Online
Have you decided to earn your first dollar online by working freelance? We recommend using freelance job marketplaces such as UpWork initially. Webmaster forums can be a source of jobs too. LinkedIn is a great source for finding online work too. Lastly, I recommend Fiverr, a marketplace with thousands of gigs ranging from songwriting to digital marketing to translations. There is no shortage of online jobs, but the competition fighting for those jobs is fierce. Thousands of people have realized working from home is in many cases better than working a regular 9-5 job. The freedom and potential for a great income are both attractive perks.
How to Get Paid Online
Making money online is great, but you need a way to accept it quickly. Almost everyone that works online has a PayPal account. If your country is unable to use PayPal, which is rare, you can use Neteller or Skrill, two other popular e-wallets to send/receive money.
Many affiliate programs will also play through check or bank wire. However, if you work freelance you’ll need an e-wallet, as most customers pay through PayPal.
Practical Tips for Working Online
- Procrastination: It’s easy to procrastinate and not get any work completed when you’re at home watching TV or browsing social media websites like Facebook. It’s important to identify what needs to be done and ensure it gets completed.
- Have A Schedule: Enforce a strict schedule. Set time to work, but also make sure you have time to spend with the family, workout, eat and everything else you need to do in a day. It’s easy to become unproductive when working too long.
- Network: It’s important to constantly build connections in this industry. The more people you know, the easier it is to get things done. If you freelance, building up your client list is important, as it’s rare one client will require all of your time.
Continue reading through our forum to learn way more about making money online. We have lots of detailed guides and educational threads to help you on your journey.
Last edited by a moderator: