The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 38 more

Investing in the US Stock Market

NoviceNinja

Credits
For quite some time now, I am earning a decent amount from doing online work. I am not American nor is from the United States but I am interested in investing in the US stock market. I think it is the best place to spend your money in since everything is in the dollar currency. I think now is the perfect time for me to try it because of the exchange rate that we have. I am not interested in FOREX, and I don't like how it works.

By saying that, I would like to ask. Is it possible for someone not living in the US to buy stocks or shares in the US Stock Market? Are there websites, apps or platforms which allow non-US citizens to open up a brokerage account and start trading online?

Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

KellyGeo

Credits
I have heard about both stock market and Forex but I don't have any personal experience with with avenues for investment. I just have the knowledge of buying and selling stock to make profit but I have not a single clue as to how it's done or how the profits are made while trading in stock market. I actually tried out learning about Forex trading but it was very complicated for me to understand, so I opt not to have anything to do with both Forex trading and Stock market. It's better not to go into what you don't have knowledge on because should things go wrong, you will be the only one to be blamed for not understanding it and still invested money in the project.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
For quite some time now, I am earning a decent amount from doing online work. I am not American nor is from the United States but I am interested in investing in the US stock market. I think it is the best place to spend your money in since everything is in the dollar currency. I think now is the perfect time for me to try it because of the exchange rate that we have. I am not interested in FOREX, and I don't like how it works.

By saying that, I would like to ask. Is it possible for someone not living in the US to buy stocks or shares in the US Stock Market? Are there websites, apps or platforms which allow non-US citizens to open up a brokerage account and start trading online?

Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
US has very strict laws when it comes to US Banking.

Here are some basic rules:

1. You need be a US Citizen
2. You must have a Social Security number
3. You have to have a physical address
4. You have to show up in person to sign papers

I am not going to say it is impossible, however, I am not up-to-date on exactly what is allowed, what is not allowed, and/or what you can get away with, and I am just going to assume that brokerage firms will follow similar US Bank laws also, and if this is something you are going to pursue, then it is best just to contact a brokeage firm, and wait for their response as they will be able to inform you better then I can, however, I suspect they will tell give you similar guidelines.

and I will even say this, @DigitalGlobal went to a Wells Fargo bank a few months back and tried to wire money to another country, and Wells Fargo declined to do this, then DG inquired about opening up a Wells Fargo bank account, and Wells Fargo told a US citizen with clean money that they preferred not to do business with him, really? Ironic coming from a bank accused of bank fraud by opening up fake Wells Fargo accounts. Wells Fargo made bad business decisions back then, and they obviously make bad business decisions today, maybe DG will tell you the full story some day...

NoviceNinja

Credits
If that's the case, then my chances of investing in it would seem like a dream, LOL. I wonder, how come those apps like STASH says it can be done. My only concern with that app was it is asking me to pay $20, or something like that upfront to use the service which I declined only because I still don't know if it will be beneficial for me or not.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
If that's the case, then my chances of investing in it would seem like a dream, LOL. I wonder, how come those apps like STASH says it can be done. My only concern with that app was it is asking me to pay $20, or something like that upfront to use the service which I declined only because I still don't know if it will be beneficial for me or not.
The stock market is nothing more than a playground for the rich, and unless you have huge amounts of money to invest, then I doubt you would find the stock market very useful, and I highly doubt it would pay off with small amounts of money, remember, anytime you invest, you end up paying administration and management fees. If I were rich, and I knew what I was doing, then I may dabble in the stock market, and if you are looking for money fast, then I would not consider the stock market at all, and I would find other alternatives that may be able to offer quicker dividends/income.

Heatman

Credits
I have a friend who lives in US and from our discussion so far about banking and stock market, he made me understand that stock market is something worth getting into if you have the knowledge of how it works. It's not something that you would wake up one day and jump into, if you do that you are most likely to regret such actions. Over here in my country, I haven't really invested in the stock market but I have bought a few company bonds which I still have at the moment, should I get more money, I would definitely consider buying more.

NoviceNinja

Credits
Please allow me to share a story. For the sake of consistency and relatability, let me use the dollar currency. Well, here it goes.

I know someone who bought 100,000 shares of a company worth at $1 par value when he was still young. He never really monitored stock prices online or in the news, he just held on to it as time goes by. 25 years later, the stock price of his shares plays around the amount of $60 - $70 per share.

Now if we do the math, 100,000 shares x $65 = $6,500,000

He is now 64 years old and has a ton of money for retirement. The funny thing is that his children don't know that he has this substantial amount of investment. When they found out, they suddenly realized that they were rich all along. Smart man.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I have a friend who lives in US and from our discussion so far about banking and stock market, he made me understand that stock market is something worth getting into if you have the knowledge of how it works. It's not something that you would wake up one day and jump into, if you do that you are most likely to regret such actions. Over here in my country, I haven't really invested in the stock market but I have bought a few company bonds which I still have at the moment, should I get more money, I would definitely consider buying more.
US Bonds do not pay that much either, for every $1,000 in US Bonds you buy, then you will earn $27.50 per year for every $1,000, even if you purchased $50,000 in US Bonds, then you would only earn around $1,300 per year, and do you really think bonds is worth it for so little in return, however, if you had a million dollars or more just sitting around, and you wanted to make a safe investment, then US Bonds may do something for you.

Heatman

Credits
US Bonds do not pay that much either, for every $1,000 in US Bonds you buy, then you will earn $27.50 per year for every $1,000, even if you purchased $50,000 in US Bonds, then you would only earn around $1,300 per year, and do you really think bonds is worth it for so little in return, however, if you had a million dollars or more just sitting around, and you wanted to make a safe investment, then US Bonds may do something for you.
Exactly, the thing with bonds is that you have secured investments and don't need to worry about your money going south but it doesn't pay much if you only have small fund invested in it. But just under speculation, should I have a million dollar, I don't think that I would be putting it all into bond investment because there are far more paying investments that can yield more money both on short term and long term.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Exactly, the thing with bonds is that you have secured investments and don't need to worry about your money going south but it doesn't pay much if you only have small fund invested in it. But just under speculation, should I have a million dollar, I don't think that I would be putting it all into bond investment because there are far more paying investments that can yield more money both on short term and long term.
The US guarantees your money via FDIC funds, however, how can a government guarantee any funds when they are $20 trillion dollars in debt according to a 2017 financial report, and for the most part, the US govt pays more interest than the debt itself, and if you pay only the interest on the debt, then the debt you carry will never get paid off, and no entity is immune from a financial disaster, and $20 trillion in debt is a disaster.
https://www.usnews.com/news/economy...national-debt-debt-ceiling-and-budget-deficit

Heatman

Credits
The US guarantees your money via FDIC funds, however, how can a government guarantee any funds when they are $20 trillion dollars in debt according to a 2017 financial report, and for the most part, the US govt pays more interest than the debt itself, and if you pay only the interest on the debt, then the debt you carry will never get paid off, and no entity is immune from a financial disaster, and $20 trillion in debt is a disaster.
https://www.usnews.com/news/economy...national-debt-debt-ceiling-and-budget-deficit
Well, US is still trying to pay its debts interest and have its citizens enjoy good living and I don't think that they borrow loans like most African countries but my country Nigeria is still trying as well to pay off its debt. The summation of Nigeria's external and domestic debts was around $44 billion, even though in April 2006, they managed to be the first African country to pay off its debt owed to the Paris club.

NoviceNinja

Credits
Well, US is still trying to pay its debts interest and have its citizens enjoy good living and I don't think that they borrow loans like most African countries but my country Nigeria is still trying as well to pay off its debt. The summation of Nigeria's external and domestic debts was around $44 billion, even though in April 2006, they managed to be the first African country to pay off its debt owed to the Paris club.
The US will never be in debt because of the US Federal Reserve. If the US needs money to pay off its debts, all it has to do is print more money. What they tell you in the news is a lie. The US dollar is the primary currency used by countries all over the world during international transactions and is the basis of a lot of foreign exchanges. I am no expert economist, but that's how I see it.

Heatman

Credits
The US will never be in debt because of the US Federal Reserve. If the US needs money to pay off its debts, all it has to do is print more money. What they tell you in the news is a lie. The US dollar is the primary currency used by countries all over the world during international transactions and is the basis of a lot of foreign exchanges. I am no expert economist, but that's how I see it.
Well, the truth is that we are all never going to have the whole truth as to what is going on with the financial situation of US and every other countries in the world. We only know what we are informed either through the mass media or press release. It's only if you are in the system that you might be able to have full details of how things are and that's if you have the level clearance to have such information.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
It does not work that way, if it did, then the US would just print $20 trillion dollars in new bills, then pay off its debt, and if you really believe there is any gold in Fort Knox, then I would like to sell you the golden state bridge; Have you seen any proof that there is still gold in Fort Knox. The US is in debt, and the way the US pisses money into the wind, then the US will just pass its debt to the next generation, and maybe the generation after. The US does not know how to spend money, and they certainly do not know how to manage money because they give money away with the exception of Amercian citizens, however, if you are a dictator in another country, then you can get free money just by being a friend to the US.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
It does not work that way, if it did, then the US would just print $20 trillion dollars in new bills, then pay off its debt, and if you really believe there is any gold in Fort Knox, then I would like to sell you the golden state bridge; Have you seen any proof that there is still gold in Fort Knox. The US is in debt, and the way the US pisses money into the wind, then the US will just pass its debt to the next generation, and maybe the generation after. The US does not know how to spend money, and they certainly do not know how to manage money because they give money away with the exception of Amercian citizens, however, if you are a dictator in another country, then you can get free money just by being a friend to the US.

The US Govt loves giving money away....
mostly, for all the wrong reasons.

NoviceNinja

Credits
The US Govt loves giving money away....
mostly, for all the wrong reasons.
Exactly my point. Would a sane country give some of its money away if the state worked hard for it? Unless, there is something we don't know what happens behind the closed doors of the White House, haha. I don't really know where I am going with this. :) I'm sorry.

Heatman

Credits
This is very correct, there is no country that is free 100% from being in debt, and not even the almighty world power USA. With lots of aid the United States of America government gives to other countries who they have interest in one thing or another would definitely take its toll on thy country's finances, even though the US government doesn't do any free favors, they always have an agenda in any aid that they are giving to other countries.