The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 38 more

[ DG ] Is Google Killing Forums On Purpose?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Rate Post
5.00 star(s)
Is Google Killing Forums?

Deliberately!!!

As you know, forums have been in decline over the last few years, and I know everyone thinks the same thing when it comes to the very good questions when it comes to the survival of forums, and everyone has those same questions. Is technology killing my forum? Is social media killing my forum? Am I killing my own forum? All this started after social media hit the market years ago, and this is when the complaints really got started concerning forums.

I was reading an interesting post yesterday on a webmaster forum, and the post was made back in 2013, and I saw a number of webmasters that joined this conversation, and some of them were claiming to have 100s of thousands of posts, and they were reporting that their forums, in short, was dying, and I saw one report after another saying how their forum traffic was down, and their forum income was down, and forum income is related to traffic, and as you know, without traffic, your site is dead.

I read one post from a user that said he spent 100s of hours trying to figure out why his forum was dying and made all sorts of changes like doing better SEO, deleting spam posts, cleaned up the forum, and so on, and he went on to say that nothing he had tried worked, and his forum was dying, then he made a shocking comment that I never really even considered, Is Google Killing My Forum Deliberately? and is that really shocking to hear? I have heard that Google has killed "businesses" that were making a lot of money one day, and zero income the next day, so yes, Google can kill your business overnight, however, these sites that I am referring too were using bad SEO practices, and were violating Google guidelines, and if you do this, then Google will simply wipe your site out of existence, and your site will no longer receive traffic.

Now that we have established that Google can kill your site, but why would google kill once popular webmaster/technology sites were at the height of traffic? Were the site owners into shady SEO practices that they should not have been doing? I do not think so because all of their stories were showing some type of pattern that their niche may have been in decline, and this could have been a result of on-going factors such as social media, and other sites that were moving forward, while other sites were going down the toilet for no apparent reason, and they were doing down the drain really fast, and one such was mentioned in another post, and that site was once a popular freelance site called TalkFreelance, now this particular site is nothing more than a ghost town, why? So how can a forum have 566,000+ posts and be completely dead? What killed TalkFreelance? Was it the owners? Social media, or may other actual "freelancer" sites, and who wants to talk about freelance on an outdated platform when they can actually go to a freelancer site, and get what they need done, no matter the reason, TalkFreelance.com is dead as a ghost town.

The moral of this entire story is that your site can die due to numerous reasons! and you could very well spend 100s of hours on your site trying to figure out what you did wrong to send google running the other way, and may be you did nothing wrong, and most people may not consider that a niche may not last forever, and at some point will start going into decline as with the above webmaster forums that were listed above, and I do not think people are into webmaster forums like they have been in the past, and I think they were in decline 2013 because the niche was simply in decline.

Summary: Google will ultimately decide if your site is going to make it on the internet, and you very well could be doing everything right; Do you remember the days of article directories and link directories? They used to be very popular, today, not so much, why? Have you ever considered that Google may not have a big interest with forums any more? Google knows that forums have been in decline, so why push forums to the top of search engines when they have been in decline? Maybe Google is just running forums out of town on purpose!!! Maybe Google is taking traffic away from forums, and sending this traffic to google related sites in order to serve their own interests!!!

Did Google kill these sites on purpose? Not very likely unless all of these sites were violating google guidelines. I suspect the biggest reasons back in 2012-2013, etc was the fact that social media was coming out, and webmaster/technology sites were in decline, and traffic was leaving these sites to a degree that webmasters that they were doing something wrong. You could be doing everything right, and still lose traffic, why? If your niche is in decline, then there is nothing you can do about downward trends, why do you think Toys R Us has gone out of business? trends change, and once a market starts trending downward, then the first thing you will notice on your site is a decline in traffic, and this is assuming you were doing nothing wrong in order to violate google guidelines, as Google is fairly easy to get along with as long as you are not into shady business practices.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Jayson

Credits
I don't think it's always the case. For instance, see a certain math forum ranks for the competitive term "math help" even now. Anyway, can someone name more examples?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I don't think it's always the case. For instance, see a certain math forum ranks for the competitive term "math help" even now. Anyway, can someone name more examples?
normally I would agree, however, we are talking about sites that are already established, and should be ranking, then the site finds that Google is pulling back from the site, then the site ends up dying because the site is no longer getting the traffic they were getting 1-2 years prior. I read one story from a webmaster saying how he invest 100s of hours trying to find out why Google was killing his organic traffic, and he said his site was up several years, then all of a sudden, his traffic numbers were decreasing from one year to the next, so was there something wrong with his webmaster site, or did the niche trend just take a nose dive when all these social media sites started coming onto the market, and alot of websites were reporting similar stories.