The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 113 more

Learning with the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the younger people nowadays can’t even remember what life was like before the internet, because it has been around since at least the 1980’s, and longer for government uses, and some large businesses. Having a home computer has been a household item in many countries of the world and now we also all use smartphones and tablets. When you need to know about almost anything, all you have to do is “Google it”.

However, things did not use to be that way! I was part of the Baby Boomer generation, born after WW2, and when I was growing up back in the 1950’s, computers were the stuff of science fiction stories; People actually made a decent living by going door to door and selling families a set of encyclopedias to put on their bookshelves, and every school and library had extensive sets of encyclopedias and a dictionary that was about the size of a box of apples. It had every word known to man that was in the English language, and a full description of the usage and meaning of that word.

Having grown up with this system, I really appreciate (and enjoy) being able to learn almost anything on the internet. There are websites that cover almost any subject, youtube videos and tutorials from everything to planting your garden to repairing your vacuum cleaner when it gets clogged up; More and more, people are also taking college courses online, and we are probably not too far away from the times when children will be able to study from home with the use of the internet and a laptop or iPad.

I think that the potential for learning just about anything from the internet is tremendous, and it saddens me that a lot of people miss the possibility for this and just use their laptops and smartphones to play games with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Credits
Internet nowadays has become a huge part of our lives. Many people in today's generation are relying on the internet to do a lot of different tasks. Information is the biggest advantage internet is offering. It is a virtual treasure of information. Any kind of information on any topic is available on the Internet, and you can almost find any type of data on almost any kind of subject that you are looking for. In fact, wherever you go these days, you can see people holding some sort of gadgets and using the internet to play games or search things that they want. But of course, the internet is not just about entertainment. Many students are using the internet to do research and complete their assignments. Since the internet is full of information, most students use this as a source of education.

It is also very important when it comes to communication. Before, when people wanted to speak with someone who lives in a distant place, they would have to reach a phone and make a phone call. If they don’t have any access to a phone, they would write a letter, which usually takes a few days to arrive. But now, there are emails and social media, wherein you can instantly send messages to your loved ones.

Credits
I think internet has already become one of life's necessities nowadays because it made our world smaller, and it destroyed the cultural, geographical and even social boundaries that has separated different races before. Now kinds of information are available and understandable through online translations for everyone. This means for once mankind is one through the use of internet and social media.

maestro

Credits
The internet is like a drug to me if I'm being honest. I can't go a day without internet, I'm basically live online. It is unhealthy but there is nothing I can do at this point cause everything revolve around the net. Whenever I need more info on anything, Google is always the first place I go looking.

Heatman

Credits
One question which I normally ask whenever a topic regarding internet importance in our world today is if there is any aspect of human life and existence that isn't affected and influenced by the internet in both positive and negative ways? The answer to this question always comes to support that in our current situation and time, we simply can't live and survive without using the internet.

From education, trading, buying, and selling, marketing, industry, forecast, medicine, ICT, banking etc all have a touch of internet. Even leisure inform of online gaming is enabled through the use of the internet. Now the most trending prospect with use of the internet is in digital currency - cryptocurrency - bitcoin - Alt-Currency. With the way the internet is going, I'm pretty sure that one decade in the future, 90% of the world's activities would be carried out on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Credits
One question which I normally ask whenever a topic regarding internet importance in our world today is if there is any aspect of human life and existence that isn't affected and influenced by the internet in both positive and negative ways? The answer to this question always comes to support that in our current situation and time, we simply can't live and survive without using the internet.

From education, trading, buying and selling, marketing, industry, forecast, medicine, ICT, banking etc all have a touch of internet. Even leisure inform of online gaming is enabled through the use of internet. Now the most trending prospect with use of internet is in digital currency - cryptocurrency - bitcoin - Alt-Currency. With the way internet is going, I'm pretty sure that one decade in the future, 90% of the world's activities would be carried out on the internet.
damn the internet, back in the 1800s I would imagine that a child would be content on playing with their wagon made out of wood, now digital technology is all around us, and you can live without it, and some say they can live with TV, yea right, and without the net, I think we feel disconnected, and life goes on, and technology will continue to dig even deeper into our lives, and we simply got to have more and more.

Credits
Most of the younger people nowadays can’t even remember what life was like before the internet, because it has been around since at least the 1980’s, and longer for government uses, and some large businesses. Having a home computer has been a household item in many countries of the world and now we also all use smartphones and tablets. When you need to know about almost anything, all you have to do is “Google it”.

However, things did not use to be that way! I was part of the Baby Boomer generation, born after WW2, and when I was growing up back in the 1950’s, computers were the stuff of science fiction stories; People actually made a decent living by going door to door and selling families a set of encyclopedias to put on their bookshelves, and every school and library had extensive sets of encyclopedias and a dictionary that was about the size of a box of apples. It had every word known to man that was in the English language, and a full description of the usage and meaning of that word.

Having grown up with this system, I really appreciate (and enjoy) being able to learn almost anything on the internet. There are websites that cover almost any subject, youtube videos and tutorials from everything to planting your garden to repairing your vacuum cleaner when it gets clogged up; More and more, people are also taking college courses online, and we are probably not too far away from the times when children will be able to study from home with the use of the internet and a laptop or iPad.

I think that the potential for learning just about anything from the internet is tremendous, and it saddens me that a lot of people miss the possibility for this and just use their laptops and smartphones to play games with.
Modern life has become easier and the people of the world have to thanks to the immense contribution of the internet technology to communication and information sharing. There is no doubt that internet has made our life become easier and more convenient. We can use internet to communicate with people around the world, doing business by using internet, make new friend and know different cultures, searching information, studying and etc.

The internet not only allows for communication through email but also ensures easy availability of information, images, and products amongst other things. Every day the internet continues to provide a new facility, something new that is immensely convenient and that makes life more easier for web users.

Kieranlewix

Credits

The millennial generation, which comprises of almost every member of DG, has been born in a very developed era. The internet in itself has revolutionized a lot of sectors in the world. It has promoted interaction internationally, information sharing, business, agriculture and many more. The internet has created so many opportunities that did not exist in the past. Learning has become easier and as a result many people are realising that their childhood dreams were not meant to remain dreams. I am one of those people. Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted to pursue a computer-related career. When I joined University and got selected for the Hospitality Management field, I was disappointed. It was not for long though, because now, through learning from the internet, I am a web designer.:)

maestro

Credits
I think I will find a way to learn a new language or two using the internet. Maybe I will start with French since I tried learning it in high school and dropped it later on.

Kieranlewix

Credits
I think I will find a way to learn a new language or two using the internet. Maybe I will start with French since I tried learning it in high school and dropped it later on.
I also learn French online. For the best results, try duolingo.com or download the Duolingo app from play store. They give daily lessons for all major foreign languages like Spanish, French and German. I have had a pleasant experience since I started taking lessons from Duolingo. In my case, I am taking French in the University. It was compulsory to choose a foreign language and I ended up picking up French. Duolingo helps me supplement my class lessons. The best part is that it is completely free.:)

Credits
I also learn French online. For the best results, try duolingo.com or download the Duolingo app from play store. They give daily lessons for all major foreign languages like Spanish, French and German. I have had a pleasant experience since I started taking lessons from Duolingo. In my case, I am taking French in the University. It was compulsory to choose a foreign language and I ended up picking up French. Duolingo helps me supplement my class lessons. The best part is that it is completely free.:)
I can barely speak English, and not the best with the English language myself, and I doubt I will try learning another language when I am not even that good with my own, but you never know, maybe I will look into sign language, and I am not really how it would benefit me, but it would be something new, and it never hurts to learn at least something you did not know before, then start to progress from there by something else you did not know.

KellyGeo

Credits
I normally called the internet a world Bank of knowledge because there virtually nothing one would look for in this world currently that wouldn't be found on the internet. What it requires is to know the right place to look for such information and one would have more than enough at one's disposal.

Education is assisted by the internet, security is enhanced by the use of the internet, medical care is made more effective and efficient by the use of internet and so on. Regardless of the disadvantages of internet, I believe it's advantages is ahead.

Credits
I normally called the internet a world Bank of knowledge because there virtually nothing one would look for in this world currently that wouldn't be found on the internet. What it requires is to know the right place to look for such information and one would have more than enough at one's disposal.

Education is assisted by the internet, security is enhanced by the use of the internet, medical care is made more effective and efficient by the use of internet and so on. Regardless of the disadvantages of internet, I believe it's advantages is ahead.
and maybe the internet will get better over time, however, I do not know how, and sure, information on the internet is vast and so vast that you will certainly never learn everything, and you only should be trying to learn what you are learning for the moment rather having information overload, as it is always good to learn something on the internet, however, trying to learn too much, too quick may not be a good thing, so learn at your own pace.

KellyGeo

Credits
and maybe the internet will get better over time, however, I do not know how, and sure, information on the internet is vast and so vast that you will certainly never learn everything, and you only should be trying to learn what you are learning for the moment rather having information overload, as it is always good to learn something on the internet, however, trying to learn too much, too quick may not be a good thing, so learn at your own pace.
I get what you are trying to say about trying to take in too much information from the internet because it's available there, most times it doesn't go so well because it might actually have one getting a clash of knowledge. This normally happens when your brain tries to process too much information and it ends up making a mess of the whole thing. There was a lady whom I know that suffered such case, she was reading for her finals exam on medicine and suddenly she lost her bearings and started behaving abnormal.

Kieranlewix

Credits
I can barely speak English, and not the best with the English language myself, and I doubt I will try learning another language when I am not even that good with my own, but you never know, maybe I will look into sign language, and I am not really how it would benefit me, but it would be something new, and it never hurts to learn at least something you did not know before, then start to progress from there by something else you did not know.
I have never thought about learning sign language, but now I'm actually seeing the benefits. This life is very mysterious and there may be a point where knowing sign language could be the difference between life and death. I am inferring from all these detective movies whereby cops try to talk people down from committing suicide, mainly by jumping from a storeyed building. Even though I don't see myself becoming a cop or a detective, I may need to talk a deaf and dumb person from doing something dangerous, or even need the sign language skills to talk to someone close to me.

KellyGeo

Credits
Learning sign language wouldn't be something easy from how I have seen those that take up the course study deal with it. There are some schools here that focus on teaching people with such disabilities how to express themselves. There is one that interests me the most, those one who uses something like a pointer to pierce book with dots in form of writing. It's an interesting thing.

maestro

Credits
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to check it out.

Kieranlewix

Credits
Learning sign language wouldn't be something easy from how I have seen those that take up the course study deal with it. There are some schools here that focus on teaching people with such disabilities how to express themselves. There is one that interests me the most, those one who uses something like a pointer to pierce book with dots in form of writing. It's an interesting thing.
What you are referring to is basically braille. It is used by blind people to communicate with other blind people. Sign language is majorly used by deaf and dumb people because they can see and interpret the body movements. I don't know if braille qualifies as a form of sign language but what I do know is that all incapacitated people should be taken care of and given a chance to practise an alternative form of communication and learning.

KellyGeo

Credits
".... all incapacitated people should be taken care of and given a chance to practise an alternative form of communication and learning...."

This assertion of yours is 100% supported with everything in me. That someone is handicapped doesn't make the individual entirely useless and shouldn't make him be treated any less than a fully healthy individual. But the blind are really hurt by nature or whatever that made them blind. A deaf and dumb can actually write .

Kieranlewix

Credits
".... all incapacitated people should be taken care of and given a chance to practise an alternative form of communication and learning...."

This assertion of yours is 100% supported with everything in me. That someone is handicapped doesn't make the individual entirely useless and shouldn't make him be treated any less than a fully healthy individual. But the blind are really hurt by nature or whatever that made them blind. A deaf and dumb can actually write .
The deaf and dumb do have a few advantages over all other forms of disability. They do suffer from low esteem too though. It is nice that the deaf are getting hearing aids that assist in boosting their hearing. In fact, the design of the hearing aids these days is pretty cool. They look like the comms FBI agents wear in their ears. It is pretty sad though, that being deaf can make you dumb. Not hearing anything would make you lack anything to say too, and appear dumb even though technically you can talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.