The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 115 more

Mandela Effect: Someone's messing with reality

Credits
Have you ever heard of the Mandela Effect it's a kind of Butterfly Effect which was named after the late South African President Nelson Mandela who was jailed for 20 plus years and a lot of people including me remember Mandela died in prison in the 80's because it was discussed by my teacher in our class and I forgot all about it. After a decade I heard on the news that Mandela was released from prison and was running for president then I just thought that it was a different person and didn't think about it anymore. A month ago I read a curious article about the Mandela Effect and I was mystified when I read that tens of thousands of people like me has the same memory that Mandela died in the 80's. So I said what's happening? Then I researched more about this phenomenon and realized that there's a lot of these events happening.

One good example of the Mandela Effect is Jiffy peanut butter, I know this brand because I used to eat it a lot when I was growing up and it seems that it didn't exist. There's no Jiffy, but there's a peanut butter called "jif".

I watched Silence of the Lambs in the cinema and I heard and watched Hannibal greeting Agent Clarice by saying "Hello, Clarice" , but again it's not what Hannibal actually said.

So there's a lot of things in the past that seems to have changed, but only minor things. Does anyone here experienced any of these?

For Star Wars Fans it seems that C3PO has silver legs and not Gold.

Anyone here a fan of Sex in the City? Well, that show never existed because it's Sex "and" the City.

What is your take on this?
I think someone is messing with the past and changing our reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

arunima25

Credits
We take history as it is presented to us through books and we do not know what actually existed as we did not witness it. Those who witnessed it leave something for posterity and different schools of Historians have their own perception and views on it and many of these views clash. So we actually are not sure and our views are prejudiced by what we have read. History stays as a mystery.

Kei

Credits
I got so interested reading this. Yes you are right about things like this that seem so but aren't so. There's one That happened in Nigeria. Apparently every Nigerian remembers a football match way back in the nineties between Nigeria and India where India beat Nigeria by 99-1. In reality, that match never ever happened anywhere in history but everyone remembers the story. How odd and funny at the same time.

This reminds me of the idea that the world could be in one big simulation where the experimenter can chose the alter any fragment perhaps our memories, environment, history or even abandon the experiment and that would be the end of many. Crazy right?

arunima25

Credits
I got so interested reading this. Yes you are right about things like this that seem so but aren't so. There's one That happened in Nigeria. Apparently every Nigerian remembers a football match way back in the nineties between Nigeria and India where India beat Nigeria by 99-1. In reality, that match never ever happened anywhere in history but everyone remembers the story. How odd and funny at the same time.

This reminds me of the idea that the world could be in one big simulation where the experimenter can chose the alter any fragment perhaps our memories, environment, history or even abandon the experiment and that would be the end of many. Crazy right?
That sounds interesting. I have never heard of any such football match between the country. So it was a story and not a history. And the impact of the story is so influential for people. You are very true world can be one big simulation and strong experiments through stories, documentary and visuals can have a huge impact.

SeaGirl

Credits
We take history as it is presented to us through books and we do not know what actually existed as we did not witness it. Those who witnessed it leave something for posterity and different schools of Historians have their own perception and views on it and many of these views clash. So we actually are not sure and our views are prejudiced by what we have read. History stays as a mystery.
I second your thoughts. There are always two different schools of thought to look at things and without witnessing we cannot term them wrong or right