The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 36 more

Pictures vs Videos in advertising/marketing

Heatman

Credits
Now, it's very obvious that the content of any marketing message is geared towards persuading and influencing people opinion and choice when it comes to patronizing any products or services.

We have witnessed such marketing or advertising messages with either pictures or videos to improve the content of the advertisement but the question that always bugs me is between pictures and videos, which one is more effective in influencing people's decision?

Is it pictures or videos? Should it be both?

Last edited by a moderator:

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Now, it's very obvious that the content of any marketing message is geared towards persuading and influencing people opinion and choice when it comes to patronizing any products or services.

We have witnessed such marketing or advertising messages with either pictures or videos to improve the content of the advertisement but the question that always bugs me is between pictures and videos, which one is more effective in influencing people's decision?

The only person that can only truly answer this question is those that run a good amount of split testing between graphics, and videos. In general, I would like to think that users or visitors would prefer videos over graphics, however, it is a proven fact during tests that funny graphics can get people to click also, and I am not talking about a picture of the product; I am talking about funny or bizarre graphics, and I suspect those that show these type of graphics are shooting for more clicks rather then conversions as they are just trying to get traffic to their site, because if you think about it, if the images are not related to the product or service, then why would anyone really click on them? and the reasoning behind this is somewhat simple, the advertiser is simply trying to create buzz so he/she can increase his/her traffic to his or her website, however, if I was focused more on conversions, then I probably would not go with crazy funny graphics; I would simply have a video created about the product or service.

There is no simple answer to what will work best for your needs; In order to know for sure, everyone's niche will be different, for some, graphics may work best for them, for others, videos may work best for them, without doing any type of testing, really hard to say. Have you ever heard the term, what works for one, may not work for another? It is like curing two people that have the same disease, one person may be cured using this one drug, but since the other person has a different body chemistry, that same drug may not cure that person. What works for me, and not always work for other people, and vice versa also, if something is working for you, then it may not work for me.

Last edited:

to7update

Credits
Yeah, it's hard to say. I believe that videos in advertising are not the best choice because, sadly, most people these days see online ads as spam and uses adblockers. I think it's just natural, I mean, if we are navigating in a page, and we want to see our content, being bombed with ads is not friendly. So I'd go for images, simple and engaging, and if it has to be a video, it has to be something relevant for the audiences.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Yeah, it's hard to say. I believe that videos in advertising are not the best choice because, sadly, most people these days see online ads as spam and uses adblockers. I think it's just natural, I mean, if we are navigating in a page, and we want to see our content, being bombed with ads is not friendly. So I'd go for images, simple and engaging, and if it has to be a video, it has to be something relevant for the audiences.
I do not think I have any type of ad blocking going, and I do not mind seeing ads, and what really gets under my skins were popups that come out sometime in the 90s and the pop up crazy seems to be over also since Google, and any other legit ad site will not allow you to use popups. As far as Facebook is concerned, just go study facebook and look at the ads and see what others are doing, and it does not mean any one particular ad is making money, and you will see advertisers use bizarre/funny looking graphics, and case studies have proven that they work, and here is the risk of using a video in FB ads; Your video better be pretty damn good for me to watch a 30-60 second ad on some social network such as facebook, and I I am just using this as an example as I do not have a facebook account, nor am I likely to signup for facebook in the near future, however, I am not really sure if @DigitalGlobal will signup for FB, and if he does, then I suspect it will be for testing ads, and see if they will perform or not.

Heatman

Credits
The only person that can only truly answer this question is those that run a good amount of split testing between graphics, and videos. In general, I would like to think that users or visitors would prefer videos over graphics, however, it is a proven fact during tests that funny graphics can get people to click also, and I am not talking about a picture of the product; I am talking about funny or bizarre graphics, and I suspect those that show these type of graphics are shooting for more clicks rather then conversions as they are just trying to get traffic to their site, because if you think about it, if the images are not related to the product or service, then why would anyone really click on them? and the reasoning behind this is somewhat simple, the advertiser is simply trying to create buzz so he/she can increase his/her traffic to his or her website, however, if I was focused more on conversions, then I probably would not go with crazy funny graphics; I would simply have a video created about the product or service.

There is no simple answer to what will work best for your needs; In order to know for sure, everyone's niche will be different, for some, graphics may work best for them, for others, videos may work best for them, without doing any type of testing, really hard to say. Have you ever heard the term, what works for one, may not work for another? It is like curing two people that have the same disease, one person may be cured using this one drug, but since the other person has a different body chemistry, that same drug may not cure that person. What works for me, and not always work for other people, and vice versa also, if something is working for you, then it may not work for me.
Wow, that's a very comprehensive explanation on the subject matter of this thread and I believe that it certainly have answered the question at hand almost 100% with that assertion that not everything works exactly the same on some projects. It's more of making do with what is actually working for you.

Heatman

Credits
I do not think I have any type of ad blocking going, and I do not mind seeing ads, and what really gets under my skins were popups that come out sometime in the 90s and the pop up crazy seems to be over also since Google, and any other legit ad site will not allow you to use popups. As far as Facebook is concerned, just go study facebook and look at the ads and see what others are doing, and it does not mean any one particular ad is making money, and you will see advertisers use bizarre/funny looking graphics, and case studies have proven that they work, and here is the risk of using a video in FB ads; Your video better be pretty damn good for me to watch a 30-60 second ad on some social network such as facebook, and I I am just using this as an example as I do not have a facebook account, nor am I likely to signup for facebook in the near future, however, I am not really sure if @DigitalGlobal will signup for FB, and if he does, then I suspect it will be for testing ads, and see if they will perform or not.
Pop up ads are very annoying to me, sometimes I wouldn't know when I would unknowingly click it and I would automatically be routed to another page all together. I don't have much issues with video ads but when it comes in pop up format, I have serious issues with it.

to7update

Credits
Yeah, pop-ups are even worse. Whenever I get to those streaming sites, if I don't have an adblocker, forget it, my computer is like fireworks, windows everywhere! @DGStaff, you might be one of the few people I know that don't use adblockers! FB for digitalglobal could be a good idea to get more members maybe? More work too though.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Yeah, pop-ups are even worse. Whenever I get to those streaming sites, if I don't have an adblocker, forget it, my computer is like fireworks, windows everywhere! @DGStaff, you might be one of the few people I know that don't use adblockers! FB for digitalglobal could be a good idea to get more members maybe? More work too though.
FB Ads may not be a good fit for this site, not only that, FB Ads would not be used for getting new forum members, if anything, Adwords would be used to promote the Digital Global Marketplace, and new members would come as a result of visitors looking around, and new members also signup from organic traffic as a result of keyword ranking in google and other search engines, and that can take along time, maybe up to a year, or so, however, adwords would be used once the site has been completed in order to speed up the process of bringing buyers and sellers to the marketplace. DG Forum would not be advertised or marketed directly, however, I suspect DG will do some SEO/Marketing on the site.

to7update

Credits
Actually I was talking about a FB page, where you could share some of the posts made here in order to attract more members, not FB ads.

On the other hand, what about SEO? I am not an expert, but I do know that some SEO can certainly take digitalglobal to the top results of search engines.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Actually I was talking about a FB page, where you could share some of the posts made here in order to attract more members, not FB ads.

On the other hand, what about SEO? I am not an expert, but I do know that some SEO can certainly take digitalglobal to the top results of search engines.
In order for SEO to be effective, then we need something to offer visitors that come in as a result of the SEO, and right now, we have a forum with 500+ posts, and the marketplace has not been set up on the home page, so what do we really have to offer new visitors right now? and to be honest with you, the forum certainly needs a fresh coat of paint which DG has promised, not only that SEO is time-consuming never-ending process, and once you start, then it is best to keep SEO going because SEO is not for short gains, however, it is certainly not off the table.

You also have to remember this site is still considered fairly new, and SEO may not be all that effective right now with the limited content that we have on the blog, and forum. If DG Online Marketplace was up and running, not only could DG do more SEO, and press releases, however, there is no reason to do a press release if there is no immediate ROI on the table as it would not really make that much sense.

and to be honest, it is not about the limited content, as it is more about how visitors will perceive the site when they visit, and right now, I would perceive the overall value of the site as low quality, as we are using a basic theme, nothing on the home page, etc. You can all the SEO you want on a site, but if the overall site is low quality or gives the appearance of low quality, then visitors may just end up bouncing off the site, and if anything, then I think DG should focus on one thing at a time, and I would highly suggest an attractive forum theme, and from what I can tell, the marketplace script may not be as easy to operate as once thought, and may take more time to study the script completely.

Last edited:

to7update

Credits
Thanks for sharing those links @DGStaff, taking a look now, and I have written some articles on SEO and I recall that one thing that does require a site perform well in terms of SEO is original quality content, as well as quality link building, So, pretty much as you say, the perception of the visitors to the site will depend a lot not only on how the site looks but also the type of content it displays.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Thanks for sharing those links @DGStaff, taking a look now, and I have written some articles on SEO and I recall that one thing that does require a site perform well in terms of SEO is original quality content, as well as quality link building, So, pretty much as you say, the perception of the visitors to the site will depend a lot not only on how the site looks but also the type of content it displays.
Right now, the overall site does not have a competitive edge in anything, in other words, we just have a forum, so doing any SEO on the right now would be mute, however, and I would not expect anything to significantly improve until the site has been completed as a whole, and if you have noticed, the forum does not exactly have what you would call "sex appeal." and to be honest, the theme is somewhat bland, and not attractive.

Kieranlewix

Credits

I think both are very effective marketing tools. In the case of videos, I believe that they might disappoint potential clients if they do not relay some kind of message that relates to your site or to the product you are trying to sell. An example is using this funny videos and gifs I see everywhere in the net. In case you want to attract traffic to a site like Digital Global, using these kind of videos will end up just staining the forum with the wrong kind of visitors. However, if the videos you want to use actually relate to business, then they are bound to fascinate and hook some business minded visitors. Pictures are also effective as a marketing tool. As in the case of videos, the right kind of pictures will attract the right kind of traffic.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I think both are very effective marketing tools. In the case of videos, I believe that they might disappoint potential clients if they do not relay some kind of message that relates to your site or to the product you are trying to sell. An example is using this funny videos and gifs I see everywhere in the net. In case you want to attract traffic to a site like Digital Global, using these kind of videos will end up just staining the forum with the wrong kind of visitors. However, if the videos you want to use actually relate to business, then they are bound to fascinate and hook some business minded visitors. Pictures are also effective as a marketing tool. As in the case of videos, the right kind of pictures will attract the right kind of traffic.
I agree with your assessment, putting out videos of dogs and cats licking themselves may not bring the right traffic, even though the video could be funny to a degree, I just think these types of videos could bring the wrong type of traffic, however, FB advertisers may do this for the reason of just bring a lot of traffic to the site hoping that something sticks, and hope that the traffic may come back later on, but not a very good plan if you ask me.

Kieranlewix

Credits
I agree with your assessment, putting out videos of dogs and cats licking themselves may not bring the right traffic, even though the video could be funny to a degree, I just think these types of videos could bring the wrong type of traffic, however, FB advertisers may do this for the reason of just bring a lot of traffic to the site hoping that something sticks, and hope that the traffic may come back later on, but not a very good plan if you ask me.
Most of the world's population, if not all likes to laugh and be happy. In the case of FB, most of it is just funny stuff, videos and pictures that make the website fun. The communication feature might have been the main product they were trying to sell, but eventually they realised they could sell happiness too. This is not the case with other websites that aren't social networks. The only kind of adverts that would attract the right kind of traffic for Digital Global for example, would be business related ads that imply that Digital Global could enrich their lives and equip them with skills that could make them rich.:cool:

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Most of the world's population, if not all likes to laugh and be happy. In the case of FB, most of it is just funny stuff, videos and pictures that make the website fun. The communication feature might have been the main product they were trying to sell, but eventually they realised they could sell happiness too. This is not the case with other websites that aren't social networks. The only kind of adverts that would attract the right kind of traffic for Digital Global for example, would be business related ads that imply that Digital Global could enrich their lives and equip them with skills that could make them rich.:cool:
Yes, we want to provide valuable skills that will make you rich; If we make you rich, then you make us rich, then I can be promoted to something higher, then posting on the forum, and do not get me wrong, I enjoy posting on the forum, and it is not always easy as I still have to live in the world at the same time being on the forum for several hours of the day, and making sure everything up and working like it is supposed too, and I think everyone lifes to see graphics and videos from time to time, as this can help break up the content, and somewhat deal with the boredom of just reading the content to begin, so if you have ideas that can create excitement or engagement, then by all means post your suggestions on the forum.