The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 115 more

Setting up a small business

to7update

Credits
Most people work for someone else, for a company, even if they dream of having a job. At the same time, the few people I know that have their own businesses say it's a lot more work and concerns, and many times the pay isn't that great. What do you say, should we risk it and go for our own businesses and eventually a life change, or should we stick with our regular pay-check?

Credits
Most people work for someone else, for a company, even if they dream of having a job. At the same time, the few people I know that have their own businesses say it's a lot more work and concerns, and many times the pay isn't that great. What do you say, should we risk it and go for our own businesses and eventually a life change, or should we stick with our regular pay-check?
I do not know anyone that would not like some extra income, however, setting up and running your own business is not as easy as it sounds, as there is alot of risk involved, and I do not think site owners realize this when they setup some type of affiliate site thinking they are going to make bank in just a few short months, then they start to realize that website is maybe costing them more and more because they may have to continue to invest in their online business, and it really depends on niche, if they did everything right, and a bit of luck, then they may start to see some income within a few months to 1-3 years, and this can really depend on niche, and assuming this some type of online business they have setup.

Heatman

Credits
Yes, it's true that capital is the first major factor needed to set up any personal business but it's not the only important thing needed to be successful in such business. Management skills is another factor that most people fail to understand its importance when it comes to starting your own business. If you have the money, the structure, and labor to start your business but lack management skills to effectively carry the business out, otherwise, the business is definitely going to crumble.

Last edited by a moderator:

to7update

Credits
I do not know anyone that would not like some extra income, however, setting up and running your own business is not as easy as it sounds, as there is alot of risk involved, and I do not think site owners realize this when they setup some type of affiliate site thinking they are going to make bank in just a few short months, then they start to realize that website is maybe costing them more and more because they may have to continue to invest in their online business, and it really depends on niche, if they did everything right, and a bit of luck, then they may start to see some income within a few months to 1-3 years, and this can really depend on niche, and assuming this some type of online business they have setup.
It's not easy at all! I have a family member who worked in construction, he did a huge building and never got paid for it, so eventually; The company went bankrupt, as he was the owner, and he had to sell his own house to pay some debts. It was really, really hard...

Last edited by a moderator:
Credits
Yes it's true that capital is the first major factor needed to set up any personal business but it's not the only important thing needed to be successful in such business. Management skills is another factor that most people fail to understand its importance when it comes to starting your own business. If you have the money, the structure and labor to start your business but lack management skills to effectively carry the business out, the business is definitely going to crumble.
You are right; I have been reading more and more on startup business getting funding, and it can really be a windfall for the business if they can secure funding from some angel investor or maybe they are working their way up in order to get VC Funding, maybe you should go read the offerup startup article that DG wrote as far as offerup is concerned, and when they started, did anyone really think they would be the next eBay or craigslist rolled up in one? Someone did as offerup did manage to get some serious funding, however, I am not sure if DG will go that route.

It's not easy at all! I have a family member who worked in construction, he did a huge building and never got paid for it, and eventually, the company went bankrupt; As he was the owner, he had to sell his own house to pay some debts. It was really, really hard...
There are no guarantees that any type of business will succeed, and if you are lucky, maybe you will become one of the few to brag that you were one of the successful, and if you do not succeed, then no one will never know you existed, and no one will remember you when you are gone, and I have no idea with Digital Global will succeed or not, and sometimes it can be fate, a bit of luck, some skill or a combination of everything as there are just too many factors up in the air in the very early stages of a new business, and DG is not even ready to go live other than the forum.

Heatman

Credits
You are right; I have been reading more and more on startup business getting funding, and it can really be a windfall for the business if they can secure funding from some angel investor or maybe they are working their way up in order to get VC Funding, maybe you should go read the offerup startup article that DG wrote as far as offerup is concerned, and when they started, did anyone really think they would be the next eBay or craigslist rolled up in one? Someone did as offerup did manage to get some serious funding, however, I am not sure if DG will go that route.
Wow, that's one comprehensive article written about Offerup and Craigslist. From my extensive reading between the lines of the article, I must say that Craigslist overlooked some important features which Offerup took advantage of and is racing ahead of the e-commerce site. Take for instance, the issue of not having a mobile application and messenger to facilitate swift transactions.

Personally, I hate someone taking too long to respond to my emails especially when I'm looking to close a business transaction quickly. Craigslist failed woefully on this aspect and it's part of the reason why Offerup is smoothly surpassing it.

to7update

Credits

There are no guarantees that any type of business will succeed, and if you are lucky, maybe you will become one of the few to brag that you were one of the successful, and if you do not succeed, then no one will never know you existed, and no one will remember you when you are gone, and I have no idea with Digital Global will succeed or not, and sometimes it can be fate, a bit of luck, some skill or a combination of everything as there are just too many factors up in the air in the very early stages of a new business, and DG is not even ready to go live other than the forum.
Yeah, one has to be in the right place, at the right time. It's not all a matter of luck, but it helps a lot. You know what they say, luck comes to those who work hard, so if we give all we have, we can certainly succeed. To give all we have, we need to have passion for what we do though.

Credits
Wow, that's one comprehensive article written about Offerup and Craigslist. From my extensive reading between the lines of the article, I must say that Craigslist overlooked some important features which Offerup took advantage of and is racing ahead of the e-commerce site. Take for instance, the issue of not having a mobile application and messenger to facilitate swift transactions.

Personally, I hate someone taking too long to respond to my emails especially when I'm looking to close a business transaction quickly. Craigslist failed woefully on this aspect and it's part of the reason why Offerup is smoothly surpassing it.
I have not been to craigslist in forever and a day, and I was not aware they were not mobile, and I guess they do not have to be even though Google appears to favor sites that are mobile compared to non-mobile sites and to be honest, I thought all sites were mobile or responsive, however, mobile and responsive are two different things, so when someone says my site is mobile ready, it means they are using a different template which is made for mobile devices, and this was the case in the early days, and when someone says that their site is responsive, then that means their site will work on any type of device, so if you are setting up a site, then you certainly want to make sure the theme is responsive.

Yeah, one has to be in the right place, at the right time. It's not all a matter of luck, but it helps a lot. You know what they say, luck comes to those who work hard, so if we give all we have, we can certainly succeed. To give all we have, we need to have passion for what we do though.
That is not always the case, you can have passion, and work all your life, and still not move up, however, this does not mean that you should give up, but success certainly is not guaranteed just because you have passion and work hard, and for some, that day may never come.

Heatman

Credits
I have not been to craigslist in forever and a day, and I was not aware they were not mobile, and I guess they do not have to be even though Google appears to favor sites that are mobile compared to non-mobile sites and to be honest, I thought all sites were mobile or responsive, however, mobile and responsive are two different things, so when someone says my site is mobile ready, it means they are using a different template which is made for mobile devices, and this was the case in the early days, and when someone says that their site is responsive, then that means their site will work on any type of device, so if you are setting up a site, then you certainly want to make sure the theme is responsive.
Most people now are more disposed to working with mobile gadgets (Android or iOS) because it's more convenient to carry out any transactions with. One can be at anywhere and initiate as well as conclude any business dealing instead of getting glued at home with desktop computers or even carrying a laptop around. So when setting up a site, it's necessary to make it mobile ready as well as responsive because it would facilitate the rate at which people run point through the platform.

Credits
Most people now are more disposed to working with mobile gadgets (Android or iOS) because it's more convenient to carry out any transactions with. One can be at anywhere and initiate as well as conclude any business dealing instead of getting glued at home with desktop computers or even carrying a laptop around. So when setting up a site, it's necessary to make it mobile ready as well as responsive because it would facilitate the rate at which people run point through the platform.
I would agree, however, the term "mobile" friendly are templates that were created back in the day for mobile devices, and a site would have two URLS to their site, which was the main URL for their site, and another url that mobile traffic could visit, and today, it has advanced to something most would call "responsive" which means that traffic would be able to use any type of device without the need to go to a mobile URL, and this pretty much elimated the need for the second URL for mobile visitors, however, I do suspect some of the older sites that have never converted could still be using mobile version URLS which would look something like m.mysite.com, however, responsive design has done away with that.

however, I am somewhat confused, and I am not sure why the site would need an Android or iOS app? If the site is responsive then why would the site need such apps? Not only that, I do not recall DG making mention of Android or iOS, and I am not familiar with the uses either. I do have apps on my phone that will allow me to do different things such as monitor the weather, and that does not prevent me from using the site; Maybe an Android app would allow visitors to do certain things on the store that they could not otherwise do? I would have to look into this more.

Credits
Running ones business has always been the best bet for me,I know we always crave for immediate gains and forget the many gains in the future if we stick around with our own businesses. It better to start ones business and grow it no matter how small than growing someone else's business and then get thrown out in the name of sack in the future.

Junrose123

Credits
For now I will stick to my offline job since it is one of my major source of income, although having a business is a good idea but then it has a lot of risk especially if you will not be the one to manage your own business. It is much better to have it supervise by your self so that you can easily asses the situation and give solutions for every problems that may arise.

Gabbar

Credits
I would love to start some sort of business soon and would be nice to have smaller one as we can afford to risk as capital required would be less and it may work well.

Gabbar

Credits
i may start a small business net year as we are thinking about doing it from a long time, I am still not sure of what type but I will work on that, very soon.

Junrose123

Credits
I am planning to have my own food cart business next year since I saw in my hometown that it is very in demand since people loves to eat. I see a good profit in it.

Gabbar

Credits
Yeah it's a good option and soon you can make profit from it and can expand your business.
Will you sell fast food or all types of food.

Gabbar

Credits
That's a good option and I am sure it's more in demand. Good luck with that. You can start from a small scale in the Initial stages and can easily expand after seeing growth in your earnings.

Junrose123

Credits
Yes that is what I am planning to make, If ever there is an improvement then I might expand the business and sell other food as well so that customers would have a lot f choices.