Register
Join
+ 115 more

Starting a seasonal business

Heatman

Credits
Rate Post
5.00 star(s)
Have you ever considered starting up a business that is based on a seasonal note?

What I mean by this is that as we have summer, winter, dry season and rainy season, there are some products that are being sought after and once you engage in such business, there is definitely going to be an increased sales.

Take for instance now that we are in raining season, one can set up an online site/store that deals on selling raincoats, umbrellas, sweaters, gloves, rainboots etc. Once you can promote your business for it to gain popularity, there is an increased chance of making good money from such business.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

KellyGeo

Credits
This is a great idea of business that most people fail to take advantage of especially when there would be so much demand for such seasonal products. I think that I have already witnessed some business minded people who have already taken the opportunity to setup physical shops where such seasonal products like umbrella and raincoat are sold. It's definitely moving when it comes to selling because people would have to go to work when it's raining as it's not an excuse to miss going to work. Taking the business to online level would be a good thing in my opinion.

Heatman

Credits
This is a great idea of business that most people fail to take advantage of especially when there would be so much demand for such seasonal products. I think that I have already witnessed some business minded people who have already taken the opportunity to setup physical shops where such seasonal products like umbrella and raincoat are sold. It's definitely moving when it comes to selling because people would have to go to work when it's raining as it's not an excuse to miss going to work. Taking the business to online level would be a good thing in my opinion.
Yes, I've got the same feelings about this kind of business because from the looks of things and with the way this season is going, I think that there is going to be enough rain and this means that people will need a lot of this product that will help them to carry out the daily activities without being held back by the rain.

KellyGeo

Credits
Yes, I've got the same feelings about this kind of business because from the looks of things and with the way this season is going, I think that there is going to be enough rain and this means that people will need a lot of this product that will help them to carry out the daily activities without being held back by the rain.
There are so many more seasonal business products that one can engage in. For example, candles, ribbons, mat etc. All these products command a reasonable amount of sales once its season comes.

Heatman

Credits
There are so many more seasonal business products that one can engage in. For example, candles, ribbons, mat etc. All these products command a reasonable amount of sales once its season comes.
Those are good options to consider when it comes to starting up online seasonal business. I think that finding custome that goes with the ever celebration day in a year would be a great input as well. Like now the Muslims are in the season of Ramadan, finding items that goes in line with the event would definitely sell well online.

KellyGeo

Credits
Those are good options to consider when it comes to starting up online seasonal business. I think that finding custome that goes with the ever celebration day in a year would be a great input as well. Like now the Muslims are in the season of Ramadan, finding items that goes in line with the event would definitely sell well online.
This is a good suggestion too. Finding a way to use the seasonal celebration will definitely fetch one a good amount of money because there countless celebrations to capitalize on in a year.

Credits
Have you ever considered starting up a business that is based on a seasonal note?

What I mean by this is that as we have summer, winter, dry season and rainy season, there are some products that are being sought after and once you engage in such business, there is definitely going to be an increased sales.

Take for instance now that we are in raining season, one can set up an online site/store that deals on selling raincoats, umbrellas, sweaters, gloves, rainboots etc. Once you can promote your business for it to gain popularity, there is an increased chance of making good money from such business.

What do you think?
If I were going to sell something online, then I would make sure it is not seasonal as I would want to make money year around, and you can not do that with seasonal products unless you are selling products for all seasons. I know a flower place right up the road that sells all types of plants and trees, however, once it starts turning cold, then the place is a ghost town because people do not buy plants in the winter, and if I am going to sell a particular product, then I would want to make sure I can sell that product any day of the year, and this is called ever-green. So if you have some sort of affiliate site selling lawn mowers, then there is a good chance that your best selling months will be in the summer, and since buying lawn mowers is not really year round, then this would not be considered ever-green, so if you are going to sell something, make sure it will sell year round, and not just a few months out of the year.

Heatman

Credits
If I were going to sell something online, then I would make sure it is not seasonal as I would want to make money year around, and you can not do that with seasonal products unless you are selling products for all seasons. I know a flower place right up the road that sells all types of plants and trees, however, once it starts turning cold, then the place is a ghost town because people do not buy plants in the winter, and if I am going to sell a particular product, then I would want to make sure I can sell that product any day of the year, and this is called ever-green. So if you have some sort of affiliate site selling lawn mowers, then there is a good chance that your best selling months will be in the summer, and since buying lawn mowers is not really year round, then this would not be considered ever-green, so if you are going to sell something, make sure it will sell year round, and not just a few months out of the year.
Thanks for this suggestion @DGStaff, you have a very good point because it's not really a good idea to be in an out of business because such business is wired to be in trend for a few months. It's not a steady source of income, it would be a lot better to have a business that would fetch one income on a day in day out pattern. The only way I believe seasonal business should be considered is when it's the only option available to an individual.

Kieranlewix

Credits

What do you think?
Starting a seasonal business is fine, but to be honest, no business owner wants to settle for just fine. Sure, you may want quick cash, and for a short time, especially in the case of an emergency, or when you are trying to raise capital for something even bigger, but any business should be founded on the possibility of continuity. Seasonal businesses are popular and often encounter lots of competition, which means the marketing strategies have to be awesome too. I have nothing against such a scheme, but before I set up a business, I at least give it a theoretical test run of a year. If in my opinion, it cannot last more than that, I do away with the idea and try to come up with a more reliable one and try to work out the kinks.

Credits
Starting a seasonal business is fine, but to be honest, no business owner wants to settle for just fine. Sure, you may want quick cash, and for a short time, especially in the case of an emergency, or when you are trying to raise capital for something even bigger, but any business should be founded on the possibility of continuity. Seasonal businesses are popular and often encounter lots of competition, which means the marketing strategies have to be awesome too. I have nothing against such a scheme, but before I set up a business, I at least give it a theoretical test run of a year. If in my opinion, it cannot last more than that, I do away with the idea and try to come up with a more reliable one and try to work out the kinks.
a year is a lot of investment to be testing for something for a year, and you should not have too. Depending on the type of business, then I guess you could run some google or facebook ads, and that will be the quickest way to find out if what you are offering is going to sell, however, what DG is doing is not a new concept, since there are quite a few freelance sites and marketplace sits out there, however, and since there are so many existing sites out there, then that may make it more difficult to get off the ground, and that really depends on other factors also, maybe other people will like our site compared to other sites, and it is hard to say right now since the entire site is not complete, and we are not operating at full power.

NoviceNinja

Credits
Does it have to be online? I think seasonal businesses are perfect for students. Let me explain why.

Here in our country, summer starts from March up to May which is usually the time students end their school year. Since it is summer and temperatures outside goes up to 40 degrees Celsius, it is great to put up kiosks selling refreshing cold beverages even on the corner of some street. You do not have to get a permit to do that. It's sufficient side income for students on their summer vacation instead of them sitting idle on their hands and do nothing. And a beverage business has a huge profit margin, Imagine all you need as raw materials are water, jello, ice, and flavoring.

Credits
Seasonal business strives greatly in my country it like a period one can make quick cash and a lot of people take advantage of it.I have cashed out sometimes especially during the summer where people really need chilled fluids and drinks. I store all sort in my.refrigerator and sell them at home and I make good cash from it and quickly too.

Junrose123

Credits
I think seasonal business often give us only a few income compare to business that stay for a longer period of time. But then I do respect the choices of others since they feel comfortable about it and they enjoy what they are doing.

Credits
Seasonal business is only good for a while and as such one can't really depend on them,so it better to start as soon as it the season so as to make much before t is off season.

moh254

Credits
I have seen people venturing in those business like maybe when its rainy season they tend to sell gumboots and umbrellas and when its summer they sell vests, sun glasses etc. The only problem with such businesses is that its always highly competitive because lots of people are doing that business.

Junrose123

Credits
I would not really stick to seasonal products when I entered into the world of business beauce I need to see to it that I would make a profit from it. If a certain business cannot last for a long period of time then it is just like wasting of time and money.