Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 36 more
Status
Not open for further replies.

maestro

Credits
So I've been hearing lately a lot about using subliminal messages in advertising. I didn't know what this was until I went on youtube and watched a few videos. I was surprised to find out that there is a ton of videos online using this same concept, and people are actually paying good money for this kind of advertising. What I was wondering is do you think subliminal advertising really works?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
So I've been hearing lately a lot about using subliminal messages in advertising. I didn't know what this was until I went on youtube and watched a few videos. I was surprised to find out that there is a ton of videos online using this same concept, and people are actually paying good money for this kind of advertising. What I was wondering is do you think subliminal advertising really works?
You really need to be sharp and on your toes in order to catch those subliminal messages that you are referring too, and say they do not work, others say they do, however, if the person does not catch it, then I would have to say they do not work for that person, and I will give you a good example, amazon, has being using the same logo for years, take note of the arrow that goes from A-Z, unless I saw the page telling me about it, then I would have never guessed that they were simply giving people a subliminal message saying that have everything from A-Z, cool, right?

1524065370817.png

Check out the following site for more subliminal message examples:
https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/ads-with-subliminal-messages
Check out the Coke vs Pepsi

maestro

Credits
Woah! You just blew my mind with that Amazon subliminal message, I hear they are supposed to manipulate you subconsciously and that's why advertisers work so hard to hide them. I'll check out the link you posted and see what else I've been missing.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Woah! You just blew my mind with that Amazon subliminal message, I hear they are supposed to manipulate you subconsciously and that's why advertisers work so hard to hide them. I'll check out the link you posted and see what else I've been missing.
If the end consumer does not make the connection, then the subliminal message is completely useless. I never really thought about amazon's logo, and obviously, it was above my head to make that connection, and in their case, it was to make a point that they sell everything from A-Z, then again, I do not sit here and try to analyze commercials to the point where I am asking, is there something hidden in the message, and most of the time I do not pay any attention to ads and commercials, however, this does not mean other people ignore them, and pick up on them pretty fast.

to7update

Credits
Advertising resorts to all possible tricks to mess with our minds and to make us buy something, it's just how it goes. It can go as subtly as subliminal messages as you mention it, or by inserting frames into movies (what is now illegal, I think) with clear messages, like "Buy Coke". This happened in the first half of a movie, and during the break more than half the people went to buy coke...

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Advertising resorts to all possible tricks to mess with our minds and to make us buy something, it's just how it goes. It can go as subtly as subliminal messages as you mention it, or by inserting frames into movies (what is now illegal, I think) with clear messages, like "Buy Coke". This happened in the first half of a movie, and during the break more than half the people went to buy coke...
I saw a new commercial today on "water" ROFL! The commercial shows water being poured that sounds like Coke or Pepsi was being poured, and if you did not pick up the subliminal message, then it is about making their water sounds like coke or Pepsi is being poured. I was not paying attention to the commercial so I did think it was a coke or Pepsi commercial, then I looked up to see water being poured; When I hear a sound like that, then I just want a coke or Pepsi, and water is the last thing I am thinking about, even though I know more water, not less of it.

to7update

Credits
Yeah, they are pros at it! Some songs, some images, they repeat them over and over again, and we still remember them after years have passed. It's all about making a strong message, and no question they study the depths of our brain to get it inside.

maestro

Credits
I think this is the future as of advertising, now that they have found a way to increase consumerism with techniques that are out of our understanding. They are not going to stop.

to7update

Credits
It has been the past, the present, and most likely it will also be the future of advertising, at least until someone legislates against it. At the same time, further development on the way our brain works is being made, so I wouldn't be surprised if they would always be a step ahead of legislation.

maestro

Credits
It has been the past, the present, and most likely it will also be the future of advertising, at least until someone legislates against it. At the same time, further development on the way our brain works is being made, so I wouldn't be surprised if they would always be a step ahead of legislation.
There is no doubt that these people will always win when it comes to such matters. No one from these big co-operations will even admit that there is even such a thing like subliminal advertising so I don't see anyone taking them to court.

to7update

Credits
Yeah because how can that be legislated? I think something was done in the past to avoid those frames inserted in the middle of the ads, but apart from that it's really easy to mess with our mind in the absence of a strong legal framework.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
actually, I see nothing wrong with subliminal advertising, and most of the time I probably do not catch it anyways, and as long as there is nothing wrong with the ad itself, then I see no problem as the business will use any trick in the book to get you to think of their business, even if it is on a sub conscious level, however, when the ad obvious goes in the wrong direction, then the public normallhy speaks up rather quickly, then those ads maybe pulled by the business as they do not want to upset the public anymore then they have, and sometimes a business will completely miss the mark by putting out some type of racist ad that they did not catch before it is released to the public, and I do not think it is on purpose, as I think some compaines are just out of tough their consumer base, and by the time the ad goes out, then it is too late, and the backlash starts.

to7update

Credits
That's the thing, most people don't see anything wrong, and in most cases it's not wrong because there (might?) be legislation and audits about it. On another hand, they make so much research on our brain, that they can lead us to act without we knowing about it, so that sounds like manipulation right?

maestro

Credits
I think we are totally screwed, I mean there is no way of avoiding commercials now that we are addicted to technology. Everywhere you turn they running ads, they are even mounting screens on skylines all over cities so that they can program us to think in a certain way.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Sorry, The Subliminal Advertising building has caught fire and burned down. I think we would focus on creating more interesting Business related topics, rather then posts like, What is your favorite food, what computer do you use? These type of posts are nice, but they really do not contribute that much overall to our forum, and for the time being Advertising Networks will be removed as it does not fit on the forum right now.

Thank-You

Status
Not open for further replies.