The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 115 more
Credits
Being a freelancer can be quite difficult at times, and there are many benefits to becoming a freelancer which can often outweigh any negative aspects. Here are some tips that will assist you in achieving freelance success.

Request Down Payment:

Don't be afraid to demand a down payment of some sort; You do not want to get stuck doing a job only to never see a payment, and demanding a down payment will give your client more motivation to pay you the agreed price for your work, as this way you are not the only one invested in the project. Be sure to request payment at the beginning and at the end of a project and this should be the payment arrangement that you strive to get when you work on a project, and if you are smart, then you will collect your all of your payment up front, however, you also have to consider that the buyer may not trust you anymore then you trust the buyer, and this has to be up to you.

Keep Focused on You Freelance Work:

You need to keep focused on your freelance work if you want to be able to make good income, and there are a lot of people who only see freelancing as a convenient side gig and do not stay too focused on this as you need to not do this as freelancing is just like building a business; you need to work on building your freelance business if you expect that your business will become successful. When you do great work for your clients, not only will they return, sometimes they may even recommend you to their own audience, and it is very important you do what you say, and deliver your client high-quality work as soon as possible.

Keep Working:

You do not want to stop working your freelance business as you want to continue to build a reputation for yourself so you will be able to accept higher paying projects, and If you stop working your freelance business, then you will have to start where you left off if not having to start right from the beginning again. You always want to keep moving forward to bigger and better projects. The problem is that new freelancers always want to start at the top, and this is very difficult to do when you have not proven your worth, and if you want to know your true worth, then work your way to the top, why? Only freelancers that offer high quality will be able to effectively work their way to the top of the food chain, and those freelancers that are out to cheat normally fall from grace quickly as their true colors and experience start showing.

If you want to be a freelance professional, you need to know that it will take you a lot of hard work to get there. You will, however, be able to build yourself a thriving freelance business, and remember, rarely does success come overnight, and if you are offering skills that few can do, then people will start finding you, and the worst thing you can do is give up, if you want to succeed, then you will need to work hard.

Last edited:

Kieranlewix

Credits
Being a freelancer can be quite difficult at times, and there are many benefits to becoming a freelancer which can often outweigh any negative aspects. Here are some tips that will assist you in achieving freelance success.

Request Down Payment:

Don't be afraid to demand a down payment of some sort; You do not want to get stuck doing a job only to never see a payment, and demanding a down payment will give your client more motivation to pay you the agreed price for your work, as this way you are not the only one invested in the project. Be sure to request payment at the beginning and at the end of a project and this should be the payment arrangement that you strive to get when you work on a project, and if you are smart, then you will collect your all of your payment up front, however, you also have to consider that the buyer may not trust you anymore then you trust the buyer, and this has to be up to you.

Keep Focused on You Freelance Work:

You need to keep focused on your freelance work if you want to be able to make good income, and there are a lot of people who only see freelancing as a convenient side gig and do not stay too focused on this as you need to not do this as freelancing is just like building a business; you need to work on building your freelance business if you expect that your business will become successful. When you do great work for your clients, not only will they return, sometimes they may even recommend you to their own audience, and it is very important you do what you say, and deliver your client high-quality work as soon as possible.

Keep Working:

You do not want to stop working your freelance business as you want to continue to build a reputation for yourself so you will be able to accept higher paying projects, and If you stop working your freelance business, then you will have to start where you left off if not having to start right from the beginning again. You always want to keep moving forward to bigger and better projects. The problem is that new freelancers always want to start at the top, and this is very difficult to do when you have not proven your worth, and if you want to know your true worth, then work your way to the top, why? Only freelancers that offer high quality will be able to effectively work their way to the top of the food chain, and those freelancers that are out to cheat normally fall from grace quickly as their true colors and experience start showing.

If you want to be a freelance professional, you need to know that it will take you a lot of hard work to get there. You will, however, be able to build yourself a thriving freelance business, and remember, rarely does success come overnight, and if you are offering skills that few can do, then people will start finding you, and the worst thing you can do is give up, if you want to succeed, then you will need to work hard.
It is possible to be a successful freelancer and exceed your goals. However, this can only be achieved if you identify the right market gap and also happen to possess the specific skill set to satisfy that gap. A while back, a few years or so ago, academic and article writing were both very lucrative for everyone that dared to venture there, if they had the skills. Look at that market now; the same writers who were there then are there now. New writers are not given a shot because clients/students want to pick the most experienced and most reputable writer. I am not trying to discredit your point about hard work, but it is also important to realize that effort is not the only requirement in order to succeed as a freelancer. It is like spending days trying to push a wall yet at the end of it all, it won't budge.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGStaff

DG Staff
Credits
It is possible to be a successful freelancer and exceed your goals. However, this can only be achieved if you identify the right market gap and also happen to possess the specific skill set to satisfy that gap. A while back, a few years or so ago, academic and article writing were both very lucrative for everyone that dared to venture there, if they had the skills. Look at that market now; the same writers who were there then are there now. New writers are not given a shot because clients/students want to pick the most experienced and most reputable writer. I am not trying to discredit your point about hard work, but it is also important to realize that effort is not the only requirement in order to succeed as a freelancer. It is like spending days trying to push a wall yet at the end of it all, it won't budge.
absolutely! We already know there is a need for writers since sites are always looking for quality content all the time, and I would agree that the market is over-saturated with writers that have never written professional copy in their entire life, and you also have to remember, not everyone may want nor can they afford to hire the "best" writer, because the best writer is not going to be cheap, and he/she will not write dirt cheap, then you have not so good writers trying to get clients anyway possible, and they know they can not write worth a damn, to begin with, and even if you have all the right skills, then you will have to build your business portfolio from the ground up, just as if you are starting a business from the ground up, and it will take time.

Heatman

Credits
I started doing writing jobs for my fellow students when I was at the university. I focused on writing projects for those who couldn't write theirs and I definitely ask for full payment for my job or at least 70% payment of what I charged.

The reason why I ask for full payment or 70% of what I charged is that I have had one encounter where I finished work without getting paid. It was a great lesson for me and I vowed never to fall such victim ever again. Even when the individual I'm writing for pays 70% of the money, I still wouldn't complete the job until I receive my full payment.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Credits
I started doing writing jobs for my fellow students when I was at the university. I focused on writing projects for those who couldn't write theirs and I definitely ask for full payment for my job or at least 70% payment of what I charged.

The reason why I ask for full payment or 70% of what I charged is that I have had one encounter where I finished work without getting paid. It was a great lesson for me and I vowed never to fall such victim ever again. Even when the individual I'm writing for pays 70% of the money, I still wouldn't complete the job until I receive my full payment.
You are certainly more than free to come up with your own payment terms, and that is something that a freelancer has to struggle with, not all clients are not, then again, freelancers can be dishonest also, and some more than others, and if it works out for you, then that is what you have to do. As a freelancer, you want to protect yourself as much as possible, and clients are also doing the same, and sometimes you can not tell which clients will scam you until you have turned over your work, then you find out that your work is gone, and you still have not been paid for your work.

Heatman

Credits
You are certainly more than free to come up with your own payment terms, and that is something that a freelancer has to struggle with, not all clients are not, then again, freelancers can be dishonest also, and some more than others, and if it works out for you, then that is what you have to do. As a freelancer, you want to protect yourself as much as possible, and clients are also doing the same, and sometimes you can not tell which clients will scam you until you have turned over your work, then you find out that your work is gone, and you still have not been paid for your work.
I think that freelancers are the ones who bear the risk more than the ones they are are working for. As long as the freelancer is good at his or her job, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't deliver after being paid because just one bad review on his work would ruin his reputation and that marks the end for such person. On the other hand, if someone who contacted a freelancer is serious about the job he or she wants, I don't see any reason why he/she wouldn't pay upfront and expect delivery as and at when due.

maestro

Credits
Also focus on what you need your brand identity needs to be and the type of projects you are going to be taking on. Pick one or two things to specialize in, and only take on work that falls into those categories. Then turn down the rest.

Credits
I think that freelancers are the ones who bear the risk more than the ones they are are working for. As long as the freelancer is good at his or her job, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't deliver after being paid because just one bad review on his work would ruin his reputation and that marks the end for such person. On the other hand, if someone who contacted a freelancer is serious about the job he or she wants, I don't see any reason why he/she wouldn't pay upfront and expect delivery as and at when due.
I would not say that one bad review will kill your online reputation, however, it certainly could if you are a newbie freelancer, but if you are a freelancer that has been around, maybe have 100 good reviews, and 5 bad reviews, then that does not mean the freelancer is dead in the water, sometimes freelancers get too comfortable and get a little lazy, or maybe the buyer left a false review, as I have done this done also.

Also focus on what you need your brand identity needs to be and the type of projects you are going to be taking on. Pick one or two things to specialize in, and only take on work that falls into those categories. Then turn down the rest.
Branding should always be your top focus, as your branding could help increase ROI without much advertising on your end, and case studies have shown, that Google loves branding, and so do people, and they are more likely to remember your site if you have an easy brandable domain. DG told me when he bought DigitalGlobal.com that he hired multiple domain appraisers in order to get their opinion on the domain, and one of them said that the domain passes the "radio" test, which means if you hear the domain on the radio, then you may still remember the domain when you got home, and keep in mind, most human beings have the memory of a goldfish, which is about 2-3 seconds, then they forget, and if you have issues remember this domain, then you must have a memory of something less then a goldfish, because this domain is super easy to remember, so yes, branding is very important for any business.

Last edited:

Heatman

Credits
I would not say that one bad review will kill your online reputation, however, it certainly could if you are a newbie freelancer, but if you are a freelancer that has been around, maybe have 100 good reviews, and 5 bad reviews, then that does not mean the freelancer is dead in the water, sometimes freelancers get too comfortable and get a little lazy, or maybe the buyer left a false review, as I have done this done also.
It's true what you said about getting just one bad review wouldn't mean the end of one's online reputation, but it's good to try and avoid getting such reviews especially when the freelancer is guilty of the bad review. Such reviews might come to bite the freelancer in the future should something like that happen again. I can remember how an exchanger I used to work with got so spooked when he got a bad review from one unsatisfied client. He told me such kind of review kills people confidence in their services.

Credits
It's true what you said about getting just one bad review wouldn't mean the end of one's online reputation, but it's good to try and avoid getting such reviews especially when the freelancer is guilty of the bad review. Such reviews might come to bite the freelancer in the future should something like that happen again. I can remember how an exchanger I used to work with got so spooked when he got a bad review from one unsatisfied client. He told me such kind of review kills people confidence in their services.
Sure, a seller should always offer the best products and/or services, along with their top notch customer service, and if you offer anything less, then people may 2nd guess whether they should buy from your shop or store, and I do realize that sometimes confusion can get in, and both buyer and seller can get confused, and the best thing the seller can do is get everything fixed as soon as possible before things really go south.

Heatman

Credits
Sure, a seller should always offer the best products and/or services, along with their top notch customer service, and if you offer anything less, then people may 2nd guess whether they should buy from your shop or store, and I do realize that sometimes confusion can get in, and both buyer and seller can get confused, and the best thing the seller can do is get everything fixed as soon as possible before things really go south.
This is why it's very important to have a good customer service where you can sort out issues with an aggrieved client before things get out of hand. Any reasonable client would first seek customer service assistance and it's only when he or she isn't satisfied with how the matter is treated, then be ready to get a bed review coming from such individual.

But things can go a lot worse when as a seller, your customers service is the worst in town, where one would have to wait more than 48 hours before getting a response. A review alone on that sellers customer care service alone is enough to give the seller a horrible reputation.

Kieranlewix

Credits
absolutely! We already know there is a need for writers since sites are always looking for quality content all the time, and I would agree that the market is over-saturated with writers that have never written professional copy in their entire life, and you also have to remember, not everyone may want nor can they afford to hire the "best" writer, because the best writer is not going to be cheap, and he/she will not write dirt cheap, then you have not so good writers trying to get clients anyway possible, and they know they can not write worth a damn, to begin with, and even if you have all the right skills, then you will have to build your business portfolio from the ground up, just as if you are starting a business from the ground up, and it will take time.
It is true that not everyone wants to hire a professional freelancer with so many reviews because of their heavy fees. Actually, most people want to hire the writers that charge less. The problem is that those customers who go for less charging writers usually end up being one-time customers as opposed to the ones willing to pay lots for a single job. I have seen this on Iwriter. Some clients have their own specific writer who they always give the jobs to. These kind of clients will actually pay as much as $80 for a single article. That leaves the novices in the dust and as much as most clients will choose low-charging writers, it is really a game of chance on some sites like fiverr where jobs are given on a bidding basis.

Hova

Credits
I feel like I should add that before taking on any projects you should always ask for at least 50% down payment upfront before you start any official work. If the client has an issue with this, then that should raise a red flag.

maestro

Credits
I feel like I should add that before taking on any projects you should always ask for at least 50% down payment upfront before you start any official work. If the client has an issue with this, then that should raise a red flag.
This is a really valid point, all freelancers at one time or another have completed a project for a client, only for that client to then disappear without paying.

maestro

Credits
This is a really valid point, all freelancers at one time or another have completed a project for a client, only for that client to then disappear without paying.

Hova

Credits
As much as I try to see the best in people rather than assume the worst, most of the time it always ends up the same way( in disappointment). In situations like this, I think it's best to seek advice from wiser and more experienced people. The best advice I've ever got is to alwasys move 100% of your payment up front with the promise of a refund.

Credits
It is true that not everyone wants to hire a professional freelancer with so many reviews because of their heavy fees. Actually, most people want to hire the writers that charge less. The problem is that those customers who go for less charging writers usually end up being one-time customers as opposed to the ones willing to pay lots for a single job. I have seen this on Iwriter. Some clients have their own specific writer who they always give the jobs to. These kind of clients will actually pay as much as $80 for a single article. That leaves the novices in the dust and as much as most clients will choose low-charging writers, it is really a game of chance on some sites like F#@%$r where jobs are given on a bidding basis.
It is a numbers game, there will always be those that want to pay as little as possible, and there will always those that will pay for quality, and it is up to the freelancer to market their skill set to potential clients, and it will always be rough for new freelancers/sellers that may be starting out, and it also depends on what the freelancer is offering, is it the same ole same ole, or is the freelancer bringing something that is really in demand to the table?

Kieranlewix

Credits
It is a numbers game, there will always be those that want to pay as little as possible, and there will always those that will pay for quality, and it is up to the freelancer to market their skill set to potential clients, and it will always be rough for new freelancers/sellers that may be starting out, and it also depends on what the freelancer is offering, is it the same ole same ole, or is the freelancer bringing something that is really in demand to the table?
It is definitely rougher for some freelancers more than others. It is better for a freelancer to have a unique skill set but the same skill set should be in high demand, which makes it hard for the freelancer. If you venture into academic, or article writing, then you will find that so many people have dipped their toes in the same avenue, which makes it so hard to score a good and reliable client. On the other hand, if you specialize in a niche like transcription, the demand will obviously be less than for writers, which also makes it hard for the freelancer to earn.

Credits
It is definitely rougher for some freelancers more than others. It is better for a freelancer to have a unique skill set but the same skill set should be in high demand, which makes it hard for the freelancer. If you venture into academic, or article writing, then you will find that so many people have dipped their toes in the same avenue, which makes it so hard to score a good and reliable client. On the other hand, if you specialize in a niche like transcription, the demand will obviously be less than for writers, which also makes it hard for the freelancer to earn.
Then you have those people that have no skills trying to pretend to be a freelancer at something they are not very good to begin with, not only does that dilute the market, it also makes it confusing who really has the skills that they claim to have, and some or most will certainly embellish their resume, and a bad freelancer just makes the entire freelance market look bad because they have no skills but they want to take your money anyways.

Hova

Credits
Taking on projects that you are qualified for is the best way to grow and it's the best decision you can ever make as a freelancer, that is if you are looking to be successful. Remember that the goal is to build a firms credibility and by biting more than you can chew is the exact opposite of what you are trying to do. Turning down projects form clients doesn't necessarily mean that you are not going to be successful. Actually, this is a way of making sure you don't get any bad ratings which will definitely hurt your online presence.