The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 38 more

Using phones and tablets to work from home.

I have noticed that a lot of the people who work from home, or do some kind of freelance writing, do so with their cellphones. Because most cellphones, except for the very basic models, all will go online and access the internet, and can usually do so from almost anywhere, using phones for online jobs seems to have become a common things nowdays.

While I can use my iPhone for doing things online, I find that it is just too small for me to use it easily, and there is the difficulty of typing on a virtual keyboard rather than on an actual keyboard.

I have a large-size iPad, and I use this for almost everything that I do online. Because I have a keyboard case, I do not have to use the virtual keyboard to type, and it is virtually the same as having a very lightweight laptop.

Since I have a hotspot on my iPhone, I can also connect the. Ipad to the phone wifi, thus making the iPad usable. Just about anyplace that a cell phone would be usable.

There are probably some applications where a laptop would work better; but for just basic online writing and general usage, I can do almost anything with iPad apps that I could do if I had a laptop or desktop.

Besides the phone, I have the large tablet and one of the smaller 7” tablets, which is easier to carry around than the large one, and still works like a tiny laptop because of the external keyboard.
6EF5AF46-78AF-481D-B04A-6CD577877AB9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Credits
It's true. I'm currently using my phone in doing some freelance writing. I'm using mobile data because we don't have a wifi yet and my mobile hotspot is kinda slow if I'm going to connect it to our laptop. I know laptop should be better and hopefulIy I could purchase a pocket wifi soon.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
It's true. I'm currently using my phone in doing some freelance writing. I'm using mobile data because we don't have a wifi yet and my mobile hotspot is kinda slow if I'm going to connect it to our laptop. I know laptop should be better and hopefulIy I could purchase a pocket wifi soon.
I am not sure why anyone would use a phone for anything online, as I have never been a fan of using mobile devices online; I guess my big fingers, along with the tiny keys simply require too much effort, and to be honest, I would rather continue using my Acer laptop computer, so I'm good.

to7update

Credits
I do use my phone to translate and trade, basically, but also to watch my emails. I have an old laptop, that is not only heavy, but also has no battery, so whenever I am on the go using the phone is a great way to keep me connected and active. Sure, it's no good for typing, but for small translations, mobile testing, and checking emails is a great tool.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I do use my phone to translate and trade, basically, but also to watch my emails. I have an old laptop, that is not only heavy, but also has no battery, so whenever I am on the go using the phone is a great way to keep me connected and active. Sure, it's no good for typing, but for small translations, mobile testing, and checking emails is a great tool.
Before 2 years ago, I never had a smartphone, and swear between heaven and hell that I would never get one, and to be honest, I was really content using my old monolog cell phone that did not have internet capabilities, but now I could not live without it, even though I do not do a lot of surfing using a smartphone as I find it very difficult, and time-consuming trying to navigate my way around, so I do not use it all that much.

to7update

Credits
Yeah, I can relate with that @DGStaff. My first smartphone (iPhone 5S) was bought in January 2017, solely for work purposes, as I was missing out a lot of tests done for mobile. With the money I've earned with my small iPhone 5S I could have already bought 4 or 5, so I can certainly say it was an excellent investment!

maestro

Credits
Equipped with my Blackberry and a power bank I can spend the whole day online doing some jobs. The only limitation I get is when I browse some sites using my phone I usually don't get all the options.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Yeah, I can relate with that @DGStaff. My first smartphone (iPhone 5S) was bought in January 2017, solely for work purposes, as I was missing out a lot of tests done for mobile. With the money I've earned with my small iPhone 5S I could have already bought 4 or 5, so I can certainly say it was an excellent investment!
I need to upgrade my phone as it does not appear to be very smart; It is an LG phone, and it keeps rebooting without any interaction from myself, and this appears to be a bug in phones operating system or a defect with the phone itself, but since I do not make a lot of calls or use the phone that much for internet, then it is more annoying getting a phone reboot than anything else, and somewhat irritating, but the phone is still alive, and as long as it is working to some degree, then I will most likely not go for an upgrade until next year sometime, unless it dies on me.

Heatman

Credits
If it's working from or at home, I prefer to make use of my laptop computer because it's more convenient for me to work at home with it. I would have said my desktop computer but I really wouldn't fancy being glued at the desktop workstation. Using laptop makes moving around easier for me. The only time I would prefer using phones to work is when I'm out and I have a schedule to keep up with, then I would have no choice but to use my phone to login and complete some jobs.

to7update

Credits
I need to upgrade my phone as it does not appear to be very smart; It is an LG phone, and it keeps rebooting without any interaction from myself, and this appears to be a bug in phones operating system or a defect with the phone itself, but since I do not make a lot of calls or use the phone that much for internet, then it is more annoying getting a phone reboot than anything else, and somewhat irritating, but the phone is still alive, and as long as it is working to some degree, then I will most likely not go for an upgrade until next year sometime, unless it dies on me.
I never had an Android, but I've seen many, and let me tell you I think the iPhone seems to be far superior. Sure, it's expensive, but it's totally reliable, and when we are at the sun, for example, it's always possible to see what's going on the screen, which doesn't happen with most androids I've seen.

Heatman

Credits
Equipped with my Blackberry and a power bank I can spend the whole day online doing some jobs. The only limitation I get is when I browse some sites using my phone I usually don't get all the options.
This is actually happens when you come up with sites that aren't mobile friendly, using phones for jobs takes certain advantage from you. This is actually why I try as much as possible to limit my dependence on using mobile devices to work because when one gets used to it, it would be difficult to readjust.

to7update

Credits
Yeah, some sites don't provide all the options for mobile, that is true, but many times that is solved with using apps.

As for power banks, that is a really neat suggestion @maestro, I am now considering getting one, as my phone gets discharged super fast, and the car charger I have is far from being great.

maestro

Credits
@to7update it is always wise to have a power bank when doing some content writing or any other kind of job online. I have the same problem of battery draining very fast and I have found out that the power bank is a good solution.

to7update

Credits
There have been a lot of complaints from iPhone users that Apple is releasing software that not only drains the battery, but also makes the performance of the device a lot slower. I've heard that this is solved simply by buying a new battery, but most people simply go and get a new phone, most likely what Apple wants.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
There have been a lot of complaints from iPhone users that Apple is releasing software that not only drains the battery, but also makes the performance of the device a lot slower. I've heard that this is solved simply by buying a new battery, but most people simply go and get a new phone, most likely what Apple wants.
I guess people expect old technology to keep up with new technology, so If I have an older phone that uses an old battery, then I would expect that phone could run slower then newer technology that may have been developed to run faster. I have an LG phone that is 2 years old, and the phone randomly reboots, and the battery does run down somewhat, keep in mind, the more resources a phone has to use, then the faster the battery will drain.

to7update

Credits
That is another issue @DGStaff, the newer the technology, the least it lasts. A few years ago a phone or tablet could last for years, now only a couple of years it's considered obsolete and 2-3 models from the same brand have been released. This is crazy, who can afford such changes?

NoviceNinja

Credits
I guess using a tablet for writing is possible, but is it more efficient compared to a laptop or desktop? There are some online jobs, for instance, research, that would require you to have tools which are chrome extensions installed in your browser. You cannot perform these types of tasks on a tablet or a phone.

If you are a Social Media Manager, I guess a phone or tablet could work. But there are programs like HootSuite that you can install on your PC that would make your job a lot more easier.

KellyGeo

Credits
In my opinion and based on how I operate, at home I either make use of my laptop computer or desktop computer because I believe it's best suited to work at home with. Desktop or laptop gives you more features to work with especially having a big screen to work on unlike when it's phones to be used. I'm not saying that the use of phones are entirely bad but desktop or laptop computer gives better experience. It's when I'm working out of home that I'm more comfortable doing it with phones because of the portability it offers, thereby making it easier for me to work with anywhere that I found myself without much difficulty.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
In my opinion and based on how I operate, at home I either make use of my laptop computer or desktop computer because I believe it's best suited to work at home with. Desktop or laptop gives you more features to work with especially having a big screen to work on unlike when it's phones to be used. I'm not saying that the use of phones are entirely bad but desktop or laptop computer gives better experience. It's when I'm working out of home that I'm more comfortable doing it with phones because of the portability it offers, thereby making it easier for me to work with anywhere that I found myself without much difficulty.
If you are just surfing online, and you are comfortable using a mobile device, then that is your option, and more and more people using surfing or visiting websites on their mobile device, however, if you run some type of online business, then you will not be able to manage everything on your mobile device, and I suspect some people still use desktops, and others are learning toward laptops. I use to have a desktop, and I thought I would be using a desktop forever, however, times change, and I found it more convenient to use a laptop compared to a mobile phone or desktop.

KellyGeo

Credits
If you are just surfing online, and you are comfortable using a mobile device, then that is your option, and more and more people using surfing or visiting websites on their mobile device, however, if you run some type of online business, then you will not be able to manage everything on your mobile device, and I suspect some people still use desktops, and others are learning toward laptops. I use to have a desktop, and I thought I would be using a desktop forever, however, times change, and I found it more convenient to use a laptop compared to a mobile phone or desktop.
You have a very good point and I completely agree with you on it. If one is just needing a device to surf the internet, visiting social media sites etc, then I would say that there is nothing wrong with using mobile devices for such task because it's definitely going to serve the need effectively. Using desktop or laptop computer for social media and ordinary internet surfing isn't appropriate in my opinion. Laptop and desktop computer are best suited for carrying out online business than being used for surfing Facebook or Twitter or Instagram etc.