+ 38 more

What do you think about fake news?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Rate Post
5.00 star(s)
I never really understand the motive for fake news, unless it is just to get more traffic to the fake site that is putting out fake news. I guess some people get off on putting out news that simply is not true, and it certainly does not help those that are being attacked with fake news, and as The View stated, this only hurts our country. I remember when I made a visit to the dentist a few months back, and the assistant was going off about how she heard that someone face got blown off by an ecig that exploded in their face, well, that story just did not sound right, as I have never heard about any type of ecig exploding, so being the curious cat that I am, I decided to investigate her claims, and sure enough, I was led to a site showing out his ecig exploded and ripped his face apart, and this dudes bathroom was in ruins due to explosion. The news source was obviously fake, as there are no legit reports of ecig explosions taking off someone's face, much less causing a significant damage to someone's bathroom, that alone does not make sense, so some dude was sitting on his toilet using his ecig, and it exploded?

Does this video look legit? To me it looks fake and doctored up. In this case, I suspect big tobacco is behind this in order to scare ecig users to turn them back into smokers because overall, the tobacco industry is losing billions of dollars due to ecigs take over, and the tobacco industry is desperate, and this is not the first time big tobacco has put out fake news, as I suspect big tobacco was responsible for putting out reports that ecigs are bad for your health, compared to what? Smoking?

This is not to say ecigs or cell phones do not explode, and they do not, the battery is defective or overheats, then the unit catches fire, so how is that classified as an explosion? Cars do not explode, they generally catch fire due to some type of defect in the engine compartment.

Do you spread fake news without source verification? If you can find it on a legitimate news site, ABCNews, or CNN, then there is a high chance that you are being duped into spreading fake news, and you are doing the work for them, and the fake news sites get free publicity, so think before you share that next fake news that looks fake, and Youtube is a cesspool of fake videos when it comes to fake news, not only that, youtube has simply become a cesspool of everything bad, go watch some videos on youtube, and you will see all kinds of crazy videos.

Last edited:

Hova

Credits
Most of us now are prone to manipulation and deceit now that we have all kinds of platforms spreading news today and it is very difficult to choose what to believe. People have made spinning fake stories their full time job and this starts from the most highest point of our governments. After they realized the best way to influence things to go their way is by use of propaganda, they had to own almost all broadcasting companies and that's where the problem began.

maestro

Credits
I would argue that deliberate misinformation whose main purpose is to instigate emotional persuasion seeking to drive action, works whether the news is fake or not. Nowadays, you can just throw the term 'fake news' at anything and it is bound to create confusion in choosing what to believe.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
I would argue that deliberate misinformation whose main purpose is to instigate emotional persuasion seeking to drive action, works whether the news is fake or not. Nowadays, you can just throw the term 'fake news' at anything and it is bound to create confusion in choosing what to believe.
If it is something trump does not like, then it is fake news, however, if something positive comes out of something, then Trump is quick to say he had something to do with it, and trump is chaotic at best, and I feel that he has a very dark soul, of course, he would just call that fake news also. :) and watching too much news can get rather depressing, and these days, the media is putting out all the negative news they can get their hands on, and sometimes it is just better to change the channel, and when the world comes to an end, then I imagine I can just catch the end of days on CNN.

KellyGeo

Credits
Welcome to the world of social media menace. It's where you get to see so much of fake news flying around the internet and the funny thing is that such news tends to spread faster as well as being discussed by millions of people the moment such information overload.

I can still remember one time in the past it was rumored that activities of scientists caused one problem to the ozone layer and it's going to cause skin cancer to people if they don't bath with salt water; It was a crazy time in Nigeria then as almost 99% of all families took their bath with salt water. It's very funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hova

Credits
If it is something trump does not like, then it is fake news, however, if something positive comes out of something, then Trump is quick to say he had something to do with it, and trump is chaotic at best, and I feel that he has a very dark soul, of course, he would just call that fake news also. :) and watching too much news can get rather depressing, and these days, the media is putting out all the negative news they can get their hands on, and sometimes it is just better to change the channel, and when the world comes to an end, then I imagine I can just catch the end of days on CNN.
That is why I gave up on news a long time ago. If it has come to the point where you can't tell between facts and pure lies, then I think it's high time we stop giving them the audience.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Welcome to the world of social media menace. It's where you get to see so much of fake news flying around the internet and the funny thing is that such news tends to spread faster as well as being discussed by millions of people the moment such information overload.

I can still remember one time in the past it was rumored that activities of scientists caused one problem to the ozone layer and it's going to cause skin cancer to people if they don't bath with salt water; It was a crazy time in Nigeria then as almost 99% of all families took their bath with salt water. It's very funny.
Taking a bath in seawater which does contain salt has been known to have certain healing properties, such as helping dry skin, and some other things, however, topics like this may not help our forum rank well in Google, and may very well bring the wrong kind of traffic to the site, however, I guess it is better to talk about something on the site from time to time rather than just business, and I really do not pay all that much attention to the news that much anymore, unless I see something that would be interesting, such as volcanos exploding in Hawii and indonesia which does not look good at the moment.

Heatman

Credits
Fake news are just generated by people to get traffic. It's in fact one of the most discussed news once it's out in the public. I can remember when a fake news about John Cena who is a WWE superstar had died. The information went viral online until an official statement was released from WWE official site that nothing had happen to John Cena.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Fake news are just generated by people to get traffic. It's in fact one of the most discussed news once it's out in the public. I can remember when a fake news about John Cena who is a WWE superstar had died. The information went viral online until an official statement was released from WWE official site that nothing had happen to John Cena.
You would have to really be a down and dirty site with no morals in order to get traffic, and I can not imagine why unless the site had Adsense or some other type of ad revenue model for the site. These scum bags just put out the crap because they know that people thrive on negative news, and just think about it, if our news was rosy and positively full of good things, then would anyone really watch the news? The media brings out the emotions of people because that is what people want to live on, and if something bad happens around the world, then it is good for ratings, and it is exactly the same for fake news, they come out with negative fake news, then it tends to go viral, then the other party has to go do damage control. I think it would be fair if the fake news site could be sued for putting out fake news concerning someone's death since it is closely related to slander, and the affected party could collect punitive damages.

Heatman

Credits
You would have to really be a down and dirty site with no morals in order to get traffic, and I can not imagine why unless the site had Adsense or some other type of ad revenue model for the site. These scum bags just put out the crap because they know that people thrive on negative news, and just think about it, if our news was rosy and positively full of good things, then would anyone really watch the news? The media brings out the emotions of people because that is what people want to live on, and if something bad happens around the world, then it is good for ratings, and it is exactly the same for fake news, they come out with negative fake news, then it tends to go viral, then the other party has to go do damage control. I think it would be fair if the fake news site could be sued for putting out fake news concerning someone's death since it is closely related to slander, and the affected party could collect punitive damages.
Yeah, I agree with you on this completely. It should be made possible in such a way that sites that thrive with publishing fake news should be sued and made to pay damages. In a situation of getting some fake death news going viral, personally I would sue anyone for that.

I can remember during my university days when one of my fellow classmate accused me of plotting to have him killed because of university politics. He made the mistake of sending me that accusations through text messages as well and I used it to hold him for defaming my character and image. I had him sued for that and he paid me damages for it because he had no proof because I never planned anything against him. It was all just the animosity of politics that led him believe I had bad intentions towards him.

NoviceNinja

Credits
The sad part about that is fake news on social media travels faster than the truth. However, The "truth" is usually intricate, nuanced and ultimately somewhat unsatisfying. Fiction can be manageable, easy to comprehend and give attractive consequence-free outcomes. It's in our nature to seek simple answers to complicated questions.

The hardest part is determining fake news from real ones. When someone characterizes something as "fake news" they are either saying "that is a lie" or "I choose not to believe that even though it may be true." Oh well.

Hova

Credits
Personally, I think the best way to avoid being a victim of 'fake news' is by avoiding news in the first place. If you are not one of those people who are always online keeping up to date with everything that is going on, then you should be alright. People will always work to mislead you at all cost, because that is the way to control people's emotions.

NoviceNinja

Credits
Personally, I think the best way to avoid being a victim of 'fake news' is by avoiding news in the first place. If you are not one of those people who are always online keeping up to date with everything that is going on, then you should be alright. People will always work to mislead you at all cost, because that is the way to control people's emotions.
I cannot do that, not care about news. I suddenly remembered, two months ago I watched on YouTube a TEDx talk that is titled "The Magic of Not Giving a F***" by Sarah Knight. It was quite the same. She talks about making a f**k budget on things that you only care about and not mind the other stuff (attending a getaway party of a co-worker that you don't like). According to her, this method is "how you stop spending the time you don't have, with people you don't like doing things you don't want to do. You'll be less busy, less burdened, less annoyed." It's an eye-opener.