The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 115 more

What Ranks Better Long or Short Domain Names?

Credits
buildbr.com vs buildingbridges.com, does it really make a difference? Some say shorter names rank better but I say that it's only easier to remember. Right now all 2, 3 and 4 letter combinations of domain names are taken so I guess as time progress Domain names would become longer.

Credits
buildbr.com vs buildingbridges.com, does it really make a difference? Some say shorter names rank better but I say that it's only easier to remember. Right now all 2, 3 and 4 letter combinations of domain names are taken so I guess as time progress Domain names would become longer.
It depends, rankings are based on multiple factors, and which domain are you likely to remember? DigitalWRGD.com or DigitalGlobal.com? Even if the domain is longer, if the domain is easy to remember, then visitors can do one of two things. 1: People will remember the name of your site, and thus come to your site because your domain was easy to remember. 2: visitors are more likely to engage and interact with a brand name compared to a site that is called DigitalCars which really does not make sense, and I have seen some stupid crazy domains out there, and if we want to add a 3rd factor, then we can say that an easy to remember brand name also can be related to trust; visitors are more like to trust brand compared to some generic site, not only that, google also prefers branding more than anything, and all of this can factor into better rankings in the long run.

Google just does not look at the short domain vs long domain as google uses many factors in order to determine where your site should be ranking in search engines, and this also includes bounce rate, time on site, interaction, and so on, however, in a way you are right, what domain is likely to be remembered, buildbr.com or buildingbridges, in this case, I think the 2nd domain would be more likely to do better, and it also comes down to the owner, and how good they are with their marketing and promotion efforts. If buildbr.com is doing a better marketing job then buildingbridges.com then obviously the first domain may do better, but the 2nd domain has a better chance to succeed if the site if marketed correctly, however, if the 2nd domain is difficult to navigate, then that can be an overall negative for the site also, so long domain vs short domain simply is not as cut and dry as it may sound, as there are many factors that Google will take into account in order to determine rankings.

Credits
It depends, rankings are based on multiple factors, and which domain are you likely to remember? DigitalWRGD.com or DigitalGlobal.com? Even if the domain is longer, if the domain is easy to remember, then visitors can do one of two things. 1: People will remember the name of your site, and thus come to your site because your domain was easy to remember. 2: visitors are more likely to engage and interact with a brand name compared to a site that is called DigitalCars which really does not make sense, and I have seen some stupid crazy domains out there, and if we want to add a 3rd factor, then we can say that an easy to remember brand name also can be related to trust; visitors are more like to trust brand compared to some generic site, not only that, google also prefers branding more than anything, and all of this can factor into better rankings in the long run.

Google just does not look at the short domain vs long domain as google uses many factors in order to determine where your site should be ranking in search engines, and this also includes bounce rate, time on site, interaction, and so on, however, in a way you are right, what domain is likely to be remembered, buildbr.com or buildingbridges, in this case, I think the 2nd domain would be more likely to do better, and it also comes down to the owner, and how good they are with their marketing and promotion efforts. If buildbr.com is doing a better marketing job then buildingbridges.com then obviously the first domain may do better, but the 2nd domain has a better chance to succeed if the site if marketed correctly, however, if the 2nd domain is difficult to navigate, then that can be an overall negative for the site also, so long domain vs short domain simply is not as cut and dry as it may sound, as there are many factors that Google will take into account in order to determine rankings.
Agreed that there's a lot of ranking factors and that not all Short domain names are good and can help you rank better. It's all about comprehension and recall that plays a large part on the interaction and navigation of traffic. If you have a long domain name that is easy to comprehehend and understood then it is more effective than a short domain name that sounds gibberish and has no meaning thus people would forget it or will make mistakes in its spelling so the name of the game is comprehension that will ultimately affect the sites rank.

The more easily it is comprehended, the more memorable, the more traffic, the more engagements, the more conversions in a correctly created, comfortably navigated site.

johnywalker

Credits
Length of the domain name is not related to search engine ranking. As long as your domain contains keywords and has backlinks and social signals, you will gain a great push in search engine ranking. However, it is true that people easily forget a long domain name, thus, your domain name should be short and easy to remember.

bendahara

Credits
The most important thing about domain name is not so much on long or short but whether is it easy to remember? If the people can remember your site, it will be a success.

johnywalker

Credits
The most important thing about domain name is not so much on long or short but whether is it easy to remember? If the people can remember your site, it will be a success.
search engine ranking is not related to the length of the domain names, it is related to keywords, content quality, backlinks etc. The domain is easy to remember does not mean search engines will rank higher.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Credits
That is not true, however, I can say, that your odds of success could improve by using branding, other then that, just having branding alone will not guarantee success by any means as there are all sorts of factors that need to work together, and some of these factors may include, branding, SEO, quality of design, quality of design, even engagement has a role.

I can even give you an example as I do a lot of research, so let's take Fiverr for example, they appear to have a solid, easy to remember domain, however, why do they promote their site using Adwords since the domain is so easy to remember? Just about anytime I do some type of research, I see Fiverr ads all the time, and I assume they use Adwords in order to extend their reach, just because you have an easy to remember domain/name does not guarantee you any level of success, however, having an easy to remember name can give you an advantage compared to names that are not easy to remember, and sometimes that edge may work well, and sometimes it may not, or maybe you have to take advantage of that edge by promoting your site in order to target an audience that you may not be able to reach just by having a domain that is easy to remember.

personally, I think DigitalGlobal.com is a potential gold mine, and one day, DG may have to promote this site in order to reach our target audience faster, however, if people like what they see, then word of month can help in a big way also, but that does not mean the site will succeed if we should sit back and hope people find us, even though we have an easy to remember name. This is not the movies, and just because you build it does not mean they will always come, and this still could go both ways, and yes, branding certainly can make things a lot easier, but branding alone does not guarantee the success of a site.

chameli

Credits
Generally speaking, search engine ranking does not depend on the domain name. However, if your domain name has contain keywords, it might rank higher. ranking of website depends on number of factors such as keywords on the domain name, meta tags on the domain, content quality, keywords and meta tags on contents etc.

kattech

Credits
When you read some SEO blogs, they will tell you that a shorter domain name is far better than a longer domain name. What matters to me is getting the domain of choice other than length. In simple terms, a short domain name can easily be remembered than remembering a longer domain. Say adamsorientaltechnologies.ext vs aot.ext. I am sure you see what I mean. But this also is a choice!

DigitalGlobal

Digital Global℠
Staff member
Credits
When you read some SEO blogs, they will tell you that a shorter domain name is far better than a longer domain name. What matters to me is getting the domain of choice other than length. In simple terms, a short domain name can easily be remembered than remembering a longer domain. Say adamsorientaltechnologies.ext vs aot.ext. I am sure you see what I mean. But this also is a choice!
The length of your domain can have a positive or negative effect on SEO. If your domain is short, and easy to remember, then people can find your site easily, and as a result, your SEO could improve, however, If I hear your complex, long domain over the radio, then I may forget all about your site by the time I get home because I could not remember your domain, this in itself does not effect seo because I never made it to your site, however, if I did make it to your site by remembering your domain, then this would be a plus for any SEO efforts you may be doing on your site.

Lets say you had a site called DigitalGlobal.com, sure the domain is a little long, however, on the plus side, the domain name is easy to remember, and is fairly catchy, so if you heard Digital Global on the radio, then do you think you would remember the domain by the time you got home? So unless you have dementia, then your answer would probably be yes, so if you can remember the domain by the time you got home, then this domain would pass what some would call the radio test.

Another benefit for having a short, easy to remember domain is increased ROI on your ad investment. If people can easily remember your domain, then they are likely to remember it the next time they may need to visit your site, which will increase ROI because you did not have to pay anything extra for that person to remember your site, however, if your domain is more complex, then your advertising my not pay off because your visitors will forget your site the moment they leave, and they may not remember the name of your domain in the future if they decide they want to visit your site again in the future.

So having a short, easy to remember domain can:

Have a positive effect on SEO.
Increase ROI on advertising campaigns.
(as a result lower advertising costs)

More profit, and less ad spending is always a plus....