• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What Ranks Better Long or Short Domain Names?

Apr 7, 2018
Credits
buildbr.com vs buildingbridges.com, does it really make a difference? Some say shorter names rank better but I say that it's only easier to remember. Right now all 2, 3 and 4 letter combinations of domain names are taken so I guess as time progress Domain names would become longer.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Feb 12, 2018
Everywhere....
digitalglobal.com
Credits
buildbr.com vs buildingbridges.com, does it really make a difference? Some say shorter names rank better but I say that it's only easier to remember. Right now all 2, 3 and 4 letter combinations of domain names are taken so I guess as time progress Domain names would become longer.
It depends, rankings are based on multiple factors, and which domain are you likely to remember? DigitalWRGD.com or DigitalGlobal.com? Even if the domain is longer, if the domain is easy to remember, then visitors can do one of two things. 1: People will remember the name of your site, and thus come to your site because your domain was easy to remember. 2: visitors are more likely to engage and interact with a brand name compared to a site that is called DigitalCars which really does not make sense, and I have seen some stupid crazy domains out there, and if we want to add a 3rd factor, then we can say that an easy to remember brand name also can be related to trust; visitors are more like to trust brand compared to some generic site, not only that, google also prefers branding more than anything, and all of this can factor into better rankings in the long run.

Google just does not look at the short domain vs long domain as google uses many factors in order to determine where your site should be ranking in search engines, and this also includes bounce rate, time on site, interaction, and so on, however, in a way you are right, what domain is likely to be remembered, buildbr.com or buildingbridges, in this case, I think the 2nd domain would be more likely to do better, and it also comes down to the owner, and how good they are with their marketing and promotion efforts. If buildbr.com is doing a better marketing job then buildingbridges.com then obviously the first domain may do better, but the 2nd domain has a better chance to succeed if the site if marketed correctly, however, if the 2nd domain is difficult to navigate, then that can be an overall negative for the site also, so long domain vs short domain simply is not as cut and dry as it may sound, as there are many factors that Google will take into account in order to determine rankings.

Apr 7, 2018
Credits
It depends, rankings are based on multiple factors, and which domain are you likely to remember? DigitalWRGD.com or DigitalGlobal.com? Even if the domain is longer, if the domain is easy to remember, then visitors can do one of two things. 1: People will remember the name of your site, and thus come to your site because your domain was easy to remember. 2: visitors are more likely to engage and interact with a brand name compared to a site that is called DigitalCars which really does not make sense, and I have seen some stupid crazy domains out there, and if we want to add a 3rd factor, then we can say that an easy to remember brand name also can be related to trust; visitors are more like to trust brand compared to some generic site, not only that, google also prefers branding more than anything, and all of this can factor into better rankings in the long run.

Google just does not look at the short domain vs long domain as google uses many factors in order to determine where your site should be ranking in search engines, and this also includes bounce rate, time on site, interaction, and so on, however, in a way you are right, what domain is likely to be remembered, buildbr.com or buildingbridges, in this case, I think the 2nd domain would be more likely to do better, and it also comes down to the owner, and how good they are with their marketing and promotion efforts. If buildbr.com is doing a better marketing job then buildingbridges.com then obviously the first domain may do better, but the 2nd domain has a better chance to succeed if the site if marketed correctly, however, if the 2nd domain is difficult to navigate, then that can be an overall negative for the site also, so long domain vs short domain simply is not as cut and dry as it may sound, as there are many factors that Google will take into account in order to determine rankings.
Agreed that there's a lot of ranking factors and that not all Short domain names are good and can help you rank better. It's all about comprehension and recall that plays a large part on the interaction and navigation of traffic. If you have a long domain name that is easy to comprehehend and understood then it is more effective than a short domain name that sounds gibberish and has no meaning thus people would forget it or will make mistakes in its spelling so the name of the game is comprehension that will ultimately affect the sites rank.

The more easily it is comprehended, the more memorable, the more traffic, the more engagements, the more conversions in a correctly created, comfortably navigated site.

Top Bottom