The Future Is Here!
Digital Global℠ Forum

Register
Join
+ 38 more

Why are some survey sites restricted to few countries

Heatman

Credits
Being a freelancer has opened my eyes to a lot of opportunities online through which one can easily make money without doing much but just write contents, post and answer some surveys. But it baffles me so much that there lots of survey paying sites out there that would have easily given lots of people the opportunity to make money online with ease but these sites restricts its members to come from few countries like UK, US or CANADA.

What takes away earning opportunities from the rest of people in other parts of the world?

to7update

Credits
That is a very good question, but I think the answer is simple. When building surveys, companies want information on demographics regarding markets they operate in, to gain insight on their users. Most survey companies are from the US and UK, so they mostly accept users from there.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Being a freelancer has opened my eyes to a lot of opportunities online through which one can easily make money without doing much but just write contents, post and answer some surveys. But it baffles me so much that there lots of survey paying sites out there that would have easily given lots of people the opportunity to make money online with ease but these sites restricts its members to come from few countries like UK, US or CANADA.

What takes away earning opportunities from the rest of people in other parts of the world?
Sounds pretty reasonable that a company would want to do surveys in areas that would benefit them most, and if their customers are from the US, then it would not make sense to conduct or offer surveys in another country, and other countries may not even be developed enough to put surveys to good use, or maybe other 3rd world countries that are less advanced may have no use for surveys, and I would think that Canada, US, and the UK would be the top of the food chain, and I would think those are the countries that you would see surveys most, other countries maybe less advanced.

Heatman

Credits
That is a very good question, but I think the answer is simple. When building surveys, companies want information on demographics regarding markets they operate in, to gain insight on their users. Most survey companies are from the US and UK, so they mostly accept users from there.
I understand that reason believe me but I also believe that concept called business expansion. Nothing stops a country to expand throughout other parts of the world and as such there survey would get important information from people who contribute to it. Or better still, they would allow their survey to be conducted in other countries and see the manner of information they acquire and make a decision on either expanding to such countries or not.
Sounds pretty reasonable that a company would want to do surveys in areas that would benefit them most, and if their customers are from the US, then it would not make sense to conduct or offer surveys in another country, and other countries may not even be developed enough to put surveys to good use, or maybe other 3rd world countries that are less advanced may have no use for surveys, and I would think that Canada, US, and the UK would be the top of the food chain, and I would think those are the countries that you would see surveys most, other countries maybe less advanced.
The third world countries are developing with a great rate currently because there are lots of foreign investors spilling down to take advantage of the resources here. Nothing stops these companies in UK, US or CANADA from following these foreign investors footsteps.

to7update

Credits
Sure, a business can expand, but let's suppose that particular business has distribution only in the US. What point would it make to survey users from Europe if they have no business there? That's how I see it at least.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Sure, a business can expand, but let's suppose that particular business has distribution only in the US. What point would it make to survey users from Europe if they have no business there? That's how I see it at least.
I do not do survey, everytime you hear anything about surveys, then it tends to be on the negative side, or they pay so low that it would not be enough to turn my TV on, ROFL, however, survey sites know what they are doing as they are making good money from those that they do business with, however, then all of sudden they get cheap and pay almost nothing that would be worth making mention of, and others just plain out scam you, while they are making money from their clients, but when the survey gets into your hands, then you get almost nothing for doing the survey, ironic.

Kieranlewix

Credits
I understand that reason believe me but I also believe that concept called business expansion. Nothing stops a country to expand throughout other parts of the world and as such there survey would get important information from people who contribute to it. Or better still, they would allow their survey to be conducted in other countries and see the manner of information they acquire and make a decision on either expanding to such countries or not.

The third world countries are developing with a great rate currently because there are lots of foreign investors spilling down to take advantage of the resources here. Nothing stops these companies in UK, US or CANADA from following these foreign investors footsteps.
I understand your plight Heatman. I also had a survey phase and it is certainly a convenient way of earning quick cash. The reason some survey sites limit the surveys to people residing in a certain state, is because the business they are trying to gain insight on is located in that country/state. For instance, in my country Kenya, we have a chain of supermarkets called Tuskys. So far, they have spread to Uganda but to no other African country. If they were to decide to start a survey website, it would only be limited to Kenyan and Ugandan citizens. This is because the chances of a Sudanese or Rwandese citizen having shopped there are very slim.

to7update

Credits
I do not do survey, everytime you hear anything about surveys, then it tends to be on the negative side, or they pay so low that it would not be enough to turn my TV on, ROFL, however, survey sites know what they are doing as they are making good money from those that they do business with, however, then all of sudden they get cheap and pay almost nothing that would be worth making mention of, and others just plain out scam you, while they are making money from their clients, but when the survey gets into your hands, then you get almost nothing for doing the survey, ironic.
That's another side of surveys, many times they are biased because the questions are not made correctly. Sure, at the end of the day it's a cheap and effective way to collect information from users, but the demographics determine what users the companies want, from what region, age, and so on.

Heatman

Credits
I understand your plight Heatman. I also had a survey phase and it is certainly a convenient way of earning quick cash. The reason some survey sites limit the surveys to people residing in a certain state, is because the business they are trying to gain insight on is located in that country/state. For instance, in my country Kenya, we have a chain of supermarkets called Tuskys. So far, they have spread to Uganda but to no other African country. If they were to decide to start a survey website, it would only be limited to Kenyan and Ugandan citizens. This is because the chances of a Sudanese or Rwandese citizen having shopped there are very slim.
I get that believe me but I must confess that it's really frustrating getting to see an opportunity to earn money being passed up as a result of residency differences. It's true that gathering information through surveys is best when it comes from people who would offer valid and valuable data as regards to the survey questions.

Heatman

Credits
That's another side of surveys, many times they are biased because the questions are not made correctly. Sure, at the end of the day it's a cheap and effective way to collect information from users, but the demographics determine what users the companies want, from what region, age, and so on.
I can't help but agree more to what you said about some information gotten through survey turn out to be bias and inaccurate with most people not caring about the information they give as with regards to the survey questions.

I can still remember clearly when I conducted a research on one project and needed a survey carried out. Most of the questionnaire I used for gathering information were ruined as a result of inaccurate information given by so many people.

maestro

Credits
I don't trust survey sites especially the ones that keep poping up with every page you load. Maybe it is because I've had a bad experience with every site that I've tried or maybe it's because most of them are scams.

Heatman

Credits
I don't trust survey sites especially the ones that keep poping up with every page you load. Maybe it is because I've had a bad experience with every site that I've tried or maybe it's because most of them are scams.
Pop up notifications about survey sites is not worth it because most of them are scam sites that are looking to generate traffic. I only take interest in survey sites that are approved to be legit.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Pop up notifications about survey sites is not worth it because most of them are scam sites that are looking to generate traffic. I only take interest in survey sites that are approved to be legit.
Google has moved against popups, so if Google finds a popup on your site, then this would violate google guidelines, and this would be enough for Google to deindex the site, however, that does not mean every site will comply with Google guidelines, and Google will catch them sooner or later.

Heatman

Credits
Google has moved against popups, so if Google finds a popup on your site, then this would violate google guidelines, and this would be enough for Google to deindex the site, however, that does not mean every site will comply with Google guidelines, and Google will catch them sooner or later.
Some site owners are just gambling with these pop ups in order to see what they may be able to gain from people using it. Even when they are aware it's now against Google rules and regulations, knowing fully well of the consequences of getting caught, they still make use of it. I still come across sites that still allows pop up notifications and I try as much as possible not to accidentally click the notification because I hate getting routed to another page I didn't want to visit when I'm in a particular site.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Some site owners are just gambling with these pop ups in order to see what they may be able to gain from people using it. Even when they are aware it's now against Google rules and regulations, knowing fully well of the consequences of getting caught, they still make use of it. I still come across sites that still allows pop up notifications and I try as much as possible not to accidentally click the notification because I hate getting routed to another page I didn't want to visit when I'm in a particular site.
google can penalize a site for various reasons, including having malware, phishing, etc. So if your site engages in this type of behavior, then there is a pretty good chance that Google will give your site a penalty at some point. Google does like to sit back and watch, and this is why it can take some time for a site to get a Google penalty, then once the site gets a penalty, then the site owner has to work hard on reversing his bad actions, and another thing that I have noticed is that people are still setting up sites with thin content, and you can get a penalty for having thin content.

Oh my, how did we so far off topic? ROFL.

Heatman

Credits
google can penalize a site for various reasons, including having malware, phishing, etc. So if your site engages in this type of behavior, then there is a pretty good chance that Google will give your site a penalty at some point. Google does like to sit back and watch, and this is why it can take some time for a site to get a Google penalty, then once the site gets a penalty, then the site owner has to work hard on reversing his bad actions, and another thing that I have noticed is that people are still setting up sites with thin content, and you can get a penalty for having thin content.

Oh my, how did we so far off topic? ROFL.
Are we really spinning off topic? I didn't know that at all, and having said that I think this concludes the discussion on the topic. You can lock the thread for no further replies. There are plenty other threads that needs to be fully discussed and exhausted as well.

Thanks.

Credits
I feel left out whenever I see survey sites that aren't accepting registrations of users from my country or location. Almost all the good survey sites are only open for those countries that you've listed. This isn't only limited to survey sites. Some good beer money sites are only open for US citizens.

Hova

Credits
Since some data needed by these survey sites are required to be collected from certain countries that is the main reason why restrictions are made.

NoviceNinja

Credits
Well, some people hide their IP address by using a VPN service in order for them to receive more surveys and this method might be tempting but I advise you not to do it. You might end up getting banned and lose all the earnings you already have. Some sites will let you know that they have detected something strange and give you a chance to explain, but others will ban you without any warning. This instance happened to me on SliceThePie haha! :p

KellyGeo

Credits
Let me give you a descriptive explanation or example why most survey sites are restricted to few countries and excluded to the rest of the world.

Now, I believe that we all went to the university but for some of us who are yet to attend, please grab the information which I'm about passing on now.

During the final year of a student's session in the university, the student is required to carry out a written or practical project to round off his or her days as a student. In this project, there is a part where a questionnaire must be prepared and distributed for data collection with respect to the project scope of study.

Take for instance, the scope of the project study is New York City metropolitan area, distributing the questionnaire outside this scope of study would generate irrelevant data for the project. This is my most survey sites are limited to few countries.