Why Should I Become A Freelancer?

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Becoming a freelancer has become incredibly popular with a large group of people all over the world, and there are many reasons as to why someone would want to become a freelancer including the following.

You Can Be Your Own Boss

When you become a freelancer, you no longer have to work for someone else, and you can decide when and where and how much work you are going to do; Being your own boss is one of the biggest reasons that people decide to freelance, and this allows them to reach their own goals as far as how much money they will be able to make, however, being your on boss or working for yourself as this is no easy task, and you will have to work hard, and have lots of self-discipline which is not easy.

It Can Get You Back to Work

If you have been out of work for a while then it can take some time to find a new position and with freelancing, you can get to work right away; Additionally, many freelance positions turn into permanent positions if the employer wants to retain your services, and if your position is not permanent, then maybe long term for sure.

You Can Travel More or Work From Home

Many freelancers travel all over the world as they are able to take their work with them, and this is an enormously appealing aspect of freelancing for many people. If travel is not your thing and you would rather work in a home office, freelancing can offer you that as well, and who would not want to make extra money as a freelancer?

You Can Gain Experience

When you become a freelancer, you can gain valuable experience not only from working in your specific niche but on how to market yourself as a freelancer. This is important experience if you want to be successful with freelancing, as the more experience that you have, then you will have a better chance of getting hired.

There are many reasons that a person may look into freelancing. If you are looking for a way to earn good money for whatever reason, then freelancing might just be for you. What skills do you have that are in demand? Are you a good content writer? Can you create minding blowing graphics? Can you create stunning websites? If you have digital skills, then you may as well take advantage of those skills.

Last edited:

Heatman

Credits
Becoming a freelancer is one channel most of our youths are following lately because of the situation of the country's economy. A graduate would stay 5-8 years without getting any good job while the government does absolutely nothing to help this situation.

It's for the good of those that discovered means to earn money from home without being idle. Remember, they say that an idle mind is the devil's workshop. Personally, I stayed 3 years at home before I was able to get one average paying job until I was introduced to being a freelancer and I took the opportunity with both hands.

I read mass communication and graduated with almost a first class honors, so writing has been part of what I do since my year one in the university, it's actually why picking up as a freelancer wasn't that difficult for me. I have tried introducing some of my friends into the profession but they all find it hard to adapt.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Becoming a freelancer is one channel most of our youths are following lately because of the situation of the country's economy. A graduate would stay 5-8 years without getting any good job while the government does absolutely nothing to help this situation.

It's for the good of those that discovered means to earn money from home without being idle. Remember, they say that an idle mind is the devil's workshop. Personally, I stayed 3 years at home before I was able to get one average paying job until I was introduced to being a freelancer and I took the opportunity with both hands.

I read mass communication and graduated with almost a first class honors, so writing has been part of what I do since my year one in the university, it's actually why picking up as a freelancer wasn't that difficult for me. I have tried introducing some of my friends into the profession but they all find it hard to adapt.
There are alot of people out there that want to start a business, maybe it be related to freelancing or something, however, most times then not, they have no clear direction on what path they should take or even how they should proceed, even @DigitalGlobal had the struggle to find out what may be a good platform to go with as he did not want to put up some low-quality script that would crap out once the site got going, and sometimes it can be difficult to find your way, and sometimes you just have to jump in the water and hope for the best, and luck is needed too.

Heatman

Credits
There are alot of people out there that want to start a business, maybe it be related to freelancing or something, however, most times then not, they have no clear direction on what path they should take or even how they should proceed, even @DigitalGlobal had the struggle to find out what may be a good platform to go with as he did not want to put up some low-quality script that would crap out once the site got going, and sometimes it can be difficult to find your way, and sometimes you just have to jump in the water and hope for the best, and luck is needed too.
Taking a leap of faith is good sometimes when it comes to making a decision in venturing into a new business but I really wouldn't encourage such action to be done often without regard because it's higher rate of backfiring in the face of the individual. I prefer working with facts as it's the best thing that would give you a blueprint of operation, it's more safer to base a business on a functional blueprint.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Taking a leap of faith is good sometimes when it comes to making a decision in venturing into a new business but I really wouldn't encourage such action to be done often without regard because it's higher rate of backfiring in the face of the individual. I prefer working with facts as it's the best thing that would give you a blueprint of operation, it's more safer to base a business on a functional blueprint.
Any business plan can backfire, even if it appears to be a sure bet in the beginning, and I am sure when DG thinks about this domain, it may sound like a sure bet, but you never know, and this can absolutely go in any direction, and I am sure even good domains have failed to bad planning and leadership, and I hope that is not the case for Digital Global, but I am not the one in charge, nor am I the one pulling strings, and making decisions, and all I can do is give me advice, and sometimes I am told "that is a good idea" and other times I am told "maybe that is not a good idea."

Heatman

Credits
Any business plan can backfire, even if it appears to be a sure bet in the beginning, and I am sure when DG thinks about this domain, it may sound like a sure bet, but you never know, and this can absolutely go in any direction, and I am sure even good domains have failed to bad planning and leadership, and I hope that is not the case for Digital Global, but I am not the one in charge, nor am I the one pulling strings, and making decisions, and all I can do is give me advice, and sometimes I am told "that is a good idea" and other times I am told "maybe that is not a good idea."
I completely agree with you on this that nothing is guaranteed 100% in anything we do, not even life is guaranteed no matter how careful one take care of his health. What one can hope for is to that one's effort wouldn't end up disappointing the individual.

to7update

Credits
I've tried to be a freelancer on F#@%$r, but it didn't work out very well. I tried mostly in translation area, and there is a lot of offer on that field, so no one asked for my help. I suppose freelancers with technical skills will manage better, but nothing like trying.

Heatman

Credits
I've tried to be a freelancer on F#@%$r, but it didn't work out very well. I tried mostly in translation area, and there is a lot of offer on that field, so no one asked for my help. I suppose freelancers with technical skills will manage better, but nothing like trying.
Quitters are the ones who actually fail but once they keep trying and never give up there is always the possibility of succeeding. Just like I have bumped into several roadblocks in some freelancing site, the experience never stops me but what it does is motivate me to push on which has actually given me a breakthrough in some.

Last edited by a moderator:

to7update

Credits
Yeah, I can't say I am a quitter haha, but freelance jobs don't pay as well as usertesting, translating and crypto, so I just shifted my time and efforts to that area. I am sure others get good money as freelancers, but that was not my case.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Yeah, I can't say I am a quitter haha, but freelance jobs don't pay as well as usertesting, translating and crypto, so I just shifted my time and efforts to that area. I am sure others get good money as freelancers, but that was not my case.
You have to find out what works best for you as a freelancer, because if it takes too long to complete a job, then you are no longer making any money, and maybe working for free, and you have to find something you can complete easily, and quickly, and start building up your freelance portfolio.

Kieranlewix

Credits
In my opinion freelancing is not for everyone. You have to possess a certain skill or qualification that sets you apart from the rest of the freelancers. Needless to say, many people are opting for online jobs in order to avoid going to work and also to be economically independent. Actually, there are so many people quitting their jobs to become freelancers. I first tried to be a freelancer on F#@%$r. It did not go well. Other freelancers have awesome resumes, the kind that you as a customer would like to offer a job to. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: My resume on the other hand was very dry you know, no details and not much to put on the experience field. I was trying to score a transcription gig and eventually I just gave up and joined TranscribeMe. I am a transcriptionist there and the pay is not bad either.

to7update

Credits
You have to find out what works best for you as a freelancer, because if it takes too long to complete a job, then you are no longer making any money, and maybe working for free, and you have to find something you can complete easily, and quickly, and start building up your freelance portfolio.
Many times it's not how long I take to complete a job, but the time I dedicate to get that job. There are platforms where we just post an ad (and it's time consuming), but nothing comes up. Other platforms require that we apply to each add individually, so that's insane because tons of people are trying to get that job. It's not worth my time.

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
In my opinion freelancing is not for everyone. You have to possess a certain skill or qualification that sets you apart from the rest of the freelancers. Needless to say, many people are opting for online jobs in order to avoid going to work and also to be economically independent. Actually, there are so many people quitting their jobs to become freelancers. I first tried to be a freelancer on F#@%$r. It did not go well. Other freelancers have awesome resumes, the kind that you as a customer would like to offer a job to. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: My resume on the other hand was very dry you know, no details and not much to put on the experience field. I was trying to score a transcription gig and eventually I just gave up and joined TranscribeMe. I am a transcriptionist there and the pay is not bad either.
Sometimes, you have to do what you gotta do, and I am not all that sure about F#@%$r, but if they are like any other platform, then I would suspect popular gigs is the bread and butter, but you have to figure how to get popular so you can be included on the home page so you can get more paying customers, and I am not really sure how F#@%$r ranks their gigs, none-the-less, it is probably like a catch 22 for newbies as paying customers do not want to be the first guinny pig, and they will buy from sellers that have more ratings, and positive reviews, otherwise, it would be a battle to the top, and if you never gig to the top selling your product or service, then you are going to be one of the losers that no-one buys from, and cycle repeats.

Many times it's not how long I take to complete a job, but the time I dedicate to get that job. There are platforms where we just post an ad (and it's time consuming), but nothing comes up. Other platforms require that we apply to each add individually, so that's insane because tons of people are trying to get that job. It's not worth my time.
sure, if a freelancer has a hard time getting a job to begin with, then I guess it would not matter how much time you spent on the job, as you first have to get the job, and your goal would be to get hired as quickly as possible, and then complete the job in a timely manner, and find the next job.

to7update

Credits
Yeah, that's precisely it. These days almost everyone in the world wants to be a freelancer, and that is why the jobs are not only underpaid, but also extremely hard to get despite of that. To be a freelancer we must have some needed skills, or else is not even worth to try.

Heatman

Credits
Cryptocurrency is a good investment, I do that as well. I know a few people who are actively into bitcoin mining and other Alt-Currency dealings. I haven't tried out translating jobs yet because I'm still not good enough in that field but I'm taking learning lessons on languagesareeasy.com

DGStaff

DG Staff
Staff member
Credits
Yeah, that's precisely it. These days almost everyone in the world wants to be a freelancer, and that is why the jobs are not only underpaid, but also extremely hard to get despite of that. To be a freelancer we must have some needed skills, or else is not even worth to try.
That conversation can go both ways, the freelance market may be oversaturated, but there are also a lot of freelancers that cost an arm and a leg, and this depends if they have any spots available as they are so high in depending, and availability may not come open that often, and people will know if they got a good freelancer or not, and if they get ahold of a solid freelancer that they are looking for, then they may not want to let go until they are done, and if the freelancer does on-going freelance work, then you could be waiting several months for a spot just to come open.

You are right, my friend. It is really hard to be involved in freelance life, especially when you are a newbie, it's hard to find costumers who are willing risk their money in a newbie, they would rather choose the freelancers who have a lot more experience.

Quitters are the ones who actually fail but once they keep trying and never give up there is always the possibility of succeeding. Just like I have bumped into several roadblocks in some freelancing site, the experience never stops me but what it does is motivate me to push on which has actually given me a breakthrough in some.
Not all the time that you quit, means that you fail, sometimes, that kind of job is really not meant to be for you. Maybe there is something better than that.

Heatman

Credits
Not all the time that you quit, means that you fail, sometimes, that kind of job is really not meant to be for you. Maybe there is something better than that.
If you are wise, you should already know your level of experience and where you are an expert which would help you not to take up any job which you aren't sure of being able to deliver on.

Doing a job and quitting on it half way only leaves a bad reputation for you which would likely follow you for a long time if care isn't taken.

KellyGeo

Credits
Being a freelancer is a good feeling, it pays as long as you are good in what you do. But I seriously wouldn't encourage one being a full time freelancer. It's good to have other physical job to supplement one's earnings as a freelancer, it's the only way I see one being able to take care of all his financial responsibilities. Money made from being a freelancer wouldn't be enough to take care of my needs personally, so it's the reason why I work as a part time freelancer and take up other jobs.